We're the Kids of America discussion

News > Arizona Migrations Law PASSED

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) What do you guys think about this newly passed law. For those of you who don't know, Arizona passed a law simply saying that its ookay to racialy profile a person. For those don't understand what i just said," is it okay for police to stop people because they look a certain way and ask them for there documentation because he/she suspects the individual is illegal immigrant? I personaly think this is b.s. BUt i am interested to hear what you think.

message 2: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (Goodreadscomwheeze) | 110 comments I think this is the one of the shittiest (pardon my french) laws ever made.

message 3: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (Goodreadscomwheeze) | 110 comments I mean, come freaking on! Just because a person looks a certain way doesn't mean that they... ugh, this law is prejudiced and wrong. Whoever thinks it's right has some serious issues.

message 4: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) Thank you, i am totally against it. i was extra furious. You can't ask for someone identifications if just cause you feel like it. That's a violation of rights.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This law states that the police only check immigration status when they have a good cause. That is what the law says not what you people think. Read the book that follows for what the founding fathers say is what our goverment is supposed to be.The 5000 Year Leap: The 28 Great Ideas That Changed the World

message 6: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) So0 according to you and the cops what would be a good cause to check your immigration status? The law is racially profiling people specially hispanics.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Dolan | 74 comments personally i think that it is racist and f****ed up, but that is just my personal opinion. i realize that there are sometimes legitimate reasons for things like this, but this is in my opinion a few steps too far.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) Legit reasons to check would be stuff that the cops are supposed to stop you for anyway- for example, driving over the speed limit.

message 9: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) It is f****ed up. Actually cops aren't suppose to ask you for your documention when they pull you over. They have to ask for your liscense & your insurance. Now they arrest people for not having their liscence but that makes sense. Its unconstitutional to ask for your documentation.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) It's unconstitutional to be in this country illegally- hence the term illegal.

message 11: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) It is not unconstitutinal. It is illiegal though. Do you even know what unconstitutinal means?

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) Yeah. Who doesn't?

message 13: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) No offesense but apparently you don't; unconstitutional means it goes against the constution. No where in the constitution does it say that coming to America is wrong. It is ILLEGAL to come to America even though they don't want more immigrants, that IS a law. I agree with arresting people at the border, but I don't agree that cops get to ask for that out in public. Its racially profiling people, its wrong. You can't go asking people for their personal information. Amendment 4 & 9 say that what their doing is wrong. Police cannot search you without having probable cause. & amendment 9 says that human beings have more rights than stated in that piece of paper.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) I know unconstitutional means it goes against the constitution. Duh.

Police cannot search you without having probable cause.

Yep, that's right. They're not going to search anyone without probable cause.

message 15: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (Goodreadscomwheeze) | 110 comments Okay Iriana and I get what you're saying but they just leave it so vague "without probable cause" that leaves it up to opinion. Which is going to cause problems, racial profiling is going to occur- it's inevitable.

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) :-\
I don't really know what else you could do though... Arizona has gotten really bad.

message 17: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) Of course it has. Did you hear what happend, that they dragged this Puerto Rican man from a police car because he didn't wanted to show his social security card. Stuff like this will keep happening. they have to banned this law.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) That's not what I was referring to....

message 19: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments The government is desperate to filter out illegals, which is a good enough basis for a law, but the definition of 'probable cause' really needs to be expanded upon.

message 20: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) Sara Without An }{ wrote: "That's not what I was referring to...."

What were you referring to then?

message 21: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "The government is desperate to filter out illegals, which is a good enough basis for a law, but the definition of 'probable cause' really needs to be expanded upon."

That's true Rachel. I still think its a horrible law. Can't they come up with an alterntative. People will stop coming here if their contries aren't in horrible conditions. They only come here for better opportunities. I don't understand why we won't help them. EVERYONE is a f****n hypocrite if you don't like immigrants. ALLLLL your families came here illegally one point or another.

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) Iriana wrote: "Sara Without An }{ wrote: "That's not what I was referring to...."

What were you referring to then?"

I was talking about the fact that there's a lot of crime going on there.

message 23: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) But the only reason crime has increased is because of all the prejudice that's going.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Thomas | 41 comments Arizona is doing this because they want the U.S government to back them up. Now thats not gonna happen because the good majority of America thinks this law is bullcrap.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Naomi wrote: "Okay Iriana and I get what you're saying but they just leave it so vague "without probable cause" that leaves it up to opinion. Which is going to cause problems, racial profiling is going to occur-..."
Probable cause is strictly defined as a broken law.

message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments Iriana wrote: "♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "The government is desperate to filter out illegals, which is a good enough basis for a law, but the definition of 'probable cause' really needs to be expanded upon."

That's tru..."

That is true that conditions in Mexico are terrible...but we in America can't really do too much about that - we can only pressure Mexico's government. I think our citizenship test could be a bit easier (although it's not that hard...)
But I think I'm missing something about your last sentence, because a lot of people I know came here 100% legally...?

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara (weisthis) I think Iriana is referring to when there was a lot of immigrants in the early 1900's...?

message 28: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
"I think our citizenship test could be a bit easier (although it's not that hard...)"

Millions of people passed it in Ellis Island quite easily in a time with no internet or widespread knowledge, and it was only a simple test of basic American history.

message 29: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) Its not the citizenship test that is a problem. When you come into this country you can't be like "Uh i feel like being a citizen today let me go and take the test". Its no like that at all. Other citizens have to ask for you to become a citizen and they can only be your intermidiate family. USA doesn't want immigrants they don't like em they don't want em. This country was build from immigrants I just don't think its right to have people being thrown out like dogs on the street because they simply don't have a single scrap piece of paper with a number in it.

message 30: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
""Uh i feel like being a citizen today let me go and take the test"."

Actually, it is sorta like that.

message 31: by Iriana (new)

Iriana (ibalbian) hahahahaha