Aram Book Discussion discussion

2010 Discussions > "Paying the Price of Low Prices"

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (trina26) | 4 comments Mod
Steven has a section in the “Growing Trust” chapter called “Paying the Price of Low Prices.” In it he details the hidden costs that go into our “low cost” foods. I was appalled if not surprised to learn just how expensive industrially grown foods are in the long run. Did anybody else have a similar reaction? Were there any other food facts in this book that shocked you or made you think?

message 2: by Marv (new)

Marv | 11 comments Frankly, when I first started to read this book, I found I was not much interested in the topic. I was less than pleased with the format of interrupting Kingsolvers narrative with Sidebars by her husband and recipes from her daughter. However, as I read on (I still have over 100 pages to go) I found that I was developing an interest in this. I actually went to the website that offers guidance in making cheese. I find myself questioning whether we need to eat grapes in May (yes we do--they are delicious)but my awareness is now heightened to the issues and I am glad we are reading this book.