Ravelry Knitters discussion

Knitting for Begginers.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thea (new)

Thea (thea7) I just started knitting and the only think I know how to do is knit stich and cast on. I'm young and only 15, and no one I know knows how to stitch. Do any of you know of either a begginer book or a begginer website that can help me? Thanks :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You can search Youtube, or go to Lion Brand's Website and they have a "Learning Center."

Hope this helped!

message 3: by Thea (new)

Thea (thea7) Yes, it has! The Lion Brand's Website is useful. Thank you!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You're very welcome! I used the Lion's Brand website to learn how to purl, and I just loved the video.

Good Luck with your future projects!

message 5: by Thea (new)

Thea (thea7) Thank you so much!

message 6: by Danique (new)

Danique (danique23) | 1 comments I refer all my beginner students to knittinghelp.com, they have excellent videos and you can see how to do all the techniques in both continental and english style.

message 7: by Dora (new)

Dora | 1 comments I really like Knitting Help as well. The videos are short, but really well thought out, so you can learn new techniques very quickly.

message 8: by Anki (new)

Anki (shadrachanki) | 1 comments The internet has a lot of valuable information and videos on different knitting techniques, but it's also good to have at least one reference book that you can tuck into your knitting bag. My two favorite books for that purpose are The Knitter's Handbook: Essential Skills & Helpful Hints from Knitter's Magazine and The Knitter's Companion: Expanded and Updated.

Both books cover the basics as well as more advanced techniques, and they're both sized so that they fit easily into most knitting bags.

There is a fair amount of information duplication between these books (and other books of a similar type), but I've really found it useful to compare things in several books. Sometimes one set of directions can just be confusing to you, while another way of phrasing things makes the whole thing crystal clear.

You might also want to check out some of the knitting magazines available on the market. I am personally quite fond of the various Interweave Press magazines, but there are a lot of good magazines around.

Out of curiosity, do you have a local yarn shop? Most yarn shop staff are more than willing to help fix a quick problem, and a lot of times the shops will have basic knitting instruction or regular group knitting sessions for little to no money.

message 9: by Thea (new)

Thea (thea7) Thank you everyone for your help!

Anki, yes there is a local yarn shop near me and I have asked them for help before. My schedule is just very busy and I do not have time to visit them as often as I would like. Thank you for the great book suggestions, they both seem very useful!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I also use knittinghelp.com. It has a wealth of information and lots of videos. I learned how to knit on double pointed needles from knittinghelp.com. :)

message 11: by C.G. (new)

C.G. Brill http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0N3VRG

Grab a FREE copy of my beginner's guide for knitters now. This is a fun and cute guide to get you started in knitting, and it's absolutely FREE for the next four days! Check it out and leave a comment.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0N3VRG

message 12: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 05, 2015 10:39AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments From Gritty to Knitty, I take it this is.

ETA: You can claim your GR author's page at the bottom of the page here: Christian Queiroz, by the way.

message 13: by Desiree' (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) Hello everyone! My name is Desiree'. I haven't posted in a while as I have been busy with school assignments and work. I have read everyone's posts here and I have an assignment to ask for feedback from within the knitting society.

I am taking an Entrepreneurial class; one of my assignments is to create a survey and ask for people to complete it. It is a Market Survey on Beginning Knitting classes. I am teaching knitting classes as well, this is why I chose to create the survey on knitting for beginners.

I am not spamming; the survey taker remains anonymous. I am also looking for feedback from those who take my survey with questions they think I should have asked.

The link is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WTKHV6B

Thank you, I look forward to reading your input in this dialogue box.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Jung (mkjfrj) | 30 comments I would also ask if the student has prior knowledge of knitting. What other types of needlework do they so - crocheting, embroidery, quilting, sewing, tatting, etc. and also a question related to what they hope to take away from this class.

I wish you good fortune with your teaching. I've always found it rewarding to teach someone a new skill especially one that they can carry on throughout their life

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 32 comments I took an entrepreneurial course a few years & learned to appreciate surveys. I'll be glad to take your survey. Good luck & please share what you learned when you wrap it up.

message 16: by Desiree' (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) Mary wrote: "I would also ask if the student has prior knowledge of knitting. What other types of needlework do they so - crocheting, embroidery, quilting, sewing, tatting, etc. and also a question related to w..."

Thank you for your feedback Mary, I greatly appreciate it. This will truly help me with a future survey not for credit but for profit. Thank you again.

message 17: by Desiree' (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) Tiffany wrote: "I took an entrepreneurial course a few years & learned to appreciate surveys. I'll be glad to take your survey. Good luck & please share what you learned when you wrap it up."

I will let both you and Tiffany know the results once we review it in class. Let me know what questions you think I should include on the next one.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary's takeaway question is a good one, I agree that it would be a valuable addition. Also asking if the survey taker has any questions creates a space where you learn how to improve your survey over time. Thanks for asking, Desiree.

message 19: by Desiree' (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) Thank you to all who participated in my survey. We haven't as yet reviewed our survey's in class; class meets once a week and we have been busy covering the various social media platforms available to us. It is a very fascinating class on social media itself.

Thank you Kathryn for your feedback here and via email. I am keeping all the feedback I receive and I am ready for class with your responses.