Goodtunes discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
Hi everyone looks like School Of Rock won. 8 to 6 I know we have more then 14 members, maybe next month will bring out more voters. Watch when you want and leave you review here and discuss it here. In two weeks i'll start a new nominations thread for next month. Some people may not like it so be prepared for good and bad reviews. Happy watching! :)

message 2: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments Yay! Mine should be up tomorrow.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 15 comments oh man, i love this movie. it makes me feel young to watch it. the coming of age of the geeky misfits. not to mention, i will watch just about anything with Joan Cusack. great music, great acting, great message.my only negative critic is that i wanted to punch Sarah Silverman out, which i guess is indicative of good writing and good acting, but i sort of always feel that way towards her.

message 4: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments Yeah. She is annoying, but thats her part in the movie, and she can really do it.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I also love this movie! It's so much fun! And the music is great! And those kids are really talented (that is assuming that they did the singing/and playing.) And Kelly, you are so right about it being a "coming of age" movie....not just for the kids, but for Jack Black's character! :)

message 6: by Randi (last edited May 06, 2010 05:47PM) (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments They did do the playing. They did it all.

Here's my review :.)

School of Rock is everything you could hope for in a rock and roll movie. A good music knowledge, a little MTV slamming, and some good tunes (no pun intended on the group name), as well as a lot of humor. Jack Black's chracter is hailarious, Joan Cusack's character shows off her drunk acting skills (again), and the kids are priceless. Totally awesome.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Really excellent! Great movie! Very talented kids! Jack Black isn't so bad himself! lol :)

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina My kids and I love this movie. We have watched it at least 10 times! One time I woke them up for school by flinging off their covers and singing (with full air guitar) "You know you're not hardcoooore! Unless you live hardcooooore!"

Good times. Good times.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
I've got to go rent it. I've seen it but that was years ago. I'll wait to comment after I watch it again.

message 10: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments You'd love it again Lori. They don't do a whole lot o hair metal though. But it's still awesome.

message 11: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments Tina, I wish my mom did that. I still get yelled outta bed in the mornings at thirteen.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 126 comments Mod
I loved this movie. Jack Black probably should have been more of a musician because of his love for rock and metal.

message 13: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Jason wrote: "I loved this movie. Jack Black probably should have been more of a musician because of his love for rock and metal."

Jack Black has a band called Tenacious D. They have their own following but I never hear them on the radio.

Another interesting tidbit is that Mike White who played Ned Schneebly wrote School of Rock and he was on The Amazing Race with his father.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Lonnie, I saw him on The Amazing Race. I was so surprised to hear that he had written it! Great movie! And Jack Black was perfect in it! :)

message 15: by Mariel (last edited Jun 11, 2010 11:50AM) (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) School of Rock was based on a music video for Yo La Tengo and was made by the '90s tv show team of Mr. Show with Bob and David (Odenkirk and Cross respectively). Jack Black was a frequent gueststar and they produced his Tenacious D program. Silverman was also on Mr. Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDgpQB...
"Remember the Foghat rule. Your fourth album should be DOUBLE live!" (It kills me when Ira rips the tag off the matress.)

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) It's been a while since I've seen this movie. I'll have to rent it from Netflix again.

message 17: by Mary-Ann (new)

Mary-Ann (arcticsilence) It's been a while since I've last seen it but I loved it from the very start.

I would classify it as one of my feel-good-favorites. Jack Black in particular brings to life the humor of the script. I found the music interesting, and perhaps the reason I love the movie the most is the way that it wraps me up in the fantasy of it all. I would have loved to have had Jack Black substitute teach and release my inner rock star in elementary school. (to be honest I would love that today!) I don't own the DVD but I watch it whenever it plays on television.