For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Group Read > Love is Hell

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Runner up to The Host.

Love is Hell, what do you think?

Do you think love is like being locked in hell?

What do you think of the book?

Let's discuss and have fun!

message 2: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) | 195 comments I am a little scared yet tempted by the title. I don't think love feel like being locked in hell. But hen again, what do I know? I'm only 13. LOL! I think I would enjoy (if I were to read it) according to the title. Is this supposed to be a co-group read for The Host?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It can be a whatever read. It was highly voted for so I offered as a read.

message 4: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) yay youre the best elyssa!

message 5: by Jen (last edited May 11, 2010 10:54PM) (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments I just put my copy on hold at the library. Normally I don't like to read short stories for the reason that they are short. I know, that is their purpose, to be short, but what can I say I love length. ;-) I am going to give it a try and see if I can be pleasantly surprised.

However, I do think that love is hell and I wish it was somehow avoidable...aaaah c'est la vie!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Paperd0ll *evil fiddler*Tisiphone* wrote: "yay youre the best elyssa!"

I know right! :P

I just like to be accommodating.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) I really don't want to read The Host again, but I am thinking about reading this one. Hopefully there will be others to discuss it with! :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a copy on hold. I should be able to get a hold of it in time. :)

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela B I want to read this one but I don't think I'll make it to it this month :(

message 10: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i just got it, im going to start reading it today

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I picked it up from the library. However, I trying to read The Host first. I have way too many books started and I need to finish some of them.

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) I'm about halfway through this. I like the stories so far.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished the first story rather quickly. It was odd and of course interesting. I then picked up The Carrie Diaries (which is good). But I'll jump back in and read another story tonight :)

Kristen, do you have a favorite one yet?

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) I actually think that Love Stuck (Melissa Marr) was my favorite. It was different and over-the-top cute. I enjoyed all of them though, my least favorite being Thinner Than Water (Justine Larbalestier.)

message 15: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i think my favorites were scot westerfeld's and gabrielle zevin's

message 16: by Kristen (last edited May 29, 2010 09:08AM) (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) For some reason, I just haven't been able to get "into" Scott Westerfeld. BUT... I have only read Peeps and The Last Days aside from this short story. I know, I know, I have to read the Uglies series. For whatever reason, I just can't make myself pick it up. It's on my list though, and I am starting Leviathan now.

The Gabrielle Zevin's story was absolutely hilarious! I was reading review of the book, as I often do after finishing one, and found a lot of people thought that most of the stories ended on a sad note. This is the only story that seemed to have a sad ending to me.

What about the ghost story? I thought that it, like the Melissa Marr story that I have already claimed as my favorite, was too cute for my usual tastes but I loved that one too.

With the exception of the Gabrielle Zevin story, I would have preferred all of these as longer tales, maybe even novel length.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela B Sounds like a book I need to read from what you ladies have said...and I personally love Scott Westerfeld

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, let me know what you think of Leviathan. It is high up on my TBR list.

Yes, I was about to say you should read Uglies. I liked it but I have not gotten any farther in the series.

I agree. It would of been nice to have some of the stories a bit longer. We like reading, extra pages would of been good for us :)

Yes, it is actually rather good and interesting. Short stories are always nice for busy nights when you have only a bit of time to give. You can finish without wonder what is next or being upset because you had to stop at the good part.

message 19: by Kristen (last edited May 31, 2010 10:47PM) (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) I will definitely let you know! I'm only about 100 pages into it so far, but it is very interesting. I don't think I have read anything like it before.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished the second story. It is futuristic but fairly good. This story also had several twists that I never would of guessed on.

Looking forward to reading the third story tomorrow :)

message 21: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) the second is the one in the fuure?

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) Yeah, the second story is the Scott Westerfeld one. That one took me a while to get into.

message 23: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) really?it was one of my favorites

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) Well, when it started it was a little difficult for me to figure out what was going on. I actually did like it a lot. The crazy effects of sleep and hormones, lol!

message 25: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) ditto lol

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I liked Scott's a lot. I didn't get it either after the first few pages but the terminology hit me in the head and it said future, duh!

The Hormone displacement was pretty funny. They must all me walking robots. How do you feel something or for someone if you have this monotone life? Did seem like these kids went to school all day long. I mean it was ok for the one girl to take a boat for two hours to get to her class? What? I'd take it back and forth just so I had to miss most of the school day. I also really want to know why the girls name was Barefoot???? What was up with that?

* Off to read the 3 short story. *

message 27: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol i know, weird names

and the dad- what do you need a bed for?isnt it too early for that?

haha i really laughed out loud

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) The name Barefoot did strike me as really, really odd. Perhaps Westerfeld was giving a nod to how outrageous some parents name their children these days. A sign of what could come in the future?

message 29: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) So, Elyssa, Leviathan was pretty much amazing and I suggest that you either move it up on your tbr list and read it immediately or else wait until October after Behemoth comes out to help cope with the madness that the ending will inspire.

message 30: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) oooh Behemoth - I wanna read it

message 31: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Pfaff (kl_pfaff) Me too!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm, which should I do now. Read it or wait? Decisions, decisions.

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments I just finished Love is Hell today. I really liked most of the stories, but I get so sad that they are so short.

I think my favorite was the one by Scott Westerfeld and then after that the one by Melissa Marr

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) (Jen_thebibliophile) | 300 comments I felt bad for the one with the crazy chick! Poor thing...

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you Jen. Those are my favorite two stories as well.

The one with the crazy chick just seemed to be lacking where the ending was concerned. Really? That is it.

Overall most of the stories weren't too bad, and the ones that were good should of been looonnggeerr! But hey, that is what happens when it is a book full of short stories!