European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Kitchen House: Overall (Potential Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Feel free to discuss anything about the book in this thread. If you (and others) are here, you (and they) have finished the book, so don't worry about posting spoilers. If you haven't finished the book, you may not want to read anything here yet!

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina I must admit that I stayed up wayyyyy too late to finish this one! Am paying for it this morning, but it was worth it! The character development made the book--I kept hoping and hoping for a happy turn for Lavinia, but the author kept sticking true to the characters and the integrity of her story line. Good for her. Wondering what everyone else thought about it?

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I loved it, but at the same time found it very depressing - no one got a happy ending.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 99 comments This has probably been my favorite book so far this year. To me it was just astonishing how Captain Pyke's decision to protect his wife/family regarding Belle probably is the main factor that ended up destroying his family.

I do like to think that Lavinia and what was left of her "family" did live happily after the book ended.

message 5: by Tina (last edited May 11, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Tina I thought that after Lavinia got rid of Mr. Boring, that surely it was to make room for Will, then came Marshall, then I thought that surely, somehow, it would work out that they would get rid of Marshall her happily ever after would include Will, but his very pregnant wife threw a kink in that fantasy. That would have been my Hollywood ever after. Sigh.

I thought Captain Pyke made a series of bad decisions. He lived in denial, escaping when he could. He chose to stay away instead of face the situation he had at home--I'm not convinced that he could have missed the signs of his son's abuse and his wife's addiction when he was home--unless he purposely missed them.

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Misfit wrote: "I loved it, but at the same time found it very depressing - no one got a happy ending."

I totally agree with this (and most of the other comments). I also really wanted Lavinia to end up with Will, and at first I thought it might happen (it would have been the predictable thing to do), but as bad things kept occurring, I realized it probably wouldn't. How sad that she came so close! If she only would have talked to him in Williamsburg. :(

Was anyone else expecting Belle to hang at the end? When that first chapter (prologue? can't remember) mentioned the green head scarf, and then had Belle wearing it, I was pretty convinced she was doomed. Then when she put it on Mama the realization hit me of what was coming (although not what would trigger it). What an incredible woman Mama was!

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments The author has mentioned in a couple of different forums (including one here at Goodreads) that she tried to write the story with a *happy* ending and it just didn't turn out to be the same story.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina Misfit wrote: "The author has mentioned in a couple of different forums (including one here at Goodreads) that she tried to write the story with a *happy* ending and it just didn't turn out to be the same story."

I admire her for that. Hate it that Lavinia and Will don't get to live happily ever after with lots of babies that Mama can love on, but certainly respect her for it.

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I know, I sooooo wanted her to have a happy ending with Will. I always, always write a review on every book I've read and I just could not bring myself to do it with this one - I was that torn emotionally.

message 10: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco | 30 comments This is one of my favorite books for this year. I could not stop reading it. I had bought it for my sister's birthday gift; but I read it before I gave it to her. :-) She also loved it and gave it to a friend. We oftn do that to keep the books in circulation.

message 11: by Sera (new)

Sera Laura wrote: "This has probably been my favorite book so far this year. To me it was just astonishing how Captain Pyke's decision to protect his wife/family regarding Belle probably is the main factor that ende..."

I viewed the ending in a similar manner, Laura. I mean after tragedy and devastation at every turn, I thought that the book ended on a very uplifting note in light of the rest of it.

message 12: by Sera (last edited May 21, 2010 09:14AM) (new)

Sera Tina wrote: "I thought that after Lavinia got rid of Mr. Boring, that surely it was to make room for Will, then came Marshall, then I thought that surely, somehow, it would work out that they would get rid of M..."

Oh, Tina, I was so hopeful as well. The fact that every time something could go wrong, did go wrong made me a bit frustrated. I kept hoping that Grissom would surprise me in some way, but no ma'am, she kept true to the tragic storyline, except for the ending.

In my review, I compared this book to The Help, where there is tragedy, but the reader's expectations as to what would happen next didn't play out that way. This is why I could only give Grissom's book 4.5 stars (if the site would have allowed it) and Stockett's book 5 stars.

Still an excellent read though that I would recommend to others.

message 13: by Sera (new)

Sera I thought that it was wrong to hang Mamma or any woman in the story. I've read many books both fiction and non-fiction during this time period, and I'm not familiar with the hanging of women during that time. Does anyone else know whether hanging women was at all prevalent during that time? If not, maybe Grissom just wanted to show what an animal Marshall had become.

I felt bad for Marshall for what happened to him when he was young. No surprises how he would turn out; what a tragedy.

message 14: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Sera wrote: "I thought that it was wrong to hang Mamma or any woman in the story. I've read many books both fiction and non-fiction during this time period, and I'm not familiar with the hanging of women durin..."

Hhhmmm, that's a very good question (and I have no real answer). I suppose something like that could happen since slaves were considered property and maybe it wouldn't have been well documented because of that fact, but this isn't a part of history I've read up on, so I really have no idea. Like you said, I think it could just show what an animal Marshall became.

message 15: by Brigid (new)

Brigid (sillybrigid) | 19 comments Sera -- Men were more often hanged, but it did happen to women, too. Photographs were often taken and sold as souvenirs of lynchings in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and I've seen images before of women hanging alongside children. It's horrifying, but female slaves weren't really treated as "women" so much as they were property.

This book was riveting and heartbreaking. I'm so glad I read it, but I'm also glad to step back from that world for a while.

message 16: by Sera (new)

Sera Thanks, Brigid. I wasn't aware of the lack of distinction in treatment. I'm always amazed with how human beings treat each other.

message 17: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Omg, I can't believe they would hang children! (Well, hanging anyone is terrible, but what excuse could they come up with for children?) I guess it goes back to the idea that they were just considered property. So sad!