Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > What Genre Do You Like Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4144 comments Mod
I like reading contemporary romance. Back in the day, I use to read a lot of historical books, but that taste has changed years ago. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate historical romance, but I'll pick contemporary over it anyday.

If you know of any non erotic or erotica historical dangerous bad boy books, list them. I was on a historical group, but I left it, so I can't ask them for any recommendations.

I have a few paranormal books in my TBR pile. I might try one in the next few weeks. I am not a fan of paranormal books.

message 2: by Pickles (last edited May 02, 2010 05:53PM) (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) Within romance, my favorite sub-genres are historical and paranormal (but I'll read almost anything from contemporary to romantic suspense). Outside of romance, I like mystery/suspense, fantasy/sci-fi, horror, and thrillers. I'm not a huge fan of chick lit or erotica, but I'll read them occasionally.

message 3: by Arch (new)

Hi Harper. Thanks for your reply.

I include suspense, chick lit and even comedy in my contemporary romance. Why? Because they are in present time or at least I see familiarity in them, such as cell phones, alarm clocks, etc.

Maybe I should label them all the same. I tend to read a lot of suspense books. I like a good catcher about FBI agents, Navy Seals, CIA agents, etc.

I also love to laugh, so if a chick lit or comedy is a catcher to me, I will read it. The funnier the better to me.

message 4: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) Hey, Arch. I separate contemporary romance from suspense and chick lit because not all of them are actually set in the present, like The Secret History of the Pink Carnation. Also because, in my mind, chick lit isn't the same as contemporary romance despite the modern setting in most novels. But, then, I don't actively seek out either unless they're from an author I like or have gotten good reviews/recommendations. I definitely prefer historicals.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments Paranormal, Regency Historical, Western Historical, Contemporary- All themes in contemporary. LOVE Military and Law Enforcement themed romances.

message 6: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) I don`t like,
Historical
Chick Lit
Erotica-I will read them if the story is great,but skip over the BDSM,Back Door and MM,FF,etc,etc.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments Don't care for Chick Lit either, but I love Erotica with a M/M or M/M/F theme. I don't even mind BDSM.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited May 03, 2010 06:11AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9734 comments Mod
Romance is my first love. My three faves in that genre are historical, paranormal, and interracial contemporary. I prefer series/category contemporary to mainstream, unless it has a really good romantic suspense theme, along the lines of Anne Stuart. I get kind of bored with the run of the mill boy meets girl formula in contemporary romance (especially if it's about affairs, flings, or hookups), so I like a good action plot w/ a dangerous hero and lots of peril to keep my interest. I wish there was more interracial that had strong suspense plots with dangerous heroes.

I also love Urban fantasy, straight fantasy, classic/supernatural horror, fairy tales, mythology, and folklore.

I like YA in any of the above categories.

I don't care for erotica, chick lit, literary fiction, or human monster/serial killer horror. I also love good action/adventure stories, even if there's not a lot of romance.

I don't care for depressing, bleak, nihilistic themes in books. I like a dark book with a happy ending, though.

message 9: by Arch (new)

I like reading young adults book. I have bought four recently and will have to read them soon.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments My favorite genre is paranormal or UF, then mysteries, erotica, romantic suspense, spy, then thrillers. I do like to mix them up so I don't get stuck in a rut.

message 11: by Arch (new)

I know that paranormal books tend to have a lot of good bad boys. I will have to take a peek at least one of them good bad boys.

message 12: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
My 2 main loves are historical romance and romantic suspense. I've tried some paranormal, fantasy and sci-fi but haven't fell in love with them yet. I have read some erotica but not really into it unless it has a good plot to back it up.

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) Paranormal romance, horror, urban fantasy, fantasy and erotic romance are the genres I'm drawn to most. I also enjoy some historical & contemporary romance but it has to be unique or the characters have to leap off the pages otherwise I'm easily bored.

message 14: by Arch (new)

BarkLessWagMore, I agree with you about characters leaping off the pages.

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 269 comments Right now paranormal romance is my favorite, then urban fantasy, then historical romance, regular romance, murder mysteries, erotica, chick-lit, classics, biographies. The Young Adult category I throw into the genre it belongs to.

message 16: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 59 comments I love paranormal romance and urban fantasy. I used to like romantic suspense, but the plots all seem the same anymore. I need my books to be more than just about the romance, but I do love when there is at least a thread of romance in the story.

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Jaime, I like a complex story with a good romance. You're not alone.

message 18: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I don't like any genre for the sake of it. More that I hope for something truly magical that I'm going to get excited about again. I'd say fantasy is my favorite, but I still raise a wary eyebrow at anything resembling the too oft used LOTR high fantasy style. Urban fantasy gems are hard to root out. I've been so disappointed in mystery novels that it is the very last stopping point for me in libraries and book shops. I was likewise burnt out on historical for years (at least ten). Why can't potential favorites just have my name on them?

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I'd like that too, Mariel.

message 20: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy I like both historical (regency setting) and paranormal romance.

message 21: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments I like romance, esp contemporary. Used to love historicals but then it all 'became' the same or the too-stupid-to-live heroine really made me want to bash her. So I skipped away from the historicals. Philippa Gregory and her Tudor-like stories are an exception though.

Paranormal and fantasy - like them too, but steered away from them lately as they all resemble Underworld or LOTR. Maybe it's chanegd in the meantime, and I don't get the Black Daggerhood, Lover series or Nalini Singh books where I live, so I may be missing out there.

I'm goner for a happy ending though, so romance does it for me. I also love chick-lit and comedy, as long as it's HEA I'm fine with it. Give me a light happy read anyday (yeah, I know, I'm 'fluffy')

Erotica, it's got to have a story/concept behind it, like Megan Hart's books, of which I just read Switch and was very good actually. I don't mind BDSM though half the time, depicted in stories it is very, very far from the actual day-to-day lifestyle.

Lately I'm going more on authors than on books. Some authors I know deliver good stuff, like Tess Gerritsen and Megan Hart, Victoria Dahl, Judith McNaught, Jennifer Weiner. I'm looking more for strong delivery than just a story.

message 22: by Chasidy (last edited May 05, 2010 07:19PM) (new)

Chasidy Z, I absolutely love Judith McNaught's books. My favorite of hers is Until You. I have yet to read Whitney My Love but Remember When was really good in my opinion for her contemporary novels.

message 23: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Chasidy wrote: "Z, I absolutely love Judith McNaught's books. My favorite of hers is Until You. I have yet to read Whitney My Love but Remember When was really good in my opinion for her contemporary..."

Yay, another Judith McNaught fan! The first one I read of her was Night Whispers, totally blew me away this one! The next one I caught was Remember When, and I loved it too.

Been told only great stuff about Whitney My Love and scouring bookstores to find it here.

message 24: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments Its interesting to hear of all these different genres and to realize all the sub-sub-sub categories that come from them. I am a heavy reader and have found over the years that my tastes change probably not so much due to my growth and maturity but because I just get sick of reading stuff that is basically the same over and over again. Right now I'm loving contemporary PNR and Spec Ops suspense, but I don't want historical PNR or political intrigue suspense. I sometimes find a series or author that I like but am surprised by where they are found in the bookstore or library. Like Kelly Armstrong and Kim Harrison are under Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Urban Fantasy but to me they are just paranormals. Lora Leigh is in Romance/PNR but she's often also in Erotica. As a matter of fact, I don't see too many lines not crossed in Romance today that make Erotica a separate genre. But almost ALWAYS my fav FBI/CIA/Special Ops books are found in Romance and not regular fiction. In fact, I find that many of the ones found there are not as well-written or as enticing as those on the Romance shelves. And Young Adult books aren't at all what they used to be either!

message 25: by ReeCee (new)

ReeCee | 38 comments I read a lot of Young Adult, Paranormal and Regency romance. I'm so excited when I come across a really good young adult book/series.

message 26: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Gemma Doyle Trilogy
Mortal Instuments
Hunger Games
Evernight
And....The Graveyard book-Neil Gaiman
I seem to be in a rut and am doing nothing but rereading really but right now these YAs are what are interestinng me.

message 27: by Arch (new)

ReeCee, I have recently bought four young adult books. I have to soon dive into at least one of them.

message 28: by ReeCee (new)

ReeCee | 38 comments Kathy Anne wrote: "Gemma Doyle Trilogy
Mortal Instuments
Hunger Games
Evernight
And....The Graveyard book-Neil Gaiman
I seem to be in a rut and am doing nothing but rereading really but right now these YAs are w..."

I read Hunger Games (excellent) and Evernight. But I found it hard to get into the Gemma Doye and Mortal Instruments series. Maybe I'll give them another try.

message 29: by ReeCee (new)

ReeCee | 38 comments Arch wrote: "ReeCee, I have recently bought four young adult books. I have to soon dive into at least one of them."

Which ones do you have?

message 30: by Arch (new)

ReeCee,

My latest young adult books are:

1. The Golden Rat by Don Wulffson
2. Out of Order by Betty Hicks
3. Disney's Princess Magic: Words from the Heart by Kiki Thorpe
4. Sophie Pitt-Turnbull Discovers America by Dyan Sheldon

message 31: by ReeCee (new)

ReeCee | 38 comments I had never heard of these. Maybe they're more "young" than adult"? I'll look them up.

message 32: by Arch (last edited May 17, 2010 08:01PM) (new)

I bought them from the young and adult section at the library. They have YA on the side of the books. They are books that the library had.

Ets: Check out my young adult shelf. I don't have that many young adult books, for now.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 33: by ReeCee (new)

ReeCee | 38 comments Arch wrote: "I bought them from the young and adult section at the library. They have YA on the side of the books. They are books that the library had.

Ets: Check out my young adult shelf. I don't have that ..."

Thanks for the link.

message 34: by Arch (new)

You are welcome ReeCee

message 35: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments I've just ordered some YA as well. Hope they'll liven up my reading too!

message 36: by Arch (new)

Which ones did you order Cindi?

message 37: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments I just finished one called "Lily Dale: Believing" by Wendy Corsi Straub (I think!) that was good. I have the 1st Morganville Vampires coming, and I forget what else.

message 38: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Cindi
I`ve heard good things about the Morganville Vamps-would you tell how you liked them when you are finished.
I just started Blood Memoery and it`s been good so far,your right ,they do jazz up my reading too when I haven`t read one for awhile.
My favs are Bones and the whole Night Huntress series-talk about energy !

message 39: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 269 comments Cindi wrote: "I just finished one called "Lily Dale: Believing" by Wendy Corsi Straub (I think!) that was good. I have the 1st Morganville Vampires coming, and I forget what else."

I just finished books #1 and #2 of Morganville Vampires. They're really good.

message 40: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 35 comments My tastes in romance seem to go in stages... At the moment my favourites are (in this order):

1. Romantic suspense
2. Paranormal romance
3. Urban fantasy
4. Young adult
5. Historical romance
6. Contemporary/humourous romance

Not into erotica at all - will avoid at all costs. Romantic suspense has been my top for a while now, but they have to be the right mix... Karen Rose used to be a fav, but now she is too far into the suspense for me and I haven't read the last 4. My all time favourite uses to be historical romance and I have literally hundreds of books on my TBR pile in this genre, but I just haven't felt in the 'mood' for them much.
I am fairly new to paranormals and love them a lot, but if I read to many at once I get sick of them and want to read a 'normal' book.

I also like reading a good thriller or two and have just dabbled in my first fantasy/romance with The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson - absolutely LOVED C. L. Wilson's writing

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

You all are talking me into reading the CL Wilson books very soon!

message 42: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 151 comments The genres that I like to read are:
Romance
Romantic Suspence
Historicals(br,westerns,NA,highlander,regencey)
Erotica
I have tried paranormal once and just couldn't get into it although I love a good vampire movie...go figure.

message 43: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments Oh, I love-love-love the CL Wilson series! I'm on pins and needles, as my grandmother would say, waiting on that 5th book . . . . They are such good love stories even tho they're classed as "fantasy". I love sagas like that!

message 44: by Cinquetta (new)

Cinquetta (darkfaer) | 18 comments OHMYGOODNESS hand up werewolf especially if its interracial. I am on them like white on rice. Also enjoy good BDSM with M/F/M interracial. I have not read too many of those I wish more authors write them. Enjoy reading erotica and sci-fi interracial, I know but I love interracial stories. (just good ones) I don't really care for M/M unless hardcore BDSM or M/F/M or more.

message 45: by Ty (new)

Ty I have to ask - what's the difference between paranormal and urban fantasy? I figured urban fantasy was just a more specific genre of PNRs but it seems some ppl are actually putting them as separate categories.

As for me, I favor historical romance (regencies and medievals), paranormals (urban fantasies and vamps), covert ops/military, young adult, and Linda Howard [yes, she is a separate genre herself:]. Also, I loove looove looove stories where the h/h meet or have an encounter in dreams/across time (Lake of Dreams by Linda Howard or Billie Green's Time After Time).

I can deal with some erotica (bdsm is so yawn tho), but chick-lit makes me die inside.

message 46: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments Lychee, good question! The only difference is UF is found in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section while PNR is under Romance. Someone told me there is less sex in UF but I've read Kelley Armstrong and there is some darn hot werewolf sex between Clay & Elena! I wonder how an author gets put in a certain section (i.e.: general fiction vs. romance).

message 47: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments I know the diff between UF and Fantasy is Underworld v/s LOTR. The setting is contemporary, city-like. It can have elements of sci-fi (The Island), run post-apocalyptic (Equilibrium), have shades of alternate abilities (the psi in Minority Report), have PNR creatures in an urban setting (Underworld, the first 2 movies. The third, Rise of the Lycans, was PNR mostly).
UF usually has guns and other types of modern weapons, modern warfare techniques, etc.
PNR focuses more on the otherworldly elements and powers and the like.

Hope that made sense. Sorry I used movie references instead of books. I'm not very conversant with the big PNR trends of the US. :)

message 48: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Cindi wrote: "Lychee, good question! The only difference is UF is found in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section while PNR is under Romance. Someone told me there is less sex in UF but I've read Kelley Armstrong and ther..."

The shelf thing is usually what the main theme of the book is about. If the focus is on the heroine's journey even with an HEA, it will most prolly go up as women's fiction. If the main focus is on the relationship with the hero and (usually) both POVs are there, with an HEA, then it's categorized as romance. I the book falls in the middle of both these genres, or if it has a literary slant, then it's general fiction

There are certain conventions of each genre that are 'checked' out of a list from any book and the list with the most 'checks' or the ones with the most prominent 'checks' gets billed as the shelf/genre it should go on.

I'm saying this from my personal experience though. I worked as senior editor and acquisitions editor for an epub and that's how the genres were determined.

message 49: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Zee wrote: "I know the diff between UF and Fantasy is Underworld v/s LOTR. The setting is contemporary, city-like. It can have elements of sci-fi (The Island), run post-apocalyptic (Equilibrium), have shades o..."

Oh groans. Remind me to proof. It should read, 'I think', not 'I know'. Oopsie.

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Wow. That's great info, Zee. Thanks for sharing.

« previous 1 3