Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Dead in the Family NOT on kindle?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Apmom2c (new)

Apmom2c | 11 comments Seriously, I don't want to buy the hardback version because we'll be moving soon. Does anybody know if it's going to come out on kindle soon? I got all the other books on my kindle!!!

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments arrhh, I'm so upset with kindle for not having DITF, apparently amazon and the publisher of DITF are in some sort of price war. It is really annoying. The Barnes and Noble Nook has it available for digital download for 12.99. Much better than the hardcover price, but I have a kindle and now I'm pretty pissed at amazon for not keeping their bargain and putting the good books up on e-reader format for kindle. They better get this price problem fixed....sorry, I'm ranting. I think i made my point though...

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I got my hardcover new release of Dead in the Family for $12.99 from Amazon. Normally I never buy hardcover new releases since they cost $20-$25. For $12, I treated myself to my own copy of it.

message 4: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 1 comments I know it is annoying that DITF isnt available for the Kindle but I applaud Amazon for what they are doing. Amazon doesnt want to raise the pricing on ebooks and the big publishers are twisting their arms to do so. So Amazon said "Fine, we just wont sell them." A retailer as large as amazon to refuse to sell over priced ebooks may actually get the big publishers attention and make a difference.

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I can buy it for 11.99 on science fiction book club.

message 6: by Apmom2c (new)

Apmom2c | 11 comments So I broke down and bought the hardcover version (grrrr) but now it's not coming until the 24th because I ordered it with another book to save money. Seriously, it's crazy that they want to make the ebook version expensive. It doesn't cost them ANYTHING to print it off!!!!

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I agree about the publishers not wanting to price the ebooks cheaper. Most of the "big" houses are the ones resisting. The smaller and niche publishers grabbed the ebook craze and have run with it, because, truthfully, once they've had someone spend an hour or so setting everything into the appropriate ebook formats, everything they get from the stores is gravy. And they KNOW they are saving buckets of money. I think that the big houses are going, cool, a way for us to save money and make up for what we lose on the dead tree versions. But if the ebook reader vendors aren't willing to put up with that (which is why Amazon refused to participate with their Kindle.) I personally think that the big houses are cutting off their noses to spite their faces, but that's just me.

message 8: by cjbt57 (new)

cjbt57 I was so mad when I went to amazon and didn't see the Kindle version. I clicked on that button "let the publisher know you want this book on kindle". I don't think it'll happen anytime soon and, unfortunately, I won't read it until it does because I hate read hardcover books.

message 9: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments I have the Sony reader and it is available at the Sony eBookstore for 12.99 Are the Kindle versions that much cheaper that it needs to be this big price war??

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) Right now any books published by Penguin or any of their subsidiaries will not be available in Kindle format as a new release.....not sure when they will be...but you can get the e-book from most of the other e-book providers and as long as you don't mind reading the book on your computer you should have no problem....you might even be able to have amazon convert the file to their format if you get the book as a PDF or similar type file......

message 11: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments So I wonder why that is???

I use a program called Calibre to convert files. It was recommended by someone here on goodreads. It is free and converts LOTS of formats so that may be an option too. It is very easy and a great little tool!

message 12: by Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (last edited May 10, 2010 01:54PM) (new)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) Jessie wrote: "So I wonder why that is???

I use a program called Calibre to convert files. It was recommended by someone here on goodreads. It is free and converts LOTS of formats so that may be an option to..."

Ilona Andrews and a few other authors have some information on their blogs about the issue.

For the Kindle uses they will convert PDF files for free but with the new update coming out it probably wont be needed (currently with a PDF file you have no control over text size etc).

Will Calibre convert to the Kindle format?

message 13: by Jessie (last edited May 11, 2010 07:20AM) (new)

Jessie | 142 comments here is the conversion info from the website:
http://calibre-ebook.com/
calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, TCR, TXT

** PRC is a generic format, calibre supports PRC files with TextRead and MOBIBook headers

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments I encountered this issue, too. I own all the other books in this series on my Kindle, including A Touch of Dead, and I'd pre-ordered DITF last October. It didn't occur to me that Ace Books was an imprint of Penguin, and therefore would not be offering new books in Kindle format starting April 1st. :-(

I had to wait a little longer, but Amazon.com was offering the hardcover copy of DITF for the same price as the would-have-been Kindle format, so I took advantage of the low price.

What really bugs me about this whole thing is that - from what I understand, publishers receive the same price for the books regardless of the format. For example, say a bookseller pays a publisher $10 for each copy of one title; if that title is available in hardcover for $24.99 and in e-book for $12.99, the bookseller pays the publisher $10 for each copy, regardless of the format.

And I realize that it costs a lot of money to print so many books and publishers sign a lot of complicated contracts to make sure that they level the playing field between booksellers, but sometimes when they do that, it seems that they're pricing a lot of readers out.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) Dead in the Family is now available on Kindle....they resolved their issues with penguin....

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments Nichole wrote: "Dead in the Family is now available on Kindle....they resolved their issues with penguin...."

I see it, now that you mention it...for $12.99... :-(

message 17: by Cary (last edited Jul 11, 2010 05:51AM) (new)

Cary (vortigern) I was seriously disapointed with Dead In the Family. It was lame for the most part. About 1/4 the book was worth reading. Stuff like " Russell went down stairs, and poured a bowl of corn flakes. While I taked to Claude,Jason BBQd some stakes and he and Michelle asked me over, and Eric was so sad. This is the first Sookie Stackhouse book it was difficult to read through. Also the killing of Claudine in the presvious book was just not right, and the were panthers are just one shifter group to many. I hope Charlaine redeems herself in the next book. Trust me get Dead in the Family from the library. :)