Page to Stage discussion

Light on the Piazza

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
Did anyone manage to tape the Light on the Piazza when it was on PBS? As far as I can tell it has never been released on DVD/VHS. If so, I'd love a copy. I collect musical theatre video clips obsessively, so I'd be happy to make a trade or maybe we could work something out...Hmmm what else am I looking for?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) | 91 comments Mod
I DVR-ed it but didn't save it. Sorry!!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Oh and thanks for bringing this musical up, Jenna.... now I have an idea of what to sing for my Ragtime audition!

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
Good - hope you get a part. Well, if anyone does have a copy...I'm still on the lookout for one! I can always hope....sigh...

message 5: by *~BrOaDwAy~* (new)

*~BrOaDwAy~* (broadwaybound13) | 10 comments What clips do you have?

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
Quite a few, post 1998 or so. Is there anything really specific you are looking for? Lots (most) of Tony clips, and a few others from the Olivier Awards (quality not so good) and culled from other documentaries, TV specials, things like that.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

I may or may not have some DVDs that mey or may not be bootlegs of shows that may or may not have been on Broadway.

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 17 comments Mod
I "may or may not" be able to procure you an item that "may or may not" fudge the lines of copyright infringement laws...ha ha ha

message 9: by Alison (new)

Alison I saw Light in the Piazza this week. My friend was the lead--can't even remember her name now. Clara! It was good--lots of operatic-type singing. I didn't realize this was based on a novella by (Mississippi author) Elizabeth Spencer. It was very reminiscient of Tennessee Williams, with Clara being *special* and all. It reminded me of The Glass Menagerie--with a happier ending.

message 10: by Carolyn (last edited Feb 08, 2009 07:01AM) (new)

Carolyn Ivy (carolynivystein) | 1 comments Alison wrote: "I saw Light in the Piazza this week. My friend was the lead--can't even remember her name now. Clara! It was good--lots of operatic-type singing. I didn't realize this was based on a novella by..."

Hi Alison,

We also saw Light in the Piazza last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Your friend was magnificent in the role, combining beauty, delicacy, and a naive joy and determination in a way that I found delightful. The male lead was amazing as well and the choreography seemed to put us in the streets of Italy. If you talk to your friend please tell her how much we enjoyed her performance.

message 11: by Alison (new)

Alison Oh, wow. Small world. I'm glad you liked, too. I will tell her. I really enjoy that theater--it's so small. No bad seats.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Alison, what is your friend's name? Was this a professional production?

I love The Light in the Piazza. We saw David Burnham as Fabrizio. He's fantastic - beautiful voice and not bad to look at, either! And we saw Katie Clarke as Clara and Christine Andreas as Margaret.

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison I don't think you would know her (Emily Pettit). It's a very small local theater, and she lives here in the Memphis area. I would guess they are not professionals. But I enjoyed it. I would definetely see it again.