Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Sherie's April Reads

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherie (new)

Sherie Kidwell | 26 comments Love Mercy by Earlene Fowler (4.5/5) This is a non-mystery with a new series character but Benni and family appear in small roles. Since this book takes place 10 years later than the Benni series, it is somewhat of a spoiler about Benni's life. I did enjoy this book about a woman in late middle age who has endured tragedies but still has love to give her long lost granddaughter when she appears in her life unexpectedly. I'll read the next one.

A body to Die For by G.A. McKevett (4/5) Another enjoyable Savannah Reid mystery and another gentle lesson in "real beauty."

Little Bitty Lies by Mary Kay Andrews (4/5) This is very well written and often funny but it is also a very hard edged and bitter tale about a woman whose husband leaves her without warning and in deep debt. Her revenge played for laughs made me uncomfortable because in real life it would most likely have landed her in prison.

Blind to the Bones by Stephen Booth (4/5) Well written but so convoluted and full of subplots, I was confused much of the time. Booth certainly brings his Northern England setting to life and the characters are complex.

Promises in Death by J.D. Robb (4.5/5) The murder of a fellow police officer brings out strong emotion in Dallas and her colleagues. A very good whodunit.

Angels by Marian Keyes (4.5/5) Keyes writes with wit and empathy about an Irish woman running from her troubled marriage to Los Angeles.

Exile by Richard North Patterson (4.5/5) This novel about a Jewish attorney defending his former lover, a Palestinian woman, on terrorism charges does an excellent job of helping us understand both sides of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and Patterson's message that both sides need to have empathy should be heeded.

Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman (3.5/5) Maybe Dr. Delaware can tell me why I keep reading these when I've been disappointed with most of the recent ones. This one actually started out with promise when a respectable nurse makes a deathbed confession to her niece but the book was full of lowlifes and much of it was truly stomach turning.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3637 comments FINALLY, someone else who's read LOVE MERCY! I really liked it, too. The look at Gabe & Benni was nice, and I was also glad to know that Dove was still around. I'm SO looking forward to getting STATE FAIR, the new Benni Harper book, later this week. And the Savannah Reid books are favorites of mine. Just waiting for a new one come January.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1644 comments Since I always enjoy Earlene Fowler, I have really got to try Love Mercy. I also love G.A. McKevett books!