Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Jun 01, 2008 02:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 43 comments What are your thoughts about the character, Penelope?

Love her? Hate her? Indifferent?

What do you think were her motivaions for befriending Junior?

Do you think she would have been as interested in Junior if he was a nerdy White boy?

Liz Delzell | 12 comments I didn't like Penelope... was wondering what purpose she was serving in the story? Was she the stereotypical "bleeding heart"? Their relationship was never really defined or explored in any depth, so she was a "flat" character for me. Her relationship with Junior seemed to be more a result of a pang of racial conscience than a romantic involvement.

Diane (dianes) I think that while her relationship with Junior may have started to bug her father, perhaps she actually started to like him for who he was.It's hard to tell, since we didn't really get to know her that well in the book.

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
It is kinda strange that no one can really tell why Penelope liked Junior. I think she liked him because if she didn't talk to him he would've stayed a nobody so I don't think it benefited her in any way. Maybe he had a problem and she had a problem so she felt there was some sort of common ground.

Claire | 8 comments I know this book wasn't about Penelope's story, but it did bother me that her bulimia was thrown out there in a big way at the beginning, and never dealt with again.

I actually found her very believable--the fact that she is so guarded and out of touch with who she is that she can't express herself in anything other than cliches ("I was born with a suitcase," "Everybody thinks my life is perfect," etc.). I liked that it was Arnold who called her on it and got her to open up in a more real way. I think from the very beginning she is attracted to something in him that she needs. After all, he's someone who can throw a book across a room when he's pissed. She is more bottled up and closed off.

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I forgot about the bulimia plot. You are right it wasn't dealt with and I also wish it would've been fixed... if this is for YA I do think a positive message should've been thrown in about bulimia. Good point!

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 43 comments I never "got" Penelope.