Early Autumn (Spenser, #7) Early Autumn discussion

Early Autumn by Robert B. Parker

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

David J. Wonderfully affirmative coming-of-age story concealed within hard-boiled, private-eye format. Lots of wisecracks, lots of shooting and other action, but sensitivity towards people, along with plain common sense, win through.

message 2: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny This was my favorite Spenser book, and I've read them all.

message 3: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo Early Autumn is the book that I give to friends as the best introduction to Spenser. Colloquies between Spenser and Hawk ARE serious high level discussions because they involve death, survival, and delivery of rough or lawful justice. When repartee reigns between the two, the laughs keep on coming.

God bless the late Robert Urich who played Spenser in the TV series Spenser for Hire. It is likely that most women in America were in love with him. Hawk exuded menace; he seemed to have muscles in his breath. In real life, Avery Brooks, Hawk, teaches drama at Rutgers U. Sometimes he video taped his lectures in his costume from the set of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. What a thrill that must have been for his students.

message 4: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny Actually, Robert Urich never worked for me as Spenser. I thought he was too pretty. I saw Spenser as more rugged.

message 5: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo Penny there is truth in what you write. Would someone like Sean Bean fit the character? Spenser as as TV or film personage should appear somewhat thuggish and menacing and still be plausible as a literary wit. Bean is capable of that, but I am not sure he would have been mature enough for the late 1980s TV series Spenser for Hire.

I am interested in knowing your candidates for Spenser.

Quillracer Robert Urich does it for me. When I read a Spenser novel I 'hear' his voice in my head speaking the words. The biggest miss for me was Joe Mantegna as Spenser in a TV movie (can't remember the name).

Ally Cat I just started reading Robert Parker, love the snarky wit of Spencer. Although I remember the Tv series I didn't make the connection until I read these posts.
Might have to get the series on DVD now.

Kathy I thought Urich worked fine as Spenser. Although he's easy to look at, he is able to look tough, too. We get the impression, in the books, that women immediately are attracted, often. Right or not, that implies an appealing-looking guy BEFORE he opens his mouth!