Short Story Book Club discussion

All the Way in Flagstaff, Arizona

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (thebluestocking) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Jessica (thebluestocking) (jessicaesq) Overall, I was pleased with this story. Though it was sad, it also had a sense of sweetness. I mean, the narrator really knew what he had lost. I liked that we were shown that the family was Irish-Catholic without being told so. Also, I loved the character of William-the-pious as a foil for his dad. Finally, I liked the realistic outlook that Irene had acquired just prior to the start of the story. She had tried; he wasn't going to change; she was going to have to make the change. In sum, it was well worth the read.

message 2: by Anna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Anna | 3 comments Yes! I agree. The whole picnic was like a farewell/ partingrite. It was one of my favorites in the book, precisely because of the mellow sweetness.

message 3: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Maria | 10 comments Mod
I enjoyed this quick read as well. I feel bad for Walter because like Jessica said - he really knew what he had lost. I was a little confused at the part where he was playing with the kids and they were laughing, until his wife came out and he noticed that the children were really cowering from him in fear - was the whole playing/laughing just what he thought in his drunken state of mind and her words snapped him back to reality?