Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > books about music

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What are your favorite books about music?

I have a separate shelf for books about music...

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

But three in particular I want to mention...

This one, Our Band Could Be Your Life chronicles the gritty origins of some of the greatest American bands from the days before "alternative rock" (hate that phrase) broke big...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29...

This one, Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk is a remarkably lucid account, told mostly through quotes and interviews, of, well, the history of punk.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

This one, Klosterman's first, is about growing up in the middle of nowhere with a solid love of heavy metal...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24...

I could go on, but I'll stop there. You?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments This was the listopia list that I started on non-fiction about music:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/54...

Do you want non-fiction as well?

message 3: by RandomAnthony (last edited Apr 30, 2010 02:13PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments All of mine are non-fiction too, so sure...thanks, Pi...

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, Pi, I thought Rip It Up And Start Again was excellent as well...

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Noticed King Ink is on your shelf, RA. I love the essay "A Thistle in the Soul."

I will never forgive this book for making Nick Cave sound like just another boring junky.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments King Ink is fucking awesome. I actually bought my copy in Germany, like, twenty years ago. Fuck that guy, Tad. That may have been true a while back, but not anymore.

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments "I Need More" - Iggy Pop

"Babylon's Burning" - Clinton Heylin

"12 Days on the Road: The Sex Pistols and America" - Noel Monk

"Hey Ho, Let's Go: The Story of the Ramones" - Everett True

"Last Gang in Town: The Story and Myth of the Clash" - Marcus Gray

"Open Up and Bleed" - Paul Trynka

"Before I Get Old" - Dave Marsh

"The New York Dolls: Too Much Too Soon" - Nina Antonia

"In Cold Blood: Johnny Thunders" - Nina Antonia

"Get In the Van" - Henry Rollins

"We've Got the Neutron Bomb: The Untold Story of L.A. Punk" - Marc Spitz

message 8: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments One of the most memorable passages in "I Need More" is a wonderfully twisted bit where Iggy reveals his longheld secret desire to have a tail.

Based on the evidence included in the recently-released Legacy edition of "Raw Power," you'd swear the boy up and grew one.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Speaking of Iggy Pop, the music book I've most recently read is "Inside the Music," a collection of interviews and stories about spirituality and music by Dmitri Ehrlich, and Iggy's got a chapter. Dull title and a bit aged (it was published in '97), but very absorbing. It's interesting to know what kind of reaching for the unknown inspires the art.

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments King Dinösaur wrote: ""I Need More", "Get In The Van" and "We've Got the Neutron Bomb" are all amazing. "Get In The Van" has gotten me through some really rough times in my life. The short afterward by Rollins has upl..."

My pleasure! Never was much for Black Flag aside from a song or two, but love Henry Rollins' writing, in particular his tour diaries and "Planet Joe."

message 11: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "But three in particular I want to mention..."

I just reserved Please Kill Me The Uncensored Oral History of Punk (An Evergreen book) by Legs McNeil

I never really got into this genre, but you all are making me excited about it!

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Rollins's Broken Summers (I think that's what it's called, the one about the tour in support of the Memphis 3) is pretty good, too.

Zen, I hope you like that one!

message 13: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments I like Rollins! I forgot about him! (....thinking maybe I should download some MP3s....) Hey, any suggestions for good Rollins MP3s?

message 14: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Zen wrote: "RandomAnthony wrote: "But three in particular I want to mention..."

I just reserved Please Kill Me The Uncensored Oral History of Punk (An Evergreen book) by Legs McNeil

I never really got into this genre, but ..."

Your life is incomplete without it.

message 15: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Clark wrote: "Your life is incomplete without it. "

Yes yes trying to rectify ...far be it from me to go and lose my Zen

message 16: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Another one I forgot to mention from my long-gone youth:

"Diary of a Rock and Roll Star" - Ian Hunter's 1974 tour diary which saw Mott the Hoople touch down as the first band ever on Broadway.

With Queen opening.

message 17: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Here's my Goodreads Music bookshelf - Music

A few of my favorites:

- All Hopped Up and Ready to Go: Music from the Streets of New York 1927-77 by Tony Fletcher

- Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dong by Lester Bangs

- Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981-1991 by Michael Azerrad (the chapter on the Minutemen is worth the price of the book)

- Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield.

message 18: by Zen (last edited May 03, 2010 06:10PM) (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Especially now that "Carburetor Dong" has caught my attention.

message 19: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Lester Bangs was probably the only rock music (or music critic, period) who understood that criticism wasn't just about liking or disliking a particular album; criticism was a way of life, and, most importantly, it was that connection to music that most inspired him.

Well, that, and drugs. And getting into knock-down, drag-out verbal bitchfests with Lou Reed.

message 20: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Good catch, KD.

(I feel like such a tool...)

message 21: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 09, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Doni didn't want to look like she was spamming, which I respect and appreciate, but she says her husband wrote a good book on music in the 70s...

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Planets-...

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
This is an awesome thread. I love giving Sweeter books about music. He reads them cover to cover, and has a mind like a trap so he can later tell me all the interesting parts. I once crossed the line, however, when I bought him This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession and he didn't/wouldn't/couldn't read it. he said repeatedly that he wasn't smart enough for it.

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I'm really excited about this new Greil Marcus book on Van Morrison, When That Rough God Goes Riding: Listening to Van Morrison. I'd say probably the most exciting music writing I've ever read has been about Van, especially the mountain of reflection that's been done on Astral Weeks. That's my Favorite Album of All Time, so I know I'm prejudiced, but it does seem to stir people at the deepest level.

Here's an excerpt of Marcus reading from it. It's long, but it's dense, and you don't need much to get the flavor of it:
http://fora.tv/2010/04/13/Greil_Marcu...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

A friend suggested that I read This is Your Brain on Music. So far its fascinating.This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Alice!

I've looked at that book in the store a few times...maybe I'll see if my library has it...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I second RA's welcome Alice. Books and music, you may be in the right group.

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 03, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

Thanks! I am really not that musical but very interested in how the brain works and how music affects it. I am very sensitive to certain music and from what I am reading most everyone is to a large extent. I am doing a few goodreads questions on this book if you want to type in the title they should come up for you.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That book sounds fascinating, Alice!
And, welcome!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "That book sounds fascinating, Alice!
And, welcome!"

Thanks Jackie.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The Oliver Sacks book Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain is also a really interesting book about music and brains. The connection is amazing.

message 31: by Kathryn (last edited Jun 16, 2010 03:19PM) (new)

Kathryn  (ktron) | 8 comments I don't know if anyone suggested these yet but definitely Let's Talk About Love: A Journey to the End of Taste out of the 33 1/2 series if you're looking for anything regarding the philosophy behind taste. If your interests are geared towards history and developments of genres try Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation and Generation Ecstasy : Into the World of Techno and Rave Culture. Hope any of this is helpful!

message 32: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 30, 2010 06:51AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I want to read the new Kristin Hersh memoir...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/81...

Library doesn't have it yet, though.

message 33: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Dear all

Just spotted this thread & couldn't resist joining in and throwing in my own favourites - I have a lot of music books listed, so here's a few :

The Heart of Rock & Soul by Dave Marsh - DM's 1001 favourite singles

Revolution in the Head - best book on the Beatles

REM's Murmer - 33 1/3 series - this series is all over the map but this is a great one

Velvet Underground & Niso - 33 1/3 series - another great one

Elvis/Goldman !!

How the Beatles Destroyed Rock & Roll - Elijah Wald - a second absorbing book from this guy and hats off to the ridiculous catchpenny title

Romancing the Folk - Benjamin Filene
- Definitive account of the American folk revivals

I have a lot more but I'll stop there!

message 34: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I had no idea Kristen Hersh wrote a memoir. No doubt she'll talk about her struggle with mental illness. I wonder if she'll dish about the so-called feud she had with Tanya Donnelly.

message 35: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Thanks Paul! Good to see you.

I saw Throwing Muses once about a million years ago. Great show.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I loved Kristen Hersh in high school. Did you see the page for her book? One of the readers said "i'm so fucking excited. i gave the quote that opens this book so i'm allowed to name drop that she's my awesome mother in law, right?"

To which I say: she's old enough to be a mother-in-law???

message 37: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments KD...NPR's list of best writing about metal this year, with links...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/20...

message 38: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I've read dozens of books about The Beatles, and one about Jeff Buckley (Dream Brother), plus a few about various classical composers (Bach, Beethoven, etc) but I really don't read that much about music.

Oh, wait. I did read one called Rock Stars Do the Dumbest Things, I think that's what it's called. It was so off-putting. My brain kept screaming, "I DIDN'T NEED TO KNOW THAT!" Thank God there weren't any pictures.

message 39: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I read a book about Janis Joplin years ago, but I don't remember the title or the author.

My Appetite for Destruction: Sex, and Drugs, and Guns N' Roses didn't whet my appetite enough to keep reading.

I'm debating on getting the audiobook Life: Keith Richards. It's narrated in part by Johnny Depp.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I kind of want to read that Keith Richards book. People keep raving about it. I'm less interested in the Patti Smith one.

I'm reading a good book now on the history of West Coast punk...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/89...

message 41: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) RA, I listened to the audio version read mostly by Johnny Depp. Keith did narrate a bit of it as well as Joe Hurley. It is a great book!

message 42: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I kind of want to read that Keith Richards book. People keep raving about it. I'm less interested in the Patti Smith one.

I'm reading a good book now on the history of West Coast punk...

ht..."

That's a good one, RA.

message 43: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Keith Richards' memoir may very well be the best memoir ever written by a rock star.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Dylan's was fun, but I always get the feeling he may be making it up. I'm looking forward to reading Keef's.

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael I think the only R&R autobiography I've ever read has been Me, Alice and that was a long time ago, back when it was first published. Probably the best book on music I've ever read, and worthy of a second read, was Garcia: A Signpost to New Space

message 46: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Michael wrote: "I think the only R&R autobiography I've ever read has been Me, Alice and that was a long time ago, back when it was first published. Probably the best book on music I've ever read, and worthy of a ..."

I just read somewhere that first editions of "Me, Alice" are now going for upwards of $1,000. Somebody needs to step up and re-release it. That and Bob Greene's "Billion Dollar Baby."

message 47: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 26, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Some cool covers of bands featured in Our Band Could Be Your Life...including...St. Vincent covering Big Black?

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/25/1365038...

message 48: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 16, 2011 11:15AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ooh! Bob Mould finally wrote the book he's been threatening to write for 20 years. And my library system has it on order! Must get.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/16/1370348...

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
I did most certainly NOT like Richard's book.

message 50: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Are you In Louisville, Sallers? MMJ plays here this weekend. I thought of you and Louisville.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.