Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's April 2010 Reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Apr 30, 2010 12:35PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3637 comments I read 15 books this month and know I won't finish another tonight since I'm going out with a friend. A couple of 1st rate reads, some pretty good ones and one or 2 not so good!

Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb GLORY IN DEATH by J.D. Robb: 2nd in Eve Dallas In Death series. This series is great for filling in the holes when I can't quite decide what I'm in the mood for. That Roarke...what a man! Grade: 7.5

Holly Blues (A China Bayles Mystery, #18) by Susan Wittig Albert HOLLY BLUES by Susan Wittig Albert: newest in the China Bayles series. This series never disappoints me. Sally, McQuaid's ex-wife & Brian's mother, shows up in Pecan Springs a few days before Christmas claiming poverty and nowhere else to go. China surprises herself when she offers to let her stay with them for the holiday. But wherever Sally is, trouble soon follows. Grade: 9

Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5)  by Patricia Briggs SILVER BORNE by Patricia Briggs: 5th in Mercy Thompson series. Mercy is coming to terms with her relationship with Adam and is worrying about Samuel. The fae turn up for trouble again in this one. EXCELLENT read! Grade: 9.5

Immortal in Death (In Death #3) by J.D. Robb IMMORTAL IN DEATH by J.D. Robb: 3rd in Eve Dallas In Death Series. Another worthwhile read. Grade: 7

Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Murder Mystery, #1) by B.B. Haywood TOWN IN A BLUEBERRY JAM by B.B.Haywood: 1st in new Candy Holliday series. Likeable lead character in a new series set in a small Maine town. Took me awhile to figure out who the killer was in this one. Grade: 8

Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher CHANGES by Jim Butcher: 12th & newest in the Harry Dresden series. This is the best book I've read, so far, this year and will undoubtedly be in my Top 10. Harry does some very "un-Harrylike" things in this one and the stage is set for major upheavals. Grade: 10

Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb RAPTURE IN DEATH by J.D. Robb: 4th in Eve Dallas In Death Series: another good one. Murder aided by VR. Grade: 8.5

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN by Garth Stein: Not my usual read. I loved Enzo and the way he tried to live his dog life, not so much all the racing talk. I find auto racing pretty damn boring unless it's drag racing! Grade: 7.5

Glazed Murder A Donut Shop Mystery (Donut Shop Mysteries #1) by Jessica Beck GLAZED MURDER by Jessica Beck: 1st in new Donut Shop series. Took me forever to get through and didn't much care for the lead character one way or the other. OTOH, there are some REALLY great sounding recipes in this one! Grade: 4

Murder on the Eightfold Path (A Mantra for Murder Mystery, #3) by Diana Killian MURDER ON THE EIGHTFOLD PATH by Diana Killian: 3rd in her Mantra Murder series. A body turns up on A.J.s mom's front lawn on Easter. Elysia laughingly refers to him as her "blackmailer". But it's not so funny when she's the only suspect in the murder! Grade: 8.5

Kiss Of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8) by Rachel Caine KISS OF DEATH by Rachel Caine: 8th in Morganville Vampires series. Michael is asked to come to Dallas to record some music and when Amelie gives him, Eve, Shane & Clare passes to leave Morganville for this, bad things are bound to happen. Grade: 8.5

Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5) by J.D. Robb CEREMONY IN DEATH by J.D. Robb: 5th in Eve Dallas In Death series. Murder with a touch of "witchcraft"? Eve can't let that happen! Grade: 7.5

[image error] ME, THE MOB & THE MUSIC by Tommy James: I LOVED this group when I was a teenager so it was a no-brainer that I had to read this. Interesting stuff about the mob and the music biz in the late 60s and early 70s. Grade: 8

The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks THE REFORMED VAMPIRE SUPPORT GROUP by Catherine Jinks: the title sounded like a fun read. It wasn't. Grade: 2

Vengeance in Death (In Death #6) by J.D. Robb VENGEANCE IN DEATH by J.D. Robb: 6th in Eve Dallas In Death series. How can you not love a book that lets you in on some of Roarke's past? He's the best part of these books! Grade: 8.5

message 2: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments How can you not love a book that lets you in on some of Roarke's past? He's the best part of these books! Grade: 8.5

Ya, you betcha hey!! And they just keep getting better. Started this series last July, and got current with the latest in March. Love, love, love Roarke, and all the other supporting characters also. Glad you are enjoying them also.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Life is back to normal : ) While we love Beautiful Creatures I was disappointed with Holly Blues

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8111 comments Boy Mel, you are really powering through the "In Death" series with Eve Dallas. You're making me want to pick them back up; I've got 2 or three waiting on my TBR.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14682 comments Melodie and Teresa:
I am reading Holly Blues now and liking it so far! Due Monday -- I better hurry!

Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Life is back to normal : ) While we love Beautiful Creatures I was disappointed with Holly Blues"

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3637 comments The "In Death" books are great hole fillers. I pick one up while I'm deciding what else to read. I was able to put the whole set together on PBS. I knew I was holding on to all those credits for some reason!

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1644 comments Thanks for the great reviews Melodie! I see lots of good books ;)

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8111 comments I know what you mean. I keep listing books and getting credits but order very few books.

Melodie wrote: "The "In Death" books are great hole fillers. I pick one up while I'm deciding what else to read. I was able to put the whole set together on PBS. I knew I was holding on to all those credits for..."

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 101 comments Melodie, you had a great month. I have added several names to my TBR list. Your reviews really help.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1382 comments Re PBS-- I'm the opposite of Melodie and Carol. I list relatively few books because I don't have much time to read my own books when I'm in school. I keep on buying credits when a wishlist book comes available. I'll even buy more than one in case the member offering the wishlist book has other books I want. Well, I'm supporting the site.

I wish I could do the same with Goodreads Swap, but it's much more complicated than PBS, many people only want to send books to GR friends and GR doesn't give you the option of handwriting the address. They operate according to the karma system instead of the credit system too. It leads to all sorts of problems.

On the AOL board for this group I used to offer a book occasionally to the first person who e-mailed me. I haven't been doing that here because I wondered if people might have a problem with that. I could use the PM system instead of e-mail here, but if they haven't friended me, they might not want to give me their snail mail.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8111 comments Shomeret wrote: "Re PBS-- I'm the opposite of Melodie and Carol. I list relatively few books because I don't have much time to read my own books when I'm in school. I keep on buying credits when a wishlist book c..."

I don't read a lot of paperbacks in general, so I list maybe 5 in a year, but I've been a member for a few years and the points accumulate. I also re-list the ones I get from PBS so its kind of self-perpetuating. Plus I do have a huge inventory of pb's from conferences and from collecting over the years. I wish I read more because I find it very hard to let a book go if I haven't read it. Otherwise I could make PBS or my local library booksellers very happy.

I've seen people occasionally offer to send someone a book, so I don't think it would shake things up here if you did. And if people don't want to send you their snail mail address, well that kind of takes care of that.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14682 comments Carol and Shomeret:
I agree. I don't often share books since so many I read are library and now Kindle books. I have been loaned books and given books from contacts made here and on AOL, and have always appreciated them!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I've seen people occasionally offer to send someone a book, so I don't think it would shake things up here if you did. And if people don't want to send you their snail mail address, well that kind of takes care of that. ."

Shomeret wrote: "On the AOL board for this group I used to offer a book occasionally to the first person who e-mailed me. I haven't been doing that here because I wondered if people might have a problem with that. I could use the PM system instead of e-mail here, but if they haven't friended me, they might not want to give me their snail mail. ."

message 13: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments I use PBS quite extensively, even now that I have my kindle. I find that I have so many "real" books to read that I'm saving my kindle books for when I'm out and about. At one time I had almost 100 credits there, but I've given some to friends who needed them and used them myself, so was actually getting down to less than 10 last week. I listed a bunch more books and have sent out several so my balance should get back up to what I need soon.

I think as time goes on I'll find I don't have as many books to post there since I'm not buying much new other than on the kindle. Like Carol mentioned though, PBS is self-perpetuating since I tend to repost the books I get from there.

I used to have a REALLY hard time getting rid of any books, but have learned to let go the last few years. My house was overrun!