Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Altered Books?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Jun 01, 2008 07:40AM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Without giving anything away there is a part of the book where a character makes what is essentially an Altered Book. Has anyone made one of these? I have seen some really beautiful ones but have never done it. Part of me cringes at doing that to a book but they are so beautiful and when I think about it there are some books that could use a good altering. Here is a link to some examples if you haven't seen them before. http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/alteredbo...
http://www.artchixstudio.com/gallery/... I am thinking I might try and make some.

message 2: by Mich (new)

Mich | 150 comments I have made several altered books. at first it was 'hard' to think of cutting up or painting in a book but when you look around at yard sales or library sales and see some of the books out there, well, altering it could be an improvement!i totally agree with your thinking on THAT subject!
I have also participated in altered book swaps where you have your book, you work in it, then send it to someone who works in it and hopefully(!) returns it to you with their additions.
it was easier for me to do my first one after i had a theme picked out-nature, i found a book with some lithographs already in it and i just ran with it. probably the best advice i could give you is just run with it, let your creativity flow and dont worry over it. its supposed to be FUN! AND dont set any expectations for yourself! you will be happily surprised!

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
would you like to get one as a gift? I go to the beach every year with my 3 best friends and we always get/make each other something fun and girlie. Do you think this would be a good gift to recieve or would you be thinking 'what the blazes am I going to do with this?'

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli What a cool gift Tera!! You should do it....what a personal thing for someone to make for a friend. Great idea and very cool concept....I had never heard of it before and just checked out the websites. Love it :)

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...

A thread from another group.

You gals are onto something here. Very beautiful!!!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments I think it would be a fun gift! I got into card making a year or two ago, and I received a book on how to make altered books that I can show you. I've never made one, but I think it's something your friends would like to do.

message 7: by Mich (new)

Mich | 150 comments i think the gift idea for your friends is great! you could make each one 'special' by making it about what makes them special to you-things you did together,inside jokes etc
Have fun! and if you need any 'ephemera' well.. post away.. i have a closet full of stuff i am more than willing to share!(game pieces, those little whirlybirds from maple trees,ribbon,lace,buttons)

message 8: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jun 03, 2008 07:53AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) tres interesting! could be done to an old musty harcover that's no longer loved, yes?

this reminds me of the 'image journals' i used to make! (i got a tad behind!) i'd take images from magazines and old books, newspapers, cards, post cards, phrases & the like and paste them into blank sketch books for me to be able to look through when i'm in need of some inspiration!

great idea to do and great idea for a gift (to someone who knows about them!)!

message 9: by MJ (new)

MJ i like the idea.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) | 75 comments I think it's a great idea Tera. I'm currently in the process of making one right now. It's not as elaborate as those on the example pages you gave us links for and thanks for those too. I always love another place to shop. I'm also doing art journaling this summer. It's lots of fun.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments My future mother-in-law does altered books made from children's books that get discarded from her school each year (she is a kindergarten teacher). She made one for my fiance and me about our honeymoon trip to France. It is great and was a really cute gift!