Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Book of the Month (BOM) > [MAY 2010] Lover Mine **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited Apr 30, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
After you have read the book, please feel free to discuss your thoughts here.

Did you like the main character[s:]?
Do you like the plot?
What do you like about the world creation the most?
Do you think you would recommend this book to others?
Would you change anything?
Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]?
Are you going to read the rest of the series?
How long did it take you to get into the book?

message 2: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I got my book today /squeels/ I'll be reading it as soon as I finish up my current book! Can't wait to read it with everyone - though I feel a little behind with all the updates I've seen floating around!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments Did you like the main character[s:]? I absolutely adored John and Xhex, and they've quickly become my favorite couple.
Do you like the plot? The main story line was brilliant; very emotional and engaging with the perfect amount of heat. The Qhuinn/Blay/Saxton was both emotional and brilliant. Qhuinn and Blay really broke my heart and I can't wait for their HEA to play out. I was a bit disappointed by the Payne story line because I really expected more, to get to know her better before her book. Muhrder's story line was very disappointing. I didn't care about the ghost hunters and really thought we'd have seen a lot more of him and that we'd see him interacting with the Brothers, or Xhex at a minimum. The background on Darius and Tohr was great, and it was nice to see it come full circle. And wow, No'One - I didn't see that reveal at the end coming.
What do you like about the world creation the most? Ward does an amazing job of weaving various story lines together to create an amazing reading experience. I think her character development and world building in unmatched in PNR.
Do you think you would recommend this book to others? Definitely, but I would demand they start with the first book - these have to be read in order.
Would you change anything? Beyond my gripes in the plot line question, I was disappointed that we didn't see any of Blay's deflowering, not even a reflection from him afterward. I really thought this book would give her an opportunity to test out the waters of a m/m relationship, and she didn't take it. I was disappointed by the lack of a Darius/John reveal - we all just knew it would happen, and then it didn't. Oh and all of the talk about how different their mating ceremony was going to be failed to materialize. It felt pretty similar to the rest. And finally, I was disappointed by the lack of interaction be characters key to John and Xhex. Z's page time was very limited, no real Beth or Mary. For Xhex I expected more Rehv.
Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]?
I've read everything she's released under J.R. Ward and one of her Jessica Bird novels.
Reviews of Lover Avenged and Covet
Are you going to read the rest of the series?
I've read them all several times and am on my second run through of Lover Mine right now, listening to it on audio this time.
How long did it take you to get into the book? I was hooked from the first page, although because I wasn't drawn in by all of the story lines, I felt myself being tempted to skip ahead for my Qhuinn and Blay, more John and Xhex. =)

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (c31991) | 3 comments Did you like the main character[s:]? John and Xhex were great but I missed the rest of the brothers.
Do you like the plot? I liked seeing John take charge of his own destiny.
What do you like about the world creation the most? The relationships between the brothers… that was missing from this book but in the series it is great. In this book, I enjoyed seeing John and Tohr come back together.
Do you think you would recommend this book to others? Absolutely.
Would you change anything? There were several things in this book that I was not completely happy with. The scenes with Qhuinn and Blay were heartbreaking. I don’t think they have to live happily ever after with a big bow on top, but it was just so sad. Also, I never understood why John and Beth don’t have more of a relationship. She was one of the main reason Darius wanted to come back but they have not real screen time together. Finally, I didn’t care about the Muhrder plot line. Maybe in the future it will seem more relevant but in this book it did not capture my attention.
Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]? I’ve read the whole BDB series and enjoyed them immensely (although some more than others). The Coven was ok. I didn’t get too into it but I’ll read the next.
Are you going to read the rest of the series? Absolutely. I will read any future BDB novels.
How long did it take you to get into the book? Two days.

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Currently reading this one, so far its awesome. It's just going slow because I am super busy.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Just jumping in quickly to say I finished LM last night, and I really liked it. My only complaints are about the WTF? nature of the Muhrder storyline and the way this one kept skipping around like LEn did. You'd get to a good part, and BOOM, here's Lash's POV.

But I really love Xhex and JM, look forward to Payne, and can't wait for more Qhuinn and Blay.

message 7: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I have to agree with you Sarah! The Muhrder storyline was way too drawn out for me. I just wanted back to the other story lines each time I read about the TV producer and the haunted inn.

I am so glad that John and Xhex have found their happy "endings." Payne's book should be really interesting though I'm sad that the heart-breaking torture between Qhuinn & Blay will continue that much longer :(

message 8: by Caleb (new)

Caleb (ccp981) Did you like the main character[s:]? John has never been my favorite character, but it was good to see him come to terms with several of his prior issues and of course I am a fan of love and he got his girl, so that is a plus. Xhex made a huge change, but still maintained some of her original character. I think that was a very interesting element to this story, having seen her evolve more than just in her love for John like the other "wives" we've seen in this series.

Do you like the plot? I liked everything except for all of the time that we spent with the TV crew, there seemed to be no real payoff or solid tie in with that one that we couldn't have gotten simply from Xhex's viewing the TV program.

What do you like about the world creation the most? I like that all of this is going on side by side with the human world, yet the humans don't have a clue about it. I also like that the vampires feed off of each other, although I am not sure if I completely understand how a mated pair can feed from each other and still have it be effective.

Do you think you would recommend this book to others? Of course. The whole series for that matter.

Would you change anything? I would have gone back to Payne for at least a moment in an Epilogue or something. The poor girl just got left hanging there!
Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]? I've read all of the BDB series and I do plan to read Covet...sometime.

Are you going to read the rest of the series? More than likely. I know for sure I will be reading the next book.

message 9: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I am almost done and I have to say that I can't stand the whole TV crew thing going on. It seems like a totally different story trying to be intertwined and it takes away, so far, from the book.

I also don't like the whole background stuff with Darius and Torhment, I tend to skim more than anything because I find it boring. (sort of like the lesser parts in the early books in the series)

I am digging whats happening to Lash lol, I laughed my ass off when his skin started peeling off. Of course thats because I cant stand the character and was glad bad things were finally happening to him.

I adore John, so I am glad that he finally got his book, though I never liked Xhex at all so I was "meh" about the pairing. In this book, however, she seems like a whole different person.. though I guess I can see a huge personality change due to her traumatic experience... it just seemed over the top different to me though.

Overall its been a weak book compared to the rest of the series, but I am not done so I will have to reserve final judgment for when I am finished with the book.

message 10: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments Did you like the main character[s:]? I love John and Xhex, I've always liked their storyline and I really enjoyed seeing John grow up and become his own person.
Do you like the plot? I liked the overall plot, although I still get sick of all of the detail about the lessors before the book is over. Although the whole story with Lash was interesting, it was new and different for the series and I'm not sure where she'll go next.
What do you like about the world creation the most? I've always enjoyed the slightly different take on vampires and I do really like the bonded male and how strong the emotions are.
Do you think you would recommend this book to others? Yes, assuming they've read the series so far.
Would you change anything? Like a lot of people mentioned, the Murhder storyline just didn't fit into the overall story at all, it seemed completely pointless to me.
Would you read other books by the author? I think I will, I haven't read anything else yet, but I think I'll try Covet sometime.
Are you going to read the rest of the series? Definitely, I love all of these characters, and I can't wait for Blay and Qhuinn's story and Payne's story.
How long did it take you to get into the book? Not long, I was interested from the very beginning, but I definitely couldn't put it down after Xhex broke out and John found her.

message 11: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Can I just say I ADORE Paxton?!?!

Now I am really wanting Blay with Paxton! lol He is so PERFECT for him! lol

/sigh

message 12: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited May 22, 2010 01:03PM) (new)

Ok here are a few points I would like to discuss.

- Xhex and how she has changed from "Hardass" to "Girly"
I really didn't like this at all, as I feel John fell in love with the "Hardass" that was Xhex, and in this book we didn't see much of that.

- Lash's end was really anticlimactic
I really didn't like how Lash met his end. Oh I liked that John let Xhex do it, but the scene was really not that good. I felt he deserved better considering what he was.

- Blay/Quinn/Saxton
I really can't stand how Quinn is going to be Blay's soul mate (been hearing this is official via wards forums I haven't checked them myself though)
I feel that Blay deserves WAY better then Quinn and that Saxton would be perfect for him.
I get that you can't help who you fall in love with but damn Quinn is a jackass. If they do end up together I really hope Quinn becomes a better person and turns into someone Blay deserves because at present he is nothing but a tool.

- Darius/John
People had been talking about John being Darius reincarnated but while I sorta got that feeling it was never something I really believed. Well in this book we find out that it is indeed true.
I wish she could have done it a little better, though I do like how she wrote what she did share.

- I hated the Murhder storyline. I thought it was a crappy way to fill in pages of the book. The whole paranormal investigator thing was full of crap crap and more crap. I could have done without the entire bit of it in that book.

- I didn't like Payne til this book, and thought it was very cool that she was able to finally leave her prison. Her story was sort of a cliffhanger that I hope to read more of in another book.

- What was the deal with Xhex saying "Pain is in there" (or something like it) Is she clairvoyant now or something? I didn't get that part of the book.

I know I am nitpicking but overall I really LOVED this book. I am in the process of writing a lengthy review on it to be posted over at Literary Escapism.

I would love to know what you guys thought about the things I mentioned.

message 13: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments OK so.... **big sigh**

did I read the same book??? I thought it was good, but I was not as blown away as everyone else seems to have been and that disappoints me.

I did like the whole circle of Darius & Tohr and how they saved Xhex... was kind of obvious who the baby was going to be when she was pregnant and gave birth to a girl I thought...

wasn't sure about the "ghost" story until about half-way through i figured out it had to be Muhrder...

here's a question for you: do you really think Lash is dead????? hmmmmmmmm

I don't know I guess from the amazing flirtation that JM and X had that their final coming together would be mind blowing, but I don't know I just wasn't feeling "it" - I was kind of disappointed they always did it in the dark until almost the end. I had heard that some of the scenes had made JRW blush, but I didn't think they were any more sexy than some others that she has written. I think many of the scenes she wrote for Rhage, Z and Wrath were way hotter...

As for Quinn and Blay think it will be interesting to see how that plays out, I just hope it isn't to quick and easy for them to get together, I mean Q made some big strides in learning who he is, but someone like that wouldn't just change their mind overnight... and good for Blay for finding someone in Saxton, although I thought it was interesting that she didn't really give us anything beyond a couple kiss scenes, wonder if she's testing the waters to see if people can handle a man on man sex scene??? if they can't their book will be real short - LOL

Also I missed seeing the other brothers, I mean we saw like nothing... I know the book was already big and she had lots going on but a little update would have been nice, especially with Rhev & E and how they are dealing with him being the Sympath King... I miss them... **sniff sniff**

Ok so bottom line, I did like it, I just didn't LOVE it. I don't know if my expectations were just to high and that's why I was somewhat disappointed??? **sigh**

Ok so there may be some duplication but in answer to Tricia:

yeah I didn't get why X had to choose between being what she was and being a "wife", I mean yes people change and there would be some "softening" now that she is more connected to someone, but come on...

As for Lash - well I liked that JM finally got that he needed to let X do it, but on the other hand I was irritated that they didn't let Butch do his thing, cause now you know lash is coming back....

and yes I have heard that it will be Blay/Quinn... not sure how I feel about this yet, I did like some of the changes we started seeing in Q, but I would have liked more from Blay and Saxton and their tryst... I agree with DarkHeart that she was obviously testing the waters, but a little more would have been better I felt cheated...

I expected more from the Darius/JM thing too - especially with the whole back story of Darius/Tohr...

yeah the whole Murhder thing was odd - could have been done better/shorter and then she would have had room to give us some of the OTHER brothers who were sadly lacking in this book, I mean HELLO X and Rhev were SO close and he was in what 2 maybe 3 scenes??? and it would have been nice to know how things are going with him and E...

What the F happened to Payne???? it just left that whole thing hanging... what the....

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sstogner1) | 38 comments OMG! My heart broke for Blay when he and Quinn parted! JR Ward has made me really care about Blay. I am glad Saxton has come into his life right now. He needed this. I do hope there will be complete story to bring Quinn and Blay together. And I agree Quinn needs to do a lot of growing before he deserves Blay. I've never read M/M stuff, but I don't see them as any different than the other love stories in this series. Please let Blay have happiness!!!

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Covet (other topics)