The Sword and Laser discussion

Fan-Generated SciFi/Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Baynes | 2 comments I don't think this is off-topic, but I couldn't find a better folder...

Given GRRM's current rate of progress on Dance with Dragons, I'm dubious about him ever finishing the series. That started me thinking about fan-based completion.

Do you know of any current projects by single fans or groups of fans to write stories within universes that the original author has abandoned? Given the collaborative nature of the internet, I could really see open-source, grassroots sci-fi/fantasy development becoming a reality... is it already?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Baynes | 2 comments A follow up question: Is it against copyright laws to write a novel that uses another author's universe? Character names, etc? Are the names, places and ideas copyrighted, or is it just the final work and reproduction of that work that is copyrighted?

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments I think fair use or non-profit is legal, but you might get a takedown notice anyway. GRRM is against fanfic. Naomi Novik has site devoted to it. I just heard a nice interview with her on http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=c... .