Armchair Sailors discussion

Links > Online Naval Adventure: "Choice of Broadsides"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valuta) My husband found this site and recommended it to me (knowing that I am an ardent Patrick O'Brian fan). I checked it out and it appears to be well researched, well written and eerily evokes the spirit of those novels. And it's free.

At the beginning of the game you're a midshipmen commanding three guns in the midst of a pitched naval battle. The game keeps track of your progress in 12 categories (including gunnery, patronage, sailing, intelligence, etc.), depending on the choices you make. Those stats in turn help determine your future choices and chances of success.

I've only completed the first couple of chapters and thought that it might be of interest to the group.

http://www.choiceofgames.com/broadsides/

Let me know what you think.

--Val

Here is the game announcement from the website:

2010 04 01
Play Choice of Broadsides Now!

Choice of Games is pleased to announce the release of Choice of Broadsides! The web version is now live, as is the Android version. The iPhone version is currently under review at Apple and will presumably be available soon.

Choice of Broadsides is a multiple-choice swashbuckling naval adventure, in the spirit of C. S. Forester’s Hornblower or Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin books, with a dash of Jane Austen.

We hope you enjoy playing Choice of Broadsides as much as we enjoyed writing it, and we encourage you to play it, tell your friends, and to recommend it on StumbleUpon, Facebook, Twitter, and other sites.

message 2: by Debra (new)

Debra (debd) | 6 comments Val,
Now I am all conflicted! What great fun. I can see now that every minute I am not busy at work I will be sailing abord the Courageous. Thanks for the heads up!
Deb

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valuta) I'm glad you enjoyed it -- I wasn't sure it was appropriate for this group. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it) the adventure is not too long. -- Val

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra (debd) | 6 comments True. Today was particularly slow so I played it through to the end and got knighted. It was a lot of fun.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Holy cow! This thing's so much fun!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a good thing for the Royal Navy I wasn't around in the 19th century; Hornblower I ain't! This games a lot of fun, Valerie!

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valuta) Ha, ha! So glad you enjoyed it too!