fiction files redux discussion

Authors > Isak Dinesen/Karen Blixen

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
I'm a child of the 80s. I admit it. So when I think of Isak Dinesen, I think of "I had a houuuuse in Ahhhhfreeeekaaaah." And Outback Red shirts. And long suede skirts. And Meryl Streep and Robert Redford and record players and colonialism.

And in looking her up really quickly, I had no idea that she was Karen Blixen and that Out Of Africa is autobiographical! I should probably read the book.

Anyway, I read Sorrow-Acre for a seminar I'm going to this weekend and holy crap.

This woman can write.

Anyone else read her stuff? Thoughts?

message 2: by João (new)

João Camilo (jcamilo) | 259 comments She is one of the best short story writers ever. He is up there with however you can think in the XX century and Immortal Story (I guess it is the english title) is one of the best short stories I have ever writen. Her vision of a ghost sea story with Elise is great, Babette Feast is a great allegory about art, the Gothic Novels, with a twist in Barnabas story is also very good. Her capacity to mix the european high class with the african storytelling is everything.

message 3: by Christopher, Swanny (new)

Christopher Swann (christopherswann) | 189 comments Mod
Dinesen's "The Sailor-Boy's Tale" is in my top five best short stories of all time.