2009-2010 discussion

African Books > Things Fall Apart & Home/Exile

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments So after reading a couple of chapters in Things Fall Apart, i was a little taken back at how certain African villages run things and how they allow many actions like Okonkwo beating his wife ! Now in America that would not be OK. What are somethings you guys find interesting about your book?

message 2: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 12 comments When i first started reading Things fall Apart, by the title i could tell it would be an interesting story. But when i opened it, i almost fell asleep. Although, at the point im at in the book it is very interesting. Everything is literally falling apart for okonkwo. His family, his friends, his self esteem. i really feel this is kind of like karma for okonkwo. i feel he is a very mean and controlling person which will bring him nothing but sorrow. Do you agree?

message 3: by Taliyah (new)

Taliyah C | 13 comments So far Home and Exile is a OK book. I feel only people that think outside the box will get this book because of all the analyzing i have to do just to understand the book. However, reading the book I truly understand that you can't judge a book by its cover because it might come off as being rude and wrong toward the tings you talk about.

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Mcbrayer | 6 comments In things fall apart when the father and other tribal men take the the "step-son" and kill him because some oracle told them to was pretty messed up. If was told by another man that someone i had never met wanted me to kill my son i would have met with said oracle in person, or i would have just not have killed my son and went on with my life. i wouldn't have cared if some people thought i was weak for caring about someone i loved. but thats just me, what would you have done?

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Breanna wrote: "When i first started reading Things fall Apart, by the title i could tell it would be an interesting story. But when i opened it, i almost fell asleep. Although, at the point im at in the book it i..."

ok i can soo agree that at first i was kind of bored of the book, until they got in dept with Oknokwo and why most of his actions were the influence of his father.

message 6: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Jones | 12 comments In Things Fall Apart, Onkonkwo killed his step son, and afterwards he felt bad, but he was angry that he had these feelings. Do you think he was supposed to have these feelings, If so do you think he should feel bad?

message 7: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments After reading about the father,do you think you would be ableto live with the pressure of having to do better than him?

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Brandon wrote: "In Things Fall Apart, Onkonkwo killed his step son, and afterwards he felt bad, but he was angry that he had these feelings. Do you think he was supposed to have these feelings, If so do you think ..."

yes, it's a normal emotion to feel sad, and angry so the emotion he felt was only natural, though the anger part was due to the fact that Okonkwo allows his fathers mistakes to guide his actions. Of course i feel as though he should feel bad, taking part in the death of his step-son even after he was told not to, just so he wouldn't appear weak, its pitiful and Okonkwo should be ashamed.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Donovan wrote: "After reading about the father,do you think you would be ableto live with the pressure of having to do better than him?"

I don't believe i would live my life trying to be better than my parent because they were losers in theirs, i would simply live my life the best way i could with out any insecurities if i was doing the right thing because of an parent.

message 10: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 12 comments Nathan wrote: "In things fall apart when the father and other tribal men take the the "step-son" and kill him because some oracle told them to was pretty messed up. If was told by another man that someone i had n..."

Well if it was me personally, just being a girl i would of course been more sensitive to the fact that my son was being killed. i definitely wouldnt have anything to do with it. i would have gotten my son as far away as possible from these people trying to kill him. Okonknwo, i believe, was trying to prove his strength as always and trying not to appear less of a man to everyone and when his son died, he realized how much his pride was getting in the way of his family and his life. He is starting to see how things fall apart...

message 11: by Ben (new)

Ben Wedgwood | 11 comments In the book, one of Okonkwo's wives, Ekwefi, has had 10 children in her life, but lost 9 of those 10 children while they were still very young, due to sicknesses. Consider being Ekwefi: how would this change the way that you raised your one child? Would it make you a better or worse mom? Don't you think having gone through childbirth this many times and only having 1 out of 10 children survive, would weigh on you a lot as a mother and wife?

message 12: by Ben (new)

Ben Wedgwood | 11 comments Donovan wrote: "After reading about the father,do you think you would be ableto live with the pressure of having to do better than him?

Well I think that the fact that Okonkwo's father was basically such a terrible father is one of the main things that pushes Okonkwo through the day. I believe that he is constantly striving to surpass his father, and be better than he was.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 12 comments Donovan wrote: "After reading about the father,do you think you would be able to live with the pressure of having to do better than him?"

I think that Okonkwo was talked about so much after he died about how terrible he was , that when he died he didnt want that bad title against his name. He is just trying to live a better life for himself and family.

message 14: by Taliyah (new)

Taliyah C | 13 comments Do you think it's possible to write about Africa if you never been there before?

message 15: by Taliyah (new)

Taliyah C | 13 comments Do you think Chinua Achebe is a good author to represent Africa?

message 16: by Stephanie G. (new)

Stephanie G. | 13 comments Breanna wrote: "When i first started reading Things fall Apart, by the title i could tell it would be an interesting story. But when i opened it, i almost fell asleep. Although, at the point im at in the book it i..."

i do agree. he was very mean and karma did come back to get him. i also almost fell asleep also. but the book is very sonfusing to me. the way the treat their wives is ver cruel

message 17: by Stephanie G. (new)

Stephanie G. | 13 comments ^ this was by udeozo and not stephanie

message 18: by Valentine (new)

Valentine | 11 comments Unoka had a horrible death and never had a burial. Do you think he should have been left in a forest to die just because he failed at life?

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 12 comments Breanna wrote: "When i first started reading Things fall Apart, by the title i could tell it would be an interesting story. But when i opened it, i almost fell asleep. Although, at the point im at in the book it i..."

i honestly still the book is boring, mabey its just the parts im reading but the way he treats his wifes are brutal. Its like he has no respect for them. In the book it describes how hes supposed the be like the greatest/powerful person. Beating his wifes when they leave to get their hairdone during peace week was not the best thing.

message 20: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Jones | 12 comments Nathan wrote: "In things fall apart when the father and other tribal men take the the "step-son" and kill him because some oracle told them to was pretty messed up. If was told by another man that someone i had n..."
I think I would have not killed my son as well I would rather take the punishment from the gods than have to deal with the pain of knowing I killed my son for the gods. Isn't this one of the trials of God told in the Bible?

message 21: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Jones | 12 comments Valentine wrote: "Unoka had a horrible death and never had a burial. Do you think he should have been left in a forest to die just because he failed at life?"
I think that they treat the sick wrong and that they should give them a proper burial, but I wouldn't give a random homeless person a proper burial. I guess that's what they thought Unoka to be. Would you give a random person a burial?

message 22: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Jones | 12 comments Ben wrote: "In the book, one of Okonkwo's wives, Ekwefi, has had 10 children in her life, but lost 9 of those 10 children while they were still very young, due to sicknesses. Consider being Ekwefi: how would t..."
This would definately change the way a mother acts. I believe that this would make anyone a better mother. This would also either encourage or frighten them into having another child.

message 23: by Roman (new)

Roman | 6 comments How do you feel the story would have been different if it were in America? Would Okonkwo be in the same situation he is in?

message 24: by Udeozo (new)

Udeozo | 8 comments How do you feel about Ekwefi giving birth 10 times and havinh the infants pass away?

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Taliyah wrote: "Do you think it's possible to write about Africa if you never been there before?"

Ya know what, that's a good question! Honestly i think you could, you would have to do a-lot of research, which is what most authors do anyways.

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Do you agree with the villages decision to exile Okonkwo after he accidentally killed an innocent girl?

message 27: by Udeozo (new)

Udeozo | 8 comments Taliyah wrote: "Do you think it's possible to write about Africa if you never been there before?"

In some way I think you can, but it depands on what kind of story you are trying to tell. Like you can't write about your experiences if you have never been there before. You might be able to write about life in the villages from what a friend or someone else has told you. As Cheryl said you would have to do more research than other authors.

message 28: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Mcbrayer | 6 comments do you think that things in the book would be different if Okonkwo's dad would have been a "Better man?" In that he was more respected in the village. do you think that okonkwo would still feel the need to prove himself to everyone?

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Mcbrayer | 6 comments Udeozo wrote: "How do you feel about Ekwefi giving birth 10 times and havinh the infants pass away?"

i think it has taken a toll on her and has given her a brand new view on life and how important and fragil it really is.

message 30: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Mcbrayer | 6 comments Roman wrote: "How do you feel the story would have been different if it were in America? Would Okonkwo be in the same situation he is in?"

in america we don't think that spirits will destroy our crops. we can't have more than one wife. and it is frowned apon if we beat our wife. i think if okonkwo came here he wouldn't last a week and he would be in jail. so his situation would be a lot worse if he came here in my opinion.

message 31: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Mcbrayer | 6 comments if you had to choose an outlet for okonkwo's rage what would you choose? other than beating his wivies.

message 32: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Mcbrayer | 6 comments do you think that okonkwo deserves a happly ever after? why or why not?

message 33: by Valentine (new)

Valentine | 11 comments "Taliyah wrote: "Do you think it's possible to write about Africa if you never been there before?

I think it depends on the topic like if you are trying to write about everyday life in africa you would need to visit.

message 34: by Roman (new)

Roman | 6 comments Breanna wrote : When i first started reading Things fall Apart, by the title i could tell it would be an interesting story. But when i opened it, i almost fell asleep. Although, at the point im at in the book it is very interesting. Everything is literally falling apart for okonkwo. His family, his friends, his self esteem. i really feel this is kind of like karma for okonkwo. i feel he is a very mean and controlling person which will bring him nothing but sorrow. Do you agree?

Okonkwo is mean because he has to be. In the culture of their village man are supposed to be tough and controlling. He also feels he has alot to prove because of his fathers lazieness. Okonkwo's attitude does make things harder for him but considering his situation, things might be much worse if he wasn't so mean. His hardness has gained him respect in the village and in his household.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Nathan wrote: "do you think that okonkwo deserves a happly ever after? why or why not?"

Though Okonkwo may have not made smart decisions, he's still a human who makes mistakes, and through out of all the troubles in his life, every decision made was out of good thought. So yes i believe he does deserve a happily every after even though he doesn't.

message 36: by Taliyah (new)

Taliyah C | 13 comments Cheryl wrote: "TaLiyah wrote: "Do you think it's possible to write about Africa if you never been there before?":Ya know what, that's a good question! Honestly i think you could, you would have to do a-lot of re..."

Do you think it's possible to write about the true things about Africa like the way of life and how Africans get to school if you haven't experience it?

message 37: by Taliyah (new)

Taliyah C | 13 comments Valentine wrote: ""Taliyah wrote: "Do you think it's possible to write about Africa if you never been there before?: I think it depends on the topic like if you are trying to write about everyday life in africa you ..."

Can you write something about Africa and make it meaningful for someone to read it?

message 38: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 12 comments Roman wrote: "How do you feel the story would have been different if it were in America? Would Okonkwo be in the same situation he is in?"

I feel that the story would be totally different if it was in america because most of their customs would not exist therfore things like wife beating, and son killing would not be allowed therefore okonkwo wouldn't be in the situation he is in. in fact, i believe he would be a nicer person.

message 39: by Donovan (last edited May 18, 2010 06:55AM) (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments Roman wrote: "How do you feel the story would have been different if it were in America? Would Okonkwo be in the same situation he is in?"

It would be totally different.First of all, he would have a job. His father would probably still be alive because the life expectancy is longer in america, and also he would be wealthier. He wouldn't be beating his wives either because that is illegal here. He also wouldn't have more than one wife.

message 40: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments In the book"Things Fall Apart", if you hit or beat your wife during peace week, you can be put on trial. The same rule applies in America. Name some other simularities that our countries have alike.

message 41: by Donovan (last edited May 18, 2010 06:56AM) (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments Nathan wrote: "do you think that okonkwo deserves a happly ever after? why or why not?"

Yes he does. He's been through a lot in this book. I'm not even finished with the book and from what i've read so far, it seems to me that he deserves one.Now that i'm finished, i feel he doesn't. My opinion was different in the beginning because i didn't know he killed an innocent girl. If you take the life of someone then you dont deserve a happy ending

message 42: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments Valentine wrote: "Unoka had a horrible death and never had a burial. Do you think he should have been left in a forest to die just because he failed at life?"

I think everyone deserves a proper burial no matter how much of a bad person they were. That just wasn't right.

message 43: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments Do you think that Okonkwo had a reputation set for him just because of the way his dad was?

message 44: by Donovan (new)

Donovan Noel | 12 comments How would America be different with a week of peace?

message 45: by Jazmyn (new)

Jazmyn M | 8 comments My reaction throughtout the book of Okonkwo was he was really heartless and presented himself to be mean. The thing that struck me most in the story was when he killed his stepson and then got mad at himslef because he didnt want to feel bad about it..how did you react when this happened..?

message 46: by Jazmyn (new)

Jazmyn M | 8 comments Donovan wrote: "Do you think that Okonkwo had a reputation set for him just because of the way his dad was?"

yes. i believe that being in their setting and the time that their set in , it would be nearly impossible for the son not to fall in his fathers footsteps and to be just like him.

message 47: by Jazmyn (new)

Jazmyn M | 8 comments Valentine wrote: "Unoka had a horrible death and never had a burial. Do you think he should have been left in a forest to die just because he failed at life?"

I definetly don't think he desrved to be left and not have had the proper burial.And who is someone else to decide for him that he failed at life.

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments If you could ask Okonkwo one thing about his life, what would it be? And why would you ask it?

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Udeozo wrote: "How do you feel about Ekwefi giving birth 10 times and having the infants pass away?"

When i first read that section or chapter of the book, my heart squeezed, and my eyes became watery. I don't know how it is to give birth or care a child for 9 months but I've heard it's an amazing feeling and blessing,So for this woman to have 10 different pregnancy i would have to say she's one strong woman, but to have all of them die ! WOW that's something ! But the thing that makes it so sad, is that these tragedies happened all the time, and since in the time period they were living in, they had no way of knowing all the fact of child birth and complications it has to offer. Feeling sad is one emotion i felt, but not the emotion to sum up how awful i felt as i read it.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 20 comments Donovan wrote: "How would America be different with a week of peace?"

I don't believe America would be different at all! Do you think that, when we have days such as Earth Day, and such things as, Turn Off All Lights Day, that people actually go through with it or stick it out? NO they don't, because Americans are selfish,greedy,and are monsters! Haha naw not really, but seriously I don't think that the government announcing some random week from the year and calling it a week of peace will change or help this economy or our country!

« previous 1