Stephen King Fans discussion

Movies & TV shows > Tommyknockers & The Langoliers

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) I looked every where and didn't see a place for these two.

Did anyone see these on SyFy yesterday & lastnight. I got to see one and a half hours of Tommyknockers, and most of The Langoliers.

They took a few liberties with Tommyknockers, but over all not to bad of a movie. IMO

The Langoliers, IMO is one of the best made movies from his books. Especially since it was made for tv. It stayed pretty true to the book. Bronson Pinchot was Craig Toomey, that was the best i've ever seen him in anything before or after.

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2868 comments I own Tommyknockers on DVD and think Jimmy Smits and Marg Helgenberger are terrific in it. I really like the little magician storyline in the movie.

The Langoliers is also excellent and I've seen it a few times. The captain is perfectly cast, as is Nick and Toomy, IMO. I didn't like the girl that played Bethany, and I just couldn't buy that guy from Quantum Leap as the writer, but the series, overall, was great.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I didn't see it last night, but I've seen The Tommyknockers before a few times (and actually think I own it), and yeah, they did take some liberties with the story.

I've never cared much for the movie version of the aliens. They are scary, yeah, but only because of their big teeth, not because they could change US into THEM, like in the book.

Other than that though, it's a pretty good adaptation.

I've only seen parts of The Langoliers, so I can't really comment on that one. I should pick it up one of these days. :)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 299 comments I've seen both and liked then quite a lot. Although The Tommyknockers just isn't able to cover all of the plot as well as I'd like. Tons of Gard and Bobbi's relationship are left out really and yes the aliens aren't as stark as the book. I also missed the bit where she takes out her evil sister.

My favorite miniseries were The Stand and The Shining. they didn't cover everything but they did a pretty awesome job overall.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments I've only seen The Langoliers and was really distracted by that when I tried to read the story. The special effects are bad.

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina I have seen The Tommyknockers quite sometime ago when I was young and didn't really understand what was going on.

The Langoliers has always been one of my favorite shows and only recently figured out that it was a King story. Bronson Pinchot was totally creepfest as Mr. Toomey.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) That's what I said Amanda, WTH where is her sister at, shouldn't she be floating in green slime! And at the end when David is returned, it's not with Bobbi, he just shows up at the hospital in bed with his brother.

The effects were of a 1995 quality, so they didn't really bug me. The only thing that came close to bugging me was as Kandice said, the girl that played Bethany. For some reason I can't express I didn't much care for her.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 299 comments Lori wrote: "That's what I said Amanda, WTH where is her sister at, shouldn't she be floating in green slime! And at the end when David is returned, it's not with Bobbi, he just shows up at the hospital in bed ..."

Actually yeah me either and I liked the girl in the book. Maybe she was a bit too strident?

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2868 comments No matter how I phrase this, it will sound bad, so, here goes: The girl that played Bethany was too pale, skinny, straggly, fragile physically, to look like the girl down on her luck, but with inner strength, that I imagined as I read.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 299 comments Kandice wrote: "No matter how I phrase this, it will sound bad, so, here goes: The girl that played Bethany was too pale, skinny, straggly, fragile physically, to look like the girl down on her luck, but with inne..."

exactly!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I just didn't buy Jimmy Smitts as Gard.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 299 comments Mary wrote: "I just didn't buy Jimmy Smitts as Gard."

I can't remember if he bothered me or not. I liked Marg Helgenberger as Bobbi.

message 13: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (QueenofEgypt) | 41 comments I love Langoliers and I thought the movie did a good job. I am sure that the strange constant humming noise I hear around our house sometimes is not air traffic, it is really giant puffballs eating up the past.....

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2868 comments Dana wrote: "I love Langoliers and I thought the movie did a good job. I am sure that the strange constant humming noise I hear around our house sometimes is not air traffic, it is really giant puffballs eatin..."

Maybe the refridgerator? LOL

message 15: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (QueenofEgypt) | 41 comments OMG, I swear sometimes it sounds like the smoke monster from LOST is heading down our street...

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2868 comments Now THAT would be scary!

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina Smoke Monster? Wow I really need to start watching Lost.

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2868 comments I love Lost, but refuse to watch it on t.v. I just wait for the season to come on DVD so I can watch as fast as I want. I hate when they take "breaks" during the season.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 299 comments Kandice wrote: "I love Lost, but refuse to watch it on t.v. I just wait for the season to come on DVD so I can watch as fast as I want. I hate when they take "breaks" during the season."

You and me both. I don't have tv and get all my series from the library or buy them. I'm still catching up on Buffy, Millenium, Queer as Folk and a bunch of others.

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 114 comments I enjoy both movies and own them both on DVD. I haven't read the book version of either yet.

message 21: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (KatrinaRaySaulis) I liked the movie version of Tommyknockers alright, but I was looking forward to seeing the big ditch and the huge ship and instead it was diminished to little cubes sticking out of the ground... Very disappointing.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) Yeah that and her sister. I would have liked to have seen her mean ass sister get put in the tube like she did her dog. I haven't read Tommyknockers in a while, but i remember the dog and her sister in the green goo in the tubes, was the grandfather in there as well? Seems to me he was and at the end it was only the 2 boys in the hospital room. But the movie had pops there too. Which is right? It gets mixed up in my head the older i get.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 299 comments Lori wrote: "Yeah that and her sister. I would have liked to have seen her mean ass sister get put in the tube like she did her dog. I haven't read Tommyknockers in a while, but i remember the dog and her siste..."

I missed seeing her sister get her due too. I think you're right there was another person but I'm not sure if it was the Grandpa though.

message 24: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (KatrinaRaySaulis) The grandpa was in there in the book along with the mean sister and the dog... I believe that was it...

message 25: by Lori (last edited Jul 20, 2010 06:03AM) (new)

Lori (Barfield) Thanks guys, i believe we are right. The movie had him in the hospital, but the book had him in the tube. Because when Gard got in the shed, pops told him to save his grandson.

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 299 comments Lori wrote: "Thanks guys, i believe we are right. The movie had him in the hospital, but the book had him in the tube. Because when Gard got in the shed, pops told him to save his grandson."

yep I remember that now!

message 27: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 6 comments I watched The Langoliers for the first time a few years ago, and since then, I've bought it, and watched it several times. I loved both the story and the movie.
How was The Tommyknockers? I got about 200 pages into the book, and had to put it down for a class assignment that I really needed to concentrate on. I haven't seen the movie yet...:(

message 28: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments Hiddenheart wrote: "I watched The Langoliers for the first time a few years ago, and since then, I've bought it, and watched it several times. I loved both the story and the movie.
How was The Tommyknockers? I got ..."

I have read and heard a lot of people criticize this book but I thought it was really good. The movie, not so much.

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 114 comments Hiddenheart wrote: "I watched The Langoliers for the first time a few years ago, and since then, I've bought it, and watched it several times. I loved both the story and the movie.
How was The Tommyknockers? I got ..."

I enjoyed both The Langoliers and The Tommyknockers movies.

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2868 comments I am in the minority that loves the book and series of The Tommyknockers. The ending of each left something to be desired, but that's King's thing. Bad endings. Otherwise, I found both phenomenal.

I like The Langoliers novella, and I enjoyed the mini-series, especially the cast, but again, King's supernatural stuff comes off cheezy on-screen, even when they get it right.

message 31: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Tocyloski | 358 comments Kandice wrote: King's supernatural stuff comes off cheezy on-screen. The reviews that I have read seem to agree with this assessment for the Tommyknockers, Langoliers and the Mist.

message 32: by Greg (new)

Greg (PopZeus) | 104 comments I really loved Tommyknockers when I first read as a teenager but it's one of those that didn't stand up well when reread years later. Langoliers I only read for the first time last year and thought was fantastic.

As for the screen versions, they're just not for me. Really wanted Langoliers to be good, but was disappointed and found it embarrassing in places.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Tommyknockers (other topics)