Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > The Scent of Shadows - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Apr 26, 2010 06:30AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of The Scent of Shadows: The First Sign of the Zodiac by Vicki Pettersson The Scent of Shadows The First Sign of the Zodiac by Vicki Pettersson to begin in May.

**Please be aware**
This thread WILL contain spoilers. If you would like to make a comment or ask a question without reading spoilers you can visit the May BOM Roll Call Thread and post there instead.

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm waiting for this to be delivered to my kindle and then I will start it. I don't remember the date it gave, but I think it was mid May. Does anyone remember specifically when?

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments What I really liked about this series was it was so very different from what was out there. Joanna's story was hard to read because there was so many bad things that happened to her. I loved that the superheros were matriarchal in line and had an equal on the other side. I also love how their adventures were chronicled in comic books that most people don't think are real.

message 4: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Darcy - I've never read any of these books. What are they about?

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "Darcy - I've never read any of these books. What are they about?"

The series is very UF and pretty dark and gritty. It is basically a fight with good and evil. The "superheros" revolve around signs of the zodiac. Each hero has a specific weapon that they use to kill the others. While they are not in superhero form they have mundane lives that they live while tracking the other side. The main character is Joanna Archer who has had a tough life.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm excited to start it. This has been one of those books I keep seeing in BN, and I debate with myself, do I want it, do I not want it. And I've always put it down.

Now I am determined to pick it up!

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Here are some questions for those who are done, or currently reading:

Name your favorite thing overall about the book. Your least favorite?

Favorite character? Least favorite?

Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how?

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) | 159 comments The book was for sure different from all others out there. She really has an original idea. Overall I liked the book but I'm not sure if I will read the 2nd book. I thought that the story was really out there and some of it was just too unbeleivable. Then again it had some really great parts. When she watches her sister murdered, unable to save her, then is transformed into her sister so she has to look at her sister's face everyday is really depressing. I cried when she returns to her sisters apartment after the attack. All this has to be really hard. Joanna is awesome and kicks ass I really liked her and was really sad that her and Ben aren't able to be together. I might have to read the next book to see if she gets to be with Ben or Hunter? I think either one would be good. Both might be great;)

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just got my copy on the kindle today. So I should be starting this one soon :)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Just received my copy on the kindle so will be starting soon too

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Danielle wrote: "I might have to read the next book to see if she gets to be with Ben or Hunter? I think either one would be good..."

If you really liked the first one, then you should continue reading. I appreciate that there is no real "happily ever after" in these books. Also, the characters of Ben and Hunter really grow and there are PLENTY of curveballs thrown in to keep you on the edge of your seat!

message 12: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥ Name your favorite thing overall about the book. Your least favorite? I love Ben!!!

Favorite character? Least favorite? Cher or maybe Jo's step-dad

Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how? Jo, my mom and I have the same birthdays as well. We are Sag's, I laughed when I read that.

message 13: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥ I really liked the first book, but I just finished book 3, I think I am done with this series for a while.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm starting this one tonight! Hope it's good.

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Wow I'm bored with this one. I'm guessing at the pages, but maybe I'm around 100. Yeah, not really feeling this one at the moment. I think I'm going to put it down and come back to it later.

message 16: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Jess wrote: "Wow I'm bored with this one. I'm guessing at the pages, but maybe I'm around 100. Yeah, not really feeling this one at the moment. I think I'm going to put it down and come back to it later."

It does move slow as there is a lot of world/rule building.

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) | 159 comments Jess wrote: "Wow I'm bored with this one. I'm guessing at the pages, but maybe I'm around 100. Yeah, not really feeling this one at the moment. I think I'm going to put it down and come back to it later."

Darcy's right, there is a lot of building up to the story but it gets better as you go. For this reason I think that the 2nd book is going to be better since the story is already set up.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Just to say, this is currently a free title over at the Sony ebook store. I've actually owned the paperback for a while, but have yet to read it.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I picked this one up this morning, but I just don't like it. I think I'm going to give up on it. I've read other short stories by Pettersson, and I haven't liked them either. I had hoped this would be different... Maybe next month, ladies.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I gave this one up. If after 100 or so pages I'm still bored, I see no reason to continue. I also fell asleep during one sitting. Oops.

message 21: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I tried reading this a year or so ago, and agree with Sarah & Jess. It was so boring I couldn't see wasting any more time on it. Read maybe almost 100 pages and put it on PBS. Too many good books waiting for me to waste time on it.

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Melodie wrote: "I tried reading this a year or so ago, and agree with Sarah & Jess. It was so boring I couldn't see wasting any more time on it. Read maybe almost 100 pages and put it on PBS. Too many good book..."

Exactly! I don't want to sit reading a boring book, and hoping it gets better. I want to read a really good book and hope for reading it's sequel lol.

message 23: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Not every book is for every person, so that is ok. At least you gave it a try.

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I was looking through my friends ratings of this one after I decided to give it up and it was pretty much split. There were a few who gave it up, and most who finished it liked it.

I thought that was interesting how people with similar interests can still disagree on a book lol. That's why I at least try a book, because even though it might be someone who has 98% matching ratings with me.. that could be the one book that's different.

message 25: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Jess wrote: "I thought that was interesting how people with similar interests can still disagree on a book lol. That's why I at least try a book, because even though it might be someone who has 98% matching ratings with me.. that could be the one book that's different. "

Very true!!

message 26: by ♥Lynn ♥ (new)

♥Lynn ♥ I liked the first one, but I stopped with the book three because it was not getting any better.

message 27: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB | 0 comments I enjoyed book one the best. Book two was okay for me. From there, it got more scatter brained and I lost enjoyment for the series.

I do like the love triangle that appears in the series :)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I really enjoyed this one...I think it is a bit darker then most of the books in this genre (at least that I have read so far...) and will be starting the second one soon.