Picture Books discussion

Read Alouds

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Jackie | 10 comments Mod
What read aloud books have you found that are great for 2nd grade?

I loved reading "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" last year. The kids loved it!

message 2: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 20 comments I read The Enormous Crocodile and changed my voice for each new character introduced. It took a few reads. The students loved it! This is not a picture book though and although the pictures were small they loved seeing them.

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Jackie | 10 comments Mod
Janine, I'll definitely look into this one. Obviously, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is not a picture book either.

I'm planning to read "Gooney Bird Greene" to my class as well. It has some clever parts where a girl's fantastic stories end up being completely true--just misconstrued on the first listen.

message 4: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 20 comments Jackie, I read a few reviews on Gooney Bird Greene and it seems like a great book. I am going to have to check it out literally.

message 5: by Simone (new)

Simone Colwill | 2 comments I read my book "What Does Super Jonny Do When Mom Gets Sick?" to a bunch of kids aged between 4-10 years. I got a great response! (I wrote this book to help families like mine when a parent gets sick). "Super Jonny" aims to teach kids about hospitals, and empower them to help. There is a list of questions at the rear to help teachers use the book in the classroom - so they can support a child with a sick relative.

I found the kids really enjoyed the pictures and the fact that I had tried to inject some humour into a difficult topic. If you want to learn more, please look at my website:
http://www.sickmom.org