Literature in Heavy Metal discussion

Others

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Billy (last edited Apr 25, 2010 09:17AM) (new)

Billy (i3igbizzle) "Blood and Thunder", "I Am Ahab", and much of 'Leviathan' by Mastodon Moby-Dick
"Five Magics" Master of the Five Magics and "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" (The Punisher comics) by Megadeth
"Bat Country" by Avenged Sevenfold Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
"Dante's Inferno", "Dracula", "Frankenstein", "Jekyl & Hyde", and "The Phantom of the Opera Ghost" by Iced Earth (Self Explanatory)
"Ruled by Secrecy" Rule by Secrecy: The Hidden History that Connects the Trilateral Commission, the Freemasons & the Great Pyramids and "The Small Pring" (The Story of Faust) by Muse
"Never Gonna Stop (The Red Red Kroovy)" by Rob Zombie A Clockwork Orange

message 2: by Billy (new)

Billy (i3igbizzle) What else?

Pokątnik Złowieszczek | 1 comments Amorphis often uses inspirations from The Kalevala.

Sepultura - their album "Dante XXI" is, easy to guess, inspired by The Divine Comedy.

The album "When Lust Evokes The Curse" by Autumn - The Lady of Shalott

message 4: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Tavoulari There are some awesome bands that have used references from Michael Moorcock's Multiverse and Elric of Menlibone;
Diamond Head-Am I Evil? (all the album is inspired by Elric and the illustration of the albun alike)
Blue Oyster Cult,from their album Cultosaurus Erectus (1980),the 1st song,Black Blade.
Tygers of Pan Tang name originated from Michael Moorcock's Elric saga, where Pan Tang is described as a realm of Chaos-worshipping Mabden sorcerers.
In their debut album Wild Cat (1980),the 6th track "Fireclown" it's also a Moorcock's character from Elric's saga.

The band Hawkwind, who have had a long association with Moorcock, released an entire album about the story of Elric and Stormbringer, The Chronicle of the Black Sword. They have also released both a single and double live album expanding upon this work, Live Chronicles. The double live album package includes an Elric short story. The album itself contains various narrations and poems read by Moorcock.
Magnum has a song named Stormbringer, about Elric and his sword, on the reissue of their Kingdom of Madness album.
The Italian metal band Domine has a number of songs based on the Elric saga and referencing Stormbringer and Mourneblade. Additionally, Elric and Stormbringer are featured on the cover art for all four albums. Michael Moorcock himself is specifically thanked and noted as an influence in the liner notes for each of their albums.
The Chronicles of the Black Sword
Last of the Dragonlords (Lord Elric’s Imperial March)
Dragonlord (The Grand Master of the Mightiest Beasts)
Horn of Fate
The Bearer of the Black Sword
For Evermore
Dawn of a New Age (A Celtic Requiem)
The Song of the Swords

The song Bane of the Black Sword by American metal band Apollo Ra on their Ra Pariah album deals with the adventures of Elric and Stormbringer.
The Spanish metal band Dark Moor features an Elric and Stormbringer related song titled The Fall of Melnibone as a bonus track on the Japanese edition of their album Hall of the Olden Dreams.
The song Sword's Lament by American metal band Cauldron Born references both Stormbringer and Mournblade, along with a host of other fantasy swords.
Finnish band Turmion Kätilöt released a song Stormbringer on their EP Niuva 20.
Italian epic metal band Assedium has the Elric and Stormbringer based song "The Messenger of Chaos" on their debut album Rise of the Warlords.
Dark Star have their 'Lady Of Mars' track (1980)from the 'Metal For Muthas Volume 2' album released as a single on Steel Strike Records,also influenced by mm's Elric's saga

message 5: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Tavoulari Cloven Hoof in their 3rd album A sultan's ransom (1989), use inspiration from well known books,myths and heroes like 1001 nights,Highlander,Jekyll and Hyde,Silver Surfer,which are also, the names of the songs.

message 6: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Tavoulari Billy wrote: ""Blood and Thunder", "I Am Ahab", and much of 'Leviathan' by Mastodon Moby-Dick
"Five Magics" Master of the Five Magics and "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" (The Punis..."

From Iced Earth albums,one of my favs is The Dark Saga,inspired by Todd McFarlane's Spawn and amazing illustration !!!
Also great artwork for the Days of Purgatory album,inspired by Brian Pulido's and Steven Hughes's Lady Death.

message 7: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Simon (joshuapsimon) | 1 comments Iced Earth is awesome.

Don't forget The Sword. First two albums have lyrics inspired heavily by Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (i.e. Mother, Maiden, Crone and Take the Black as examples)

Their third album is more science fiction influenced.

message 8: by Caio (new)

Caio Cesar | 1 comments As a new Iced Earth fan, I just got the 2 recently albums: "Dystopia" and "plagues of babillon".
But talking about litterature, it´s maybe interesting to look back to the 04's album "the glorious burden" and see songs like "Waterloo",
"Attila" and many more.
I live in Belgium and it's cool to see how rich is our metal songs, in thermes of litterature and historical facts.
By the way, the "Dystopia" and the "plagues of babillon" albums are amazing. Littérature always predent in Schaffer's songs.