Traditional Regency Romance Aficionados discussion

Zebra Regency > Zebra Regency Romance

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beeface (new)

Beeface | 16 comments Almost finished reading Marilyn Clay's Bewitching Lord Winterton and I'm really enjoying it.

With a known-plot and likable characters, I know how this book will end, because it's a Romance, but how will the author get us there?

It's a wonderful journey.

message 2: by Beeface (new)

Beeface | 16 comments Finished A Sparkling Affair by Mary Chase Comastock.

Cute, fun story.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Beverley (jobeverley) | 11 comments Hi, I've just joined this group. I had three regencies published by Zebra, An Arranged Marriage, An Unwilling Bride, and Christmas Angel. I have to say they were really historicals, before the Regency Historical existed. Meaning, of course, sexy, and perhaps slightly more gritty plots, though of course Traditional Regencies did sometimes have gritty plots.

Would you agree with that? I'm thinking of books like A Secret Pearl by Mary Balogh, and the one about a blind hero by.... Marjorie Ware? Gosh, the memory's failing, though I can see the cover. Those were both Signet.

It was great of Zebra to take a risk on the above books.

Cheers,

Jo

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Rasley | 5 comments Hi, Jo. I remember there were several long Regencies by Anthea Malcolm, really deep in the period. One was about Parliament. And then of course the great Judy Cuevas ones. Scarlet Redemption, was that one? I loved that book, and Black Silk.

Zebra let Regency writers have more than 75K words, so I think that was kind of a bridge to the Regency Historical.
Didn't Penelope Williamson have a couple Zebras?

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Beverley (jobeverley) | 11 comments I don't remember Penelope there, but yes, Anthea and Judy. I think you're right that Zebra paved the way to the Regency Historical.

These days it's odd to think that back then the publishers thought the Regency period unsuitable for a historical romance!

Jo

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 76 comments Mod
Jo wrote: "I don't remember Penelope there, but yes, Anthea and Judy. I think you're right that Zebra paved the way to the Regency Historical.

These days it's odd to think that back then the publishers thoug..."

Why did they think that if I may ask? Im curious

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Beverley (jobeverley) | 11 comments It was just one of these "truths."

Regencies were comedies of manners, light stuff about flirtation at Almack's, and enacted within the strict confines of society. (We know that wasn't even true of the Regencies of the time)

Historicals had dramatic plots and sex, and rarely took place within the confines of society. If they were set in the early 19th century, they were more likely about highwaymen and pirates.

Even though quite a few of us were writing longer, meatier, sexier regencies, it was Amanda Quick (Jayne Anne Krentz) who really broke through. The success of her first book -- was it Scandal? -- showed that the truth was... not.

Cheers,

Jo

message 8: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Apr 10, 2013 04:09AM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 76 comments Mod
Jo wrote: "It was just one of these "truths."

Regencies were comedies of manners, light stuff about flirtation at Almack's, and enacted within the strict confines of society. (We know that wasn't even true ..."

Thanks for clarifying it from an insiders point of view. Just find it interesting how the historical romance genre has changed with time. When I first started out reading regencies and historical romances I didnt discern the differences at all.

PS. Reading and enjoying Emily and the Dark Angel.Its really good :)

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo Beverley (jobeverley) | 11 comments Glad you're enjoying Emily, Kagama,

Jo

message 10: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) | 44 comments Jo and Alicia--love your books! The Zebra regencies were awesome--I would go to the bookstore and pick up any that I hadn't bought yet. I loved looking for that Z on the spine. :)

Traditional Regency Romance Aficionados

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Emily and the Dark Angel (other topics)