Every one's Choice discussion

Books > May - Moloka'i

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (last edited Apr 24, 2010 05:51PM) (new)

Tracy | 71 comments Since it appears that Moloka'i by Alan Brennert will be the May winner.

I thought I would start this thread to say Moloka'i appears to have been originally published in 2003, so check out the used book stores, libraries, pawn shops, or wherever you get your books for bargain prices and start looking for Moloka'i! You have 1 week to find the book.

Donna - For those who have already read Moloka'i, what will their pleasure be for May?

message 2: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
I would say we read the second book Honolulu

What do you think?

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments Sounds like a winner to me!

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments How many are ready to read Moloka'i or Honolulu? I have my book and am ready to dig in! I don't know why, but this book has me excited, I just hope that the read stays exciting throughout!

message 5: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I read it and I loved it too. This is one of those Judge-a-book-by-it's-cover kinda thing. I will dig into Honlulu mid to end May. My TBR is just too high but the next 2 are YA's so that should be short and then I have 2 biggies and then I will get to one more YA and then Honolulu!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I have read them both, so I am ready to discuss either one whenever anyone is ready. BTW - I loved them both!

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph I ordered my copy of Moloka'i from Amazon and recieved it yesterday so I'm ready, just have to finish a couple other books first.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments I would like to keep a good pace and not rush to finish the book, so... since Moloka'i is 400 pages, I think I can knock out 100 pages each week. That is my goal. I will be at 100 pages by May 7th!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Great, I will look forward to discussing the first 100 pages with you on the 7th, if you would like.

message 10: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) I just got Honolulu from the library yesterday. I'm on the list for Moloka'i, but it has a long wait! I am excited to start reading this coming week.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments Wow! I am on Chapter 4, about 50 pages in. This is a really good book so far! It is hard to put down and I really care about the characters. I have some issues with some of the grammatical structure, but other than that - I'm loving it!

message 12: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

They ave a movie out called Moloka'i but it focuses more on Father Damian. I haven't seen it yet but I just thought I would share it.

message 13: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Tracy wrote: "Wow! I am on Chapter 4, about 50 pages in. This is a really good book so far! It is hard to put down and I really care about the characters. I have some issues with some of the grammatical structur..."

Isn't it great when you get a book like that?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I saw that,too, Donna. It is actually based on another book, Molokai: The Story of Father Damien by Hilde Eynikel, which was written originally in french.

message 15: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

OH see I didn't know that was a book too! Everythig was once a book! LOL

THX

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) It seems like it, huh, Donna! I only know cuz I saw the movie listed on Netflix, so I googled it to see whether it was based on this book.

message 17: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I didn't go as far as you. I saw it on Netflix and ended it there!

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments was it a good movie at least?

message 19: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

LOL I have no idea! I just saw it in passing.

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments well, I'll throw it in my queue and find out :)

message 21: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

It is in "Instant Quene" now. I just got Wii and you can watch Netflix from there now!!!

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments Yup. I got my Wii netflix disc about 3 weeks ago and I have been LOVING IT! I have seen the first 3 seasons of Bones using my WII.

I will wait until after I finish reading Moloka'i before watching the Father Damien story, although I am wondering if I should read the father Damien book first too?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I have the same thing for our PS3. It is so cool. I love being able to watch things instantly, and now my husband doesn't lose the discs anymore! I haven't seen the movie yet, either, but hope to later this week.

message 24: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments Okay, week 1 over - I met my goal and then some. I made it to page 150'ish. I really like this book. I care what happens to the characters and I find that the author has written it in such a manner that you want to keep reading. There is no real "downtime" in the book, so far.

I wish the book had some sort of terms dictionary or something. I like the way the author introduces each Hawaiian term, but then I forget what it means by the time I see the word again.

***** Possible spoiler alerts*****
So, I though that the author really underutilized the brothers in the book. What was the point of having brothers if you don't utilize them? They just sort of blend into the background, which I didn't like.

message 25: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments So, how is everyone else doing with their May reading? Has anyone else at least started Moloka'i or Honolulu?

message 26: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I am going to "hopefully" start Honolulu over the weekend. I have finals and papers and stuff.

message 27: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) I started Honolulu last night - enjoying it so far!

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments I wanna see you make it to page 150 by next Sunday!

I hit page 200 in Moloka'i today, I want to make it to 250 by Saturday.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) ********Possible Spoilers******

Tracy, I always thought that the brothers were there to show how expendable she was. Plus I think at least one of her brothers features later in the story.

message 30: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) I finished Honolulu over the weekend - just now have time to come over here! I really enjoyed the book, though I got a little bored/distracted in the third fourth of the book (if that makes sense, haha). I enjoyed the first half and the last quarter, but found myself speeding through that latter part of the middle. Glad I read it, and I want to get my hands on Moloka'i soon (it has a really long wait at the library though).

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Which part was it that you thought was slow?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I'm curious to know which part was slow for you, Molly!

message 33: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) It was the Joe Kahahawai storyline that I wasn't completely drawn into. I see its importance in the story, but it just didn't grab me and I found myself speeding through those sections.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Ya - those weren't the most interesting parts, but I felt so bad for him and for Jin, since she really wanted to help him.

So - who was your favorite character in the book?

message 35: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I am hoping to start it next week (Monday?) I am in my cousin's wedding on Friday and I also have babysitter issues so I will be conducting INterviews and then I am sure I will be in need of a drink so this weekedn will not work out LOL

message 36: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments I am hopting to finish the book by this weekend! I am on page 270'ish right now. I am looking forward to moving on to my next book. I really like this book, but it kind of feels like it should have ended already. It just seems to drag on, one issue after another.

message 37: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 86 comments I recieved this book finally but am all backed up in buddy reads so when I get to iy I'll get on this tread and join you all.

message 38: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 71 comments I am on page 360 of 389. I will finis h this book tonight!

***SPoilers Alert***
I like the idea that Rachel gets off the island and what her new life is like; however, I feel that a lot of the details the author gives are mundane and just keep the story dragging on.
Also, I just could not buy into the love between Kenji and Rachel. It felt more like a marriage of convenience than love. With as much time as the author spent on Rachels love interests before Kenji, it just felt like you turned the page and they were married. Nope, just couldn't feel it. I also wish more details were given regarding sex between the lepars and the children born on Moloka'i. Since birth control was not a part of everyday life, did married couples just not have sex to avoid the possibility of pregnancy? Just too many questions left for me on this issue.

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Now I wish I'd read this one with the group. I plan on buying it soon.