Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Zeeb's 2010 Books (March 2010 - March 2011)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Polly (last edited Apr 23, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

Polly | 14 comments 1. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffengger - 536 Pages - (4 1/2 Stars) - March

A unique love story about a man who involuntarily travels through time, the unconventional love story that follows. Unique read. I enjoyed it very much. Worth the read

message 2: by Polly (last edited Apr 23, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

Polly | 14 comments 2. The Color of Water A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride - The Color of Water - A Black Man's Tribute to his White Mother - James McBride (313 Pages)- Memoir - (4 Stars) - March

Interesting memoir set in Brooklyn, from the 1940's to the present dealing with a boy and mother's story. Deals with themes of race, religion, identity and love. I have a strong interest in multiethnic family stories as well as memoirs, so this was an interesting and quick read for me.

message 3: by Polly (last edited Apr 23, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

Polly | 14 comments 3. The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - (374 Pages) - YA Fiction - (5 Stars) - April

Reading the synopsis alone, I would have passed over this book purely since it appeared to be too violent for my taste, but it was the consistent high reviews that made me search for it anyway. It was nothing like I imagined, and I found myself up almost all night reading it forcing myself to go to sleep so I could funciton the next day. Quick read, leaving me on the edge of my seat - great characters and unexpected twists and turns throughout.

message 4: by Polly (last edited Apr 23, 2010 09:18PM) (new)

Polly | 14 comments 4. Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins - Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins - (391 Pages) - YA Fiction (4 Stars) - April

Well when you set the bar so high for the first in the trilogy (Hunger Games) it is hard to exceed it. I still found this book an excellent read, although reading it immediately after the first in the sequel I found it irritating to have so many redundant explanations and summaries of book one plot for the person who has not read the previous novel. So it took about halway for the book to really pick up for me. I still enjoyed it and the end left me surprised.

message 5: by Polly (last edited Apr 23, 2010 09:18PM) (new)

Polly | 14 comments 5. Somebody Else's Daughter by Elizabeth Brundage - Somebody Else's Daughter - Elizabeth Brundage - (352 Pages) - Fiction (3 Stars) - April

I picked it up since I have a personal interest in adoption stories. It was okay, but the writing style moved a little slow to me and was not my taste. Story did deal with adoption as a theme and how it affected and intertwined several people involved in different times in their lives.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments I'm really glad to see you write this, as I've been avoiding the book because I don't like too much violence -- but the rave reviews have kept it on my radar screen. I think I will eventually give in and read it.

message 7: by Polly (new)

Polly | 14 comments Chris wrote: "I'm really glad to see you write this, as I've been avoiding the book because I don't like too much violence -- but the rave reviews have kept it on my radar screen. I think I will eventually give ..."

Zeeb wrote: "5.Somebody Else's Daughter by Elizabeth Brundage - Somebody Else's Daughter - Elizabeth Brundage - (352 Pages) - Fiction (3 Stars) - April

I picked it up since I have a personal interest in adopti..."

Chris, I think you are responding to "The Hunger Games" and yes, I would say that the violence was my main concern also - especially since it was involving children. But the book does not focus on the death, or linger on it graphically (but there is death), rather the focus is the characters, an underlying political commentary when goverment is in control and the plot of the story. The book was much more heroic in tone and with charcters often rising to a high level of character in dire circumstances that they had no control that made it appealing to me. Check it out.

message 8: by Polly (new)

Polly | 14 comments 6. Between Friends by Kristy Kiernan '- Between Friends - Kristy Kiernan - (322 Pages) - Women's Fiction (3 1/2 Stars)

The line between friendship and family blurs and merges as tragedy occurs. Deals with moral issues about life and children and more. Quick enjoyable read, but far from a favorite.

message 9: by Polly (last edited Apr 26, 2010 12:11AM) (new)

Polly | 14 comments 7. The Kind Diet A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet by Alicia Silverstone - The Kind Diet - Alicia Silverstone - (308 Paegs) - Cookbook

I was hesitant to add a cookbook to the list, but it was at least half "book" and the other half recipes, so I decided it counted. I found it a refreshing read about the vegan & vegetarian diet, the reasons, the benefits, and the positive consequences from individual to planetary - and don't forget the animals - in a thoughtful tasteful commentary, as well as often humorous and playful. Recipes are straightforward, usually quick, with easy to find ingredients. I have been vegetarian for 20 years and am a collector of cookbooks in this area, and it still contained some new information for me.

message 10: by Polly (new)

Polly | 14 comments 8. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick - The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick (533 Pages) - Fiction

This was a unique read. An award winning book - at least half graphics full page drawings by the author and the rest story. Geared to a young audience, although I enjoyed the creativity of the book style. It would be a great story to read with older children since it has so many illustrations.

message 11: by Polly (new)

Polly | 14 comments 9. The Last Child by John Hart - The Last Child - John Hart (419 Pages) Fiction ****

This is a story about the determination of a 13 year old boy, and his search for his missing twin sister. About family, detective work, and finding the truth.
Once I was involved in the story, there were so many twists and turn, I could not put the book down. I was guessing all along, and in the end the ending surprised me.

message 12: by Polly (last edited Sep 07, 2010 07:25AM) (new)

Polly | 14 comments 10. Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult - Handle With Care (477) Jodi Picoult Fiction ****
Great Story. I forgot how much I enjoyed Jodi Picoult. Family bonds, fragile love, and what one will do for family. Great story and fast read. I love the little details and metaphors and depth of characters.

message 13: by Polly (last edited Sep 07, 2010 07:29AM) (new)

Polly | 14 comments 11. Another Mother Co-Parenting with the Foster Care System by Sarah Gerstenzang Another Mother (194) -Sarah Gerstenzang - A Social Worker's first person account of becoming a foster mother. Also deals with issue of transracial placement. A lot of this was very personal to me, so I could relate so well. Great read on that account.