Chick Lit discussion

Twilight Book One

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terrea (new)

Terrea (terreawithat) Hello everyone! I'm new to the group and would like to start a book.

Has anyone NOT read the first book yet of the Twilight series? I would love to start it with a group!

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 16 comments Sorry, just read it at the beginning of May because my 13-year-old daughter asked me to the night we met Stephenie Meyer. By the way, Stephenie Meyer is a fantastic speaker as well as author.

message 3: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Matthews | 15 comments I haven't read it...or heard about it. Am I missing out? I will look it up and see what it is about. I wouldn't mind reading it something new.

message 4: by Terrea (new)

Terrea (terreawithat) I started it last night... it's pretty good so far, still setting up all the characters.

I got tired of not understanding all the jokes on Facebook and picked it up, lol. If you can't beat them join them! =)

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 7 comments I really liked the first one, forced myself through the second and didn't read the third. I hope you enjoy them more than I did.

I think the reason I didn't finish is because she takes a page to write what could have been written in a paragraph.

message 6: by Terrea (new)

Terrea (terreawithat) Haha, Amanda. That's exactly why I never finish series books. (Narnia, Harry Potter, Hitch-hiker's... I could go on...)

I did the same thing with the Harry Potter books. By time I got to the 4th (Goblet of Fire) I couldn't take the paraphrasing anymore, lol!

I'm actually a lot more into Twilight than I thought I would be! We'll see where the next two take me!

message 7: by Kerrilynn (new)

Kerrilynn Same with me. I'm about 2/3 the way through the second one. It really is a great read.

Jennifer Szalewicz  (jennifers123) | 3 comments I am just starting book one. Hope I enjoy it too. From reading the back it does not appear to be a book I would choose but so many people reccomended it to me.

message 9: by Terrea (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:14AM) (new)

Terrea (terreawithat) I just recently finished reading the third one and, I gotta say, I loved them all.

The first one is the best, but I am hooked and ready for the fourth, Breaking Dawn, this August!

Stephenie Meyer has another book out called The Host that I just started this week. It's a little creepy for my normal taste, but still pretty interesting!

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (bookaholicemily) | 5 comments I just started reading Twiligfht but havent quite got into it yet cos I really need to concerntrate on it and have no distractions to be able to read it.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela I finished all four within the last couple of months and loved the series!

message 12: by Collette (new)

Collette (vwbernie) | 16 comments I've read one and two and really enjoyed them both. I liked two better than one so far though.

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) | 15 comments I just read the first, despite a LOT of teasing from my family, and I liked it but I wasn't as wowed as I expected... I got really annoyed by Bella and by the end I just wanted to smack her. I am going to read the 2nd one at some point, though, because it did suck me in enough that I finished it over just a couple days.

message 14: by Barb (new)

Barb (dewbie) | 1 comments I've heard alot about the Stephenie Meyer vampire books and have always been tempted to read them but they didn't grab my attention. I was at Costco yesterday and all four books were there. The curiousity got the best of me so I started to glance through the first book and before I knew it the first two books were in my cart. We had a power outage yesterday so it was a perfect time for me to sit back and read. Granted, I'm only 1/4 of the way through but can't wait to get back to reading.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nkd064) | 9 comments Okay I just finished the entire series...I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the ending.

message 16: by Leah (new)

Leah (ljs8888) | 4 comments I read them and absolutely loved them! The first one I though was the best. I don't normally read vampire type books, but I am so glad I was talked into it.

message 17: by Krista (last edited Jul 08, 2009 05:51AM) (new)

Krista (kkayfuller) To some of the other reviewers I would say it helps to realize this book is marketed as young adult which translates into teens. Girls in my daughters FIFTH grade class were enraptured with this book. She was not happy when I didn't allow her to read it. I was very glad when the teacher suggested to the parents that it may be inappropriate for their age group.

So last night a little after midnight, I finished Twilight (which happens to be my book club's current selection) while kids and husband lay in bed fast asleep. I took the dog out one last time for the night and was greeted by a very quiet, dark neighborhood and a FULL moon. Now tell me how a grown woman was spooked by that?!

I was resistent to Twilight, but have to admit I enjoyed it. I thought the author did a good job of building up the story as eased the reader, along with Bella, into the world of the vampires. The last few chapters were riveting. I'm pretty sure I won't read the sequels because I've heard they get progressively worse.

message 18: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 4 comments Oh, Krista - the novels don't get worse, in fact the writing improves - its the plot lines that piss readers off. If you like a good yarn, and a mostly happy ending, finish the series. As Nicole mentioned, the finale in the fourth book is enough to keep you thinking about the series weeks after finishing it.

message 19: by Krista (new)

Krista (kkayfuller) IUHoosier wrote: "Oh, Krista - the novels don't get worse, in fact the writing improves - its the plot lines that piss readers off. If you like a good yarn, and a mostly happy ending, finish the series. As Nicole ..."

Thanks for letting me know. I'll take your advice.

message 20: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_nl) | 3 comments I agree with IUHoosier I found that you we taken back a bit in the second one since the main charcters that you have invested in some are not a big in the second one but keep with the serises it's worth it in the end.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookluvr_13) | 3 comments All four of the books are different, but you have to read all of them to get the full effect!! If you're worried about investing in something you might not like, check out BooksOnBoard.com because you can download the e-book versions for a lot cheaper-- it's worked for me so far.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments Not crazy about the moral content in this series - a little preachy, isn't it?

message 23: by Megs (new)

Megs | 1 comments I loved the first two books but found the last two couldn't keep up with the pace that had been set. I’ll even admit I took a sick day from work just to finish New Moon! Unfortunately Breaking Dawn was especially disappointing as the first two books covered such light topics like teen love while this last book tried to take on much heavier subject matter that I don’t know the intended demographic could fully grasp. Also as a woman who is pro-female independence I was really challenged with the messages being conveyed to young women with regards to healthy relationships!

All in all you gotta read all 4 but just know the first two are the best!

message 24: by Malloree (new)

Malloree (malloreehill) | 1 comments Initially i was determined to never read the series. It was becoming an epidemic when i was in High School and i was devoted to not becoming a "Twilighter."
HOWEVER, i came down with a nasty case of strep half way through my senior year and while searching for soup and other "fell better" items i came across the book section in Wal-Mart and thought i might pick something up to read seeing as how i was not allowed to go to school. Low and behold, Twilight was on sale for about $8.00. I figured why not see what all the hype was about and i bought it. As much as i didn't want to admit it at first, i really enjoyed the book. So much in fact i secretly asked my friend if i could borrow her copy of New Moon.
The books were a pleasant surprise to me and i ended up reading the whole series. I read the entire third book in about 5 days actually. Yes they get different as you go on, but once you start, you might as well go through them all. You may be just as surprised as i was.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa6705) | 6 comments I have read them all and I loved them, It was hard to put them down.