Moning Maniacs discussion

Darkfever (Fever, #1)
This topic is about Darkfever
FEVER : Books > Darkfever (Book #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by valee, Barrons Maniac (last edited Dec 16, 2010 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

valee | 1037 comments Mod
description

**SUMMARY**

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman.

Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands….

message 2: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

This was the first book I read as it was the first in the series and I read them in order.

I know most of the people who have read the series didn't enjoy this book as much as the others but for me the series was amazing since book 1. I got totally hooked with this series since page 1.

I loved the world created bu Moning and specially to get to know the characters. I think that in this series we get more Mac than any other character. But that was O.K. I loved Mac since book 1. I remember that Mac at the beginning was a bit shallow and innocent. After finishing book 4 I don't remember much of it though because Mac has grown so much since book 1 through the series.

There's not much romance in this one, but loved it nevertheless.

What did you think about this one?

Alycia This is the only one I've read so far. And I liked it, thought it had a lot of potential, but wasn't wowed like I thought I would be. I haven't read the rest of the series yet.

Darcy (sunnytat462) I do think this one lays the foundation for the rest of the book. Mac is still her normal selfish self here and so out of her element. By the end of the book she slowly has changed. I do like how she stands up to Barron's and everyone else.

message 5: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alycia wrote: "This is the only one I've read so far. And I liked it, thought it had a lot of potential, but wasn't wowed like I thought I would be. I haven't read the rest of the series yet."

LOL Alycia, you're in for a ride because if you liked book 1 the rest will amaze you because they are much better.

Alycia Vale wrote: "Alycia wrote: "This is the only one I've read so far. And I liked it, thought it had a lot of potential, but wasn't wowed like I thought I would be. I haven't read the rest of the series yet."

LOL..."

I did like book one, but didn't love it. SO glad to hear the others are beter! Thanks Vale! :)

message 7: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

They are! And don't worry Alycia, for most fever fans was the same. Book one was a 3 star rating for many but all next books 5 stars rating and a direct pass to their favs shelves.
So be happy you still have those 3 books to read. And I promise once you start with book 2 you won't be able to stop.

Alycia Such a relief! I will bump book 2 up on my tbr pile.

Toni | 49 comments Loved it!!! I am almost done with book 2 now and I think I like book 2 better but still both great!!!!

message 10: by Lula (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lula (Akashaa) | 3 comments Hi guys. Right now I'm just starting with this one. I'm at the beginning where Mac was hanging out at a bar and the crazy old lady shouted at her for staying at her fist unseelie. Can't wait to read more.

message 11: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loved that scene. Was that the lady who told her about unseelies after that? We may have to make a pre re read those who have bad memories as I do,lol. Can't wait fot that re-read.

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 329 comments I loved all of them. I felt like they weren't seperate books and they just flowed into one story. I couldn't wait to start the next one after finishing one. the first one didn't feel complete if that makes sense. That is why they feel like like one big book too me and it is killing me to wait for the last one.LOL

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 352 comments Mod
did my reread for darkfever and i gotta say i think it was better the second time around. 8)

message 14: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh MY, can't wait for the re-read!

hahaha. im doing re-read for another group b/c it looks like the fever series will be up for re-read each month. and it looks like faefever is winning for november too! go me for nominating them!

message 16: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek | 187 comments got my re-read ready on kindle! :P

message 17: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm gonna love this re-read so much!!!!! I think I'll re-read it with you all and then once more right before book 5 comes out,lol.

message 18: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek | 187 comments haha! I know, I was like- why am I starting now, I'll have the entire series re-read by the end of the week!!

message 19: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

I know, me too, but I'll try to control myself and read it as we said we will. I just hope I can, I'm afraid once I start with book 1 I wont be able to stop at all.

i just finished re-reading it. i knoe i just did it in september, but i had to re-read it again, i couldn't resist and god, i love you, barrons!

ill probally read it again rite before shadowfever comes out, most definitely.

Marissa (millionmph) | 237 comments All my fever books, except Dreamfever, are packed up tight in storage somewhere! I'm having minor hissy fits every time I think "The re-read is coming, the re-read is coming!".
I may just break down and buy them all again. :/

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 329 comments Walmart has them pretty cheap in paperback. LOL

message 23: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have been searching for book 1 and 2 in hardback everywhere and they are sold out! Not even amazon has them . Book one because I want the blue cover which no one has and book 2 only used.

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 329 comments Check out Powell's books in Portland. they have a lot of books. There are a lot of other online bookstores.

message 25: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek | 187 comments I thot the first two or three were initially released only in pb?

OH- did they release them later in HB?

message 26: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

The hardbacks are beautiful, I really like it but I just can't seem to find them. I'm not sure how they were published though.

i havent bought them yet. i wanted to wait. i want the new covers in hardback, but i dont even knoe if they will release the nwe covers in hardback yet. but i do have darkfever on kindle.

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 329 comments I am thinking of getting a kindle. Does anyone know of a group that talks about them? How do you like yours? Is it the latest edition?

message 29: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek | 187 comments I love mine- very convenient and easy to use. I also keep collecting print books so dont think just because you have one you wont have the other! :)

message 30: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

TLF I have just bought one so I can answer you anything you wanna know, just send me a message with all your questions!

i got just a kindle about 2 weeks ago and it is amazing, i like reading off it a lot better than print books.

message 32: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Me too, thought I would never like to read from it more than from books but I do. I still can't believe it,lol.

Amanda  (peanutty222) The only place I could find Darkfever and Bloodfever hardcover was a local used book store. Try searching there is you have any nearby.

Marissa (millionmph) | 237 comments Thanks to half price books I'm finally in possession of a second set of Fever books.(And back in non-panic mode) Now I'm just bouncing off the walls impatient, waiting for Nov 15th to get here already!

message 35: by Amanda (last edited Nov 11, 2010 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda  (peanutty222) Second set!?!?!? I got mine at half priced books too, but it must not be that popular around here, it took me months to get all of them. I kept checking and they were never there.

Marissa (millionmph) | 237 comments LOL My first set is holed up in our Fort Knox like storage unit, and Id much rather spend and extra $12 than even think about locating the box in that mess!

message 37: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm so excited about starting the re-read!But I am currently reading so many books at the same time that it will take me a while to get to it!!

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 329 comments I am re-reading VA, Harry Potter and Fever books. I have to fit in a Richard Paul Evans Christmas story for book club in December. Ugh. Not enough time to read. LOL. I am re-reading Faefever right now, which is book 3 I believe and an interesting thing was said by V'Lane. He says he can smell her blood. And that Rowena and the girls should be scared of her. She was mad at him and felt like he had messed up her plan to get in good graces with the sidhe-seers. Anyways, he says "You have barely begun to understand what you are." Rowena says she is bad to the core. But we know she is rainbows at heart. I think V'Lane and Rowena know about Mac. Even Dani in Dreamfever mentions that she knows about Mac too. And hopes Mac never finds out she knew stuff and didn't tell her. V'Lane acts all high and mighty to Mac but then he keeps coming back and trying to win her.

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 329 comments I don't thinkn Barrons knows what she is though. He keep s being amazed by her adn asking, "What are you? or Who are you?" I love it when he says she just got a little more interesting. LOL

message 40: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

**Sigh** Everything he tells her is so sexy! I just adore Barrons!

Marissa (millionmph) | 237 comments I'm going to start my reread as soon as I finish Lore's (demonica) book. I can't wait to get back in to Mac & Barrons life!

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) | 20 comments I just skipped all the posts in here just in case there are any spoilers...LOL

I just started reading this one and am only on chapter two. I really hope Mac is not like Sookie, while reading I got that vibe...hope it's not true! There's nothing worse than a great story with an annoying heroine! ;)

Amanda  (peanutty222) Lori wrote: "I just skipped all the posts in here just in case there are any spoilers...LOL

I just started reading this one and am only on chapter two. I really hope Mac is not like Sookie, while reading I go..."

I HATED Mac in the first book. She gets much, much better as the story progresses. You just have to put up with her in Darkfever and the begining on Bloodfever. She was kick-ass in Dreamfever!

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) | 20 comments Thanks Amanda! I really can't deal with another "Sookie" LOL

Amanda  (peanutty222) Lori wrote: "Thanks Amanda! I really can't deal with another "Sookie" LOL"

yeah, I totally agree, Sookie seemed to get worse as the books progressed.

message 46: by valee, Barrons Maniac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori wrote: "I just skipped all the posts in here just in case there are any spoilers...LOL

I just started reading this one and am only on chapter two. I really hope Mac is not like Sookie, while reading I go..."

Same thought about Sookie, but Mac is not like that at all. You'll love her!!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Lori, I was completely annoyed with Mac in the first book and more than half of the second one (although even there she'd made an imporvement). From the end of Bloodfever and all the way to Dreamfever, she's really grown into her role! I'm glad I stuck with her, she doesn't disappoint. :)

Chela (chelah) | 34 comments I have to agree with everyone in book one Mac was ridiculously naive but I think that was the point. With each book she gets a little more mature and determined. That's what I love about her each experince she has spurs growth and change in her. Unlike her counterpart Sookie who seems to get more worn and brow beaten with each book.        
And on to my seccond order of business :!!!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!!!
        So i'm really behind on the reread and I'm just barely half through DarkFever when I came across this on page 69 in reference to Druids: They believed day followed night, and held to a credo of metempsyhosis in which the human soul does not die but is reborn in different forms." that got me thinking maybe there is something to the theory that Mac is the dark king's cocubine. A few people have raised that notion  and now I'm starting to believe it too. Could that have been what Alina meant in her message (aside from the sidhe-seer and null thing). But what does that mean for Mac? Is she fated to be with the King? If so who is the king? Omg I hope it's Barrons . What do you all think?

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 329 comments I don't know what to think. KMM sad that every hint is not to mislead but to help us all come to the conclusion so it won't be a total surprise. I have so many different ideas in my head it is crazy. Like with Ryodan, half the time I like him and the other I am very suspicious of him V'lane too. I have thought that Mac could be descended from th the UK and COncubine or re-incarnated as the concubine. Remeber whenshe tells Barrons that maybe the UK should have just focused on being happy witht eh concubine durinf the lifetime she had instead of wasting it trying to make her immortal and turning himself bad. I think it took Barrons by surprise and was a valid point.

I liked the innocent Mac, not the shallowness. In all of the books KMM refers to her that way. Her dad in Dreamfever tells her mother that Mac couldn't do something bad. That she is good. Barrons calls her his rainbow girl. And even though she has been brought so low and is a little darker for it, she is still good inside.

What is that lake place in her head, not the sid-seer place?

Crystalmarie (CrystalsNovels) OMGosh is ShadowFever the last book? I have only started the series, and finishing the 1st book.
Please say, there will be more than 5 installments?!!

« previous 1