Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gus made me think of bagels, and now I must know your preferences.

H & H are my all time favorite bagels. Every time I go to New York now, someone says "Oh, our local bagel place is better..." but you know what? They're not.

Preferably pumpernickel, but no raisins.

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments H&H is right down the street from me! They're my favorite bagels too, Sarah, but there are a few other contenders. Essa Bagel in the East 20s, for instance. There used to be a great place called Columbia Bagel up in Morningside Heights, but I think they're gone now...

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17345 comments Mod
In Portland there were good fresh bagel shops. I like the ones with spicy cheese and stuff baked/boiled into them.

Bagels from the store and refrigerator are what I eat nearly every day but they aren't as wonderful as bagel shop goodness.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think there's something in the water in NYC that makes 'em better, but H & H has something extra. It may be crack.
Last time someone tried to convince me Barney Greengrass was as good as H & H. I told her she could buy all the fish she wanted to stick on top, but I would sprint a few extra blocks for the right bagel to put it on.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Also, once I played at the University of Southern Mississippi and then went out for a drink with the students afterward at this late night coffee-and-bar place and THEY HAD H & H bagels. So weird.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Well, FedEx is just two doors down from H & H. I could put a few in a box and send them to you, but I'm not sure how well they would hold up...

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i love bagels. we used to have a my fav muffin & bagel shop but it is closed. now i get them from panera bread. cinnamon crunch is my fav but asiago cheese is next. i like little seeds on them but no basil or dried tomato

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Panera are ok, I have actually gotten tired of the cinnamon crunch, the asiago cheese is better now.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Bagels in shops always seem obscenely expensive. That said, I like wheat best. I don't like the sugary ones that seem more like donuts than anything.

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments You guys are making me want an H&H bagel shop here. We don't have one. I feel deprived. :(

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

I've never had or heard of an H&H and I've still never had a Crispy Creme.

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Apr 22, 2010 03:11PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "I've never had or heard of an H&H and I've still never had a Crispy Creme."

We do have Krispy Kreme donuts here. You're not missing out, Sally. They're nothing to write home about - anytime I've ever had one (like when they leave some in the kitchen to share with the entire floor), I get sick from all the icing/sugar. Like I CRAVE plain boring healthy skinless tasteless chicken and rice after I eat a Krispy Kreme donut.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think Krispy Kremes are pretty gross, too. They're usually sold here in gas stations and look as if they've been in the little case for three weeks.

message 14: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Dunkin Donuts (aka DD) beats Krispy Kreme hands down any day of the week and as much as I hate the Yankees, there is nothing like a true New York bagel hmmm hmmm!

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You know the Boston people are going to support Dunkin Donuts.

I use Dunkin Donuts coffee in my French press device every morning now.

We don't have Dunkin Donuts here in southeast Wisconsin. When relatives from out east visit they go into withdrawls (sp?). You people are addicted, Cambridge...:)

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Krispy Kreme donuts USED to be good, but since they went tits up, and are slowly rotting away from financial ruin, you can taste the necrosis in their donuts.

I always chuckle at people around here who rave about bagels from places like Panera or Einsteins' Bagels. They suck. Hard. H&H are still the best ones on Earth.

Luckily for me, there's a bagel shop near me run by a Jewish family from Long Island. They make their bagels from scratch - well, they all do, really - but you can tell they've brought that NYC difference down with their bagels.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

There are no good bagel places around here Gus, we are only choosing from the best of the bad.

message 18: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle (chantelle13) | 38 comments I love bagels. Yum.

We have a new local donut place here...
http://www.fracturedprune.com/special...
it's supposed to be phenomenal.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

There are no Dunkin Donuts in the Madison area, and Krispy Kremes only in gas stations. I will choose DD over KK. KK are just too sweet, and that is saying alot for a donut.

message 20: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I don't like bagels. They never seem right to me. I had my first bagel when I moved to Miami for graduate school - allegedly, they were very good bagels, and they were okay to me. But I never made a habit of them. I grew up on biscuits. Which I also don't like all that much. As for donuts, KKs are grody, but the Publix bakery has the best damn donuts in town. Yum!!!! I brought some in this week for Administrative Professionals Day.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Chantelle wrote: "I love bagels. Yum.

We have a new local donut place here...
http://www.fracturedprune.com/special...
it's supposed to be phenomenal."

There's a fractured prune here too. I've been meaning to try it for a while (=approximately four years), but I don't actually buy donuts, so I haven't.

H & H claim they will ship anywhere, but I've never explored that option. I just save it for a treat when I go to the city. Which I should do soon. Hmm...

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Gus wrote: "I always chuckle at people around here who rave"

I'm going to go ahead and substitute "sneer" for "chuckle" in this thought.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Back to the water, that's why the west coast pizzas are horrid.

Bialies! The ones from Barney Greengrass are excellent, and they also have chubs! CHUBS! *drools*

message 24: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) No, I don't sneer in this regard. The fact that people don't truly know what a good bagel really tastes like isn't worthy of me sneering.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Why does the horrid water make the pizzas bad but the bagels good? And doesn't NYC supposedly have the best tap water in the country?

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori When I was there, it was rated excellent. But I remember Princeton Matt saying that it is now considered one of the worst.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

oh WEST coast. I'm all confernuckled.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Is that the shrinking brain syndrome?

message 29: by Cambridge (last edited Apr 23, 2010 11:16AM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments *twitching looking for the weed thread, thank goodness VT isn't too far away* Seems to me RA that DD wins out hands down and clearly Gus has my back with a good ol' fashioned Jewish NY bagel!!!!! NOTHING!!! like it!

p.s NY water is great in a bong as well, just saying ;)

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24322 comments Mod
I knew we had another bagel thread.

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

Thank you for reviving it. You left it with blue balls, though.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Whatever happened to Cambridge? She was fun.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm great at thinking up the same question years apart! It's probably about time for me to ask who likes to nap again.

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael Sarah Pi wrote: "It's probably about time for me to ask who likes to nap again."

Seriously? I like to nap.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've asked about it in at least two threads. Word for word identical. I always think of it in the middle of the afternoon when I need a nap.

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love to nap. Don't get enough time to do it lately and I usually need to eat chocolate and brush my teeth after one, but I love love love to nap.

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I hate naps. I must be doing it wrong because I often feel worse afterwards.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I'm not big on napping it messes up my sleep pattern, and I usually wake up with a headache. I love my Sleep.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Damn work! Gets in the way of everything.

message 40: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I love naps. :)

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael Mary wrote: "I hate naps. I must be doing it wrong because I often feel worse afterwards."

Try shorter naps. If I nap for too long then I feel like that, but 20-30 minutes is really great. Especially at work.

message 42: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments it's almost time for my 8-hour nap.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No, Janine, it's far too early.

message 44: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments it's 11:30.

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh.

message 46: by Lalalalaaa (last edited Feb 28, 2011 02:40PM) (new)

Lalalalaaa | 12 comments I hate you all for living in America or wherever you live. You get girl scout cookies and coffee from Starbucks and you have huge bookstores everywhere and you don't have to take the bus for 40 minutes just to get to Burger King. And now you're talking about bagels too??? Isn't pizza hut good enough for you guys? I'm so moving to America.

Ah, but I love naps. I take siestas every day. Sometimes for 20 minutes, sometimes for 5 hours... sometimes I just wake up the next day and get really annoyed because I overslept. Happens all the time. I hate falling asleep in the sun though.. I always feel a little out of it for the rest of the day when that happens. Which is pretty often..

message 47: by Félix (last edited Feb 28, 2011 02:41PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jealousy doesn't become you, Peytavi.

I could so live in a siesta zone.

Janine -- do they take siestas in Mauritius?

message 48: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24322 comments Mod
I don't nap.

message 49: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Larry wrote: "Janine -- do they take siestas in Mauritius?"

yes.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments The grass is always greener on the other side Peytavi. I think Madrid would be a great place.

I really like your name by the way.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.