Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Leonard Nimoy retires

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments From now on, Nimoy intends to concentrate on his photography. (His specialty is unusual nude portraits.)

Glad to see that he still has passions pushing the age of eighty, but i'm very curious about what "unusual" nude portraits entail...

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was afraid to click on the link to his photography website. Maybe at home.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I've seen his nude portraits. He specializes in photographing subjects that too often don't get photographed. He did a photo essay on "fat" women, in which he challenged society's notions on what constitutes being fat. Very tasteful, and provocative.

I love Leonard Nimoy. The world needs to love him for more than just being Mr. Spock.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments :::weeps:::

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Sorry, Jackie.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh, Spock, we barely knew ye...

Well, hey, I don't love Nimoy for his singing, you know. :)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Oh, Spock, we barely knew ye...

Well, hey, I don't love Nimoy for his singing, you know. :)"

I should hope not. Have you heard his version of "I Walk the Line"??

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Better than the Shats.

His latest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zYD3...

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments But Shatner does get some credit for the absolutely awesome cover of Common People he did with Ben Folds and Joe Jackson.

message 11: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I think he did a better version of that song than Jarvis Cocker did, and I love Pulp's version.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Me too. A lot of the credit goes to Joe Jackson, though. I think it gets its energy from him.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Just one more thing...

Shatner and Nimoy were two of the best guest stars ever to appear on Columbo. Both were villains. Shatner played an over-the-top ham actor--naturally--and Nimoy a cold and calculating doctor who tried his hand at murder (two different episodes). Great stuff.

message 14: by Phil (new)

message 15: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Columbo is one of the greatest shows, ever. My wife and I own every season on DVD.

For my money, the episode with Patrick McGoohan might have been the best one.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Anybody remember the murder mystery spoof "Murder by Death?" It had Peter Falk and Peter Sellers and Maggie Smith and Alex Guinness and Eileen Brennan and was very over the top and funny. All of the talk of Columbo brought it to my mind.

Alas, having grown up in NYC, the first thing that comes to my mind from the word Columbo is actually frozen yogurt.

message 17: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Believe it or not, Sarah, I own that movie. Yes, indeed, it's very very funny.

They still sell Columbo frozen yogurt in NYC supermarkets. I'm going back in a couple of weeks...I'll pick some up for you.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Thanks! I like the coffee flavor. If you're driving past, some H & H bagels would be lovely too.

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I've got the Columbo no-fat French Vanilla in the fridge right now as I write.

Patrick McGoohan was the villain in two separate Columbo episodes, the one where he's the crazed headmaster of a military school and the one where he's a rogue CIA agent. Which one were you thinking of Gus?

message 20: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) The headmaster one. Although the CIA agent was really good, too, a nice nod to what he did with The Prisoner.

Sarah, you got it. H&H Bagels are the best bagels on Earth. Seriously.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Excellent. If you actually are driving and not flying, I'm dead serious. I'll pay you in beer if you'd like. Or cash. We're right off of 95 so not even out of your way.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
I'm not surprised Gus likes Coloumbo. That seems like his alley.

message 23: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Interesting, Sally. Even more interesting is that I'm usually not fond of detective stuff, since I can usually figure out whodunnit in no time. Columbo is an refreshing spin on the genre.

Also, I like The Rockford Files, but only because Jim Rockford seemed like a real sonofabitch.

Also, my lawn maintenance guy - he who's trying to keep my dying lawn green - also moonlights as a private investigator. Hmm...

message 24: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sarah, actually, I'm flying. But I'll arrange for the pilot to fly low so I can airlift your goodies to you.

Airlift? Shouldn't that be airdrop?

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments :(

I'm not very good at catching things.

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I really, really enjoyed his performance in the recent Star Trek movie. It was so clever and sublime and perfect. I really thought he made the movie.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Misha wrote: "How can you possibly mention Nimoy's musical career without this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HQ1K..."

Hahaha! What a trip.

message 28: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Misha,

How weird! Nimoy's singing is pretty awful, but I loved the whole look of the video, really captures the era... Anyway, thanks for the clip!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hahahahahahaha!!! Okay, I love that...

message 30: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Anyone see this pic recently?

According to the guy who posted this pic: A friend of mine snagged the shot. He's choosing to remain anonymous but its awesome all the same. He stood in line to get his photo taken and just said "Lets do this makes hand gesture" and they took the photo. The whole crowd standing in line was cheering so i believe thats why Nimoy is grinning ear to ear. As far as i can tell he wasnt aware of the cultural significance of the Shocker..

message 31: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11667 comments I ask Gretchen to note that I am not commenting on the picture above, and am thus keeping my avatar unsullied at this time.

message 32: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i was warned, but had to look it up anyway. my avatar is a picture of myself, does that excuse me?

message 33: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sorry, guys, I should have mentioned that the "shocker" is a pretty crude sexual gesture. The "Spocker" is even funnier, albeit just as crude.

Funny story: a couple of co-workers of mine were goofing off, flashing "shocker" signs to each other, when a female co-worker walks by. She asks what the sign means, but neither my colleagues or I were willing to dish. However, she's pretty cool, and she's got quite the potty mouth, but we were hesitant to tell her. Instead, we advised her to ask her husband.

The next day, she told us she asked her husband. His reply? "Jesus fucking Christ, what kind of perverts do you work with?"

We're all still good friends, and she'll flash the sign just to make us giggle.

message 34: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments had to google that one too, even though the meaning is quite obvious when you know what the shocker means.