Detectives! discussion

What makes your favorite series so special and why?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I think that she is a very clever author. Her two different series are miles apart as far personality is concerned. The biggest draw it has for me is it is set in the Victorian Era, and Anne Perry knows her Victorian Era extremely well.

message 2: by Mary Todd (last edited Jul 17, 2008 08:42AM) (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 13 comments I think my favorite of all time is the Nero Wolfe series...I'm so sad I'm finished reading them all. I can only hope when I get old I'll forget I read them and can read them again.
I love the era he wrote in (1930's-1960's) and just hanging out with Mr. Wolfe, Archie, Theodore and I can't remember the cook...see I'm forgeting already! If you haven't read them, you are in for a treat.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob | 5 comments Through the years, (I promise I'm not going to go maudlin') there have been so many series I have been following. But the first one that introduced me to the genre was Ellery Queen, actually a pseudonym for Fredric Dannay and Mannfred Lee (it's been so long, I may have gotten the names incorrectly). Anyway, he (or they) have a way of inserting clues in the story and before the end of the story/novel, he/they would challenge the reader to come up with the identity of the criminal. I had a lot of fun guessing and explaining why. And then proceeding to Ellery's explanation or re-creation of the crime. There was even a short-lived TV series made from the books starring a tall, lanky and good-looking actor.
I don't know if the book series is still being re-printed, but I'm sure the local library would have some old copies.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna (skeets) | 8 comments I believe the tall lanky and good-looking guy who played Ellery Queen on the T.V. show of the same name was Timothy Hutton's dad Tim.

Good reading, Donna

message 5: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 13 comments Has anyone seen the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and/or read the series? The HBO is absolutely wonderful.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) Mary Todd wrote: "I think my favorite of all time is the Nero Wolfe series...I'm so sad I'm finished reading them all. I can only hope when I get old I'll forget I read them and can read them again.
I love the era..."

Nero Wolfe is one of my all time favorites as well (the chef is Fritz and the guy who helps with the orchids is Theo). The stories are so clever and engaging and I like all the delicious-sounding meals that Nero and Archie have all the time. I'd love to be a dinner guest at Nero's house a few times.

message 7: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 13 comments Did you know there is a Nero Wolfe cookbook? It's WONDERFUL! I make the blueberry dump all the time.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) I didn't know about this cookbook. I think I'll get it and try some recipes - like corn fritters with honey. I remember Archie having those for breakfast and they sounded delicious.