Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive (BOTM) > MAY ~ Kiss of Midnight

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
Lets talk about the May group read. How are you finding it? Like it so far. If you've already read the book feel free to jump in too!! Be respectful of spoilers - do a warning if your posting one.

Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian

chucklesthescot I'll be starting on this one as soon as I finish with the April reads! It's the first book I've tried by this author so I'm looking forward to it!

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I read this a month or so ago, but looking forward to discussing it.

message 4: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) so those who have read it, is it really good? b/c ive asked around a lot and i get mixed reviews about it.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) The main focus of the book is the romance between the couple chosen for the book. Each book is a different POV. It is very very similar to BDB in that there are vampires that are alive and they have an enemy. The vampires we are introduced to in this series are warriors, ancient warriors like in BDB. The civilian vampires live in their own colonies. I prefer the enemy in this series (Rogues) to the lessers -- i don't skip the Rogue parts like I do the lesser parts. But ..... I only read the first two and didn't feel compelled to go on. I bought the third and will read it. The men are hot and alpha. The sex is steamy. The romance is inspiring. There is an interseting concept of the origin of the vampires and then the origin of their enemy. And then it is interesting why the women are chosen (they are not vampires, there are no female vampires). But the world building is weaker than many good UF books and PNR books (this is defintely PNR). I do think her writing is better than Ward's writing, but Ward excels at character interaction and Adrian doesn't have that same witty back and forth between the men that I think many of us adore about BDB. So ..... I personally wouldn't say BDB is really good (even though I plowed through them like a bucket of ice cream lol), so I would put these in the same ball park as BDB with the drawbacks and differences I mentioned before.

I wouldn't recommend this series as a favorite, there is much I would recommend before it. But if you are looking for a romance with a guarantee HEA that involves a hot alpha man and some biting, vampire stuff and fighting you will enjoy it.

message 6: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 373 comments I have this as my first book in the mini may challenge so will be joining you all.

message 7: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Regina wrote: "The main focus of the book is the romance between the couple chosen for the book. Each book is a different POV. It is very very similar to BDB in that there are vampires that are alive and they h..."

Thanks Regina. Sounds interesting and worth reading! I'll read this one when I want an HEA :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I'm over halfway through with it. It's not mind blowing or as addicting as other series out there, but it's still really good!

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Shera wrote: "I'm over halfway through with it. It's not mind blowing or as addicting as other series out there, but it's still really good!"

My thoughts exactly Shera.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Just finished the book and my thoughts stay the same on it.

message 11: by Regina (last edited May 04, 2010 02:59PM) (new)

Regina (reginar) Shera will you read the others? I am reading #4 right now, I really want to read #5 and 6 - -those seem really good based on the description. What I like about this series is that it is a nice filler. When I am not sure what to read next, I can grab one of these books and know that they are decent but not all consuming.

message 12: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited May 03, 2010 09:14PM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I'm pretty sure I'll continue them, it was a nice filler and I really did enjoyed it. However, I'll probably hold of buying them for a bit.

Do the books keep getting better and better?

message 13: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 373 comments I'm finding this actually hard going, got about 70 pages in and have actually restarted it today as I think I have missed something, all I will say is watch this space.

message 14: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Well..... I'm not looking forward to this book as much as I was. But I'll try to keep an open mind :)

message 15: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 373 comments I had missed something and it is making more sense now but I just can't get into it, I will finish it though. Keep an open mind Jen, some books just take me a while and then I sail through the last few chapters.

message 16: by Tonia (new)

Tonia | 19 comments I read this series last year before her latest book Shades of Midnight was released in December. I liked the series but not as good as BDB. As with most series out there some books are better than the others, but as a whole I really enjoyed it. Keep reading guys, don't give up on them!

message 17: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Tonia wrote: "I read this series last year before her latest book Shades of Midnight was released in December. I liked the series but not as good as BDB. As with most series out there some books are better tha..."

Good to hear they are worth keeping on with. I've just started Kiss of Midnight and it's not doing it for me yet. Sometimes though I find books start out that way and end up really good so I'm not going to give up!

message 18: by Alisha (new)

Alisha (schalazeal) | 28 comments Enjoyed it well enough. I'm definitely planning on reading the second one... there were some juicy seeds planted in this one that will totally make for awesome main plot threads later on. I dig the origin story of vamps here... never heard of this particular slant before.

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I love her take on the vamps. I just wish it was less formulaic and more world building as to why the breedmates exist in the first place. That is a huge leap.

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I am really enjoying #4 so far. A good mindless read. Nice and passionate. :)

message 22: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I've got pretty mixed feelings on this one.The first half was too short on action and too much flaming vampire pants for me-but that's not surprising when I'm more of a UF girl than PNR! I would have liked more on the Breed Vampires working together-maybe some humour and witty quips between brothers kind of thing,a few more detailed attacks on the rogue nests...I just felt the vamps lacked some personality.Decent enough read but won't bother with the rest of the series.

message 23: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited May 11, 2010 10:53AM) (new)

I'm not very far into this one yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. I was expecting an easy to read, not too much thinking type of PNR book and I'm getting just that!

message 24: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 373 comments I have to say I am really struggling with this one, don't know why but it sounded good and I can't get into it.

message 25: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Chucklesthescot, that was one of my issues with Kiss. The couple is always the main focus of these books, but the author does start incorporating more from the vampire world as the series goes on. I wanted more about the relationship between the warriors and more about the world. I enjoyed the romance, and it was an easy passionate read. As the series moves on, it does get slightly more complex (but still formulaic in terms of the romance and sex), slighlty more world building and in book 3 and 4 (which is how many I have read) there is much more on the relationship between the warriors, and banter, etc. The Rogues become key and the enemy is clear -- and while the fights are not written blow for blow, the Rogues are written in more detail (and unlike the lessers I don't feel the need to skip them). Reading the descriptions of books 5 and 6, I am looking forward to them. I have them waiting for me at the library (if I ever get back in town from traveling for work ... )

I agree it is not the best PNR series I have read, but I do enjoy the straightforward romance, it is a quick non-thinking read. In a way I wish I could combine this with Ward. I love the world of BDB. I love the world building she has done. The relationship between the brothers. The jokes, the banter. But I do not always like the way Ward writes, but I stick around for her content. Adrian, I like the way she writes, but the content is lacking (but still enjoyable).

message 26: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot It might be worth trying the other books in the series if I spot them around charity shops...thanks for the info Regina!

message 27: by Yazmin (new)

Yazmin Cancel (ykc61377) I read this book a long time ago and really enjoyed it. I never continued the series but will probably pick it up at the library sometime in the near future. I do remember it being very similiar to BDB, although J.R. Ward's series is hardcore.

message 28: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia (yadkny) (yadkny) | 2 comments I just finished reading the latest book of the series over the weekend and I have to say looking back to the beginning, the series has definitely gotten better over time in my opinion. There is more action and character interactions as the series progresses. The relationship dynamics among the couples also gets better. In some instances I found them a little better than BDB.

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 89 comments I read this not too long ago. I really enjoy this series! It reminds my of BDB

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (krazij) | 4 comments I LOVED this series. Was one of my first in the paranormal romance territory. The books only got better. My favorite are the 2nd (Dante's story) 3rd (Tegans story) and 4th (Rio's story).

Can't wait til the next one in the series comes out later on this year.........

Avid Reader Amy's Reviews (avidreadamysreviews) I first read this book about a year ago and it was good. I read it again every once in a while. I love the story line. It is simular to Black Daggar Brotherhood but a little different. I love all the books but Tegan and Rio have to be my favorites.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (krazij) | 4 comments LOL I've always had this "thing" for the tortured male I guess. Rio made my heart melt.......

message 33: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited May 24, 2010 01:31PM) (new)

Finished Kiss of Midnight and I really enjoyed it! I have to admit I found it took me a while to get into the book but once I started to care about Lucan and Gabrielle I liked it a lot. Found it hard to get my head around the origins of the vampires in this series at first though!

Like the way Gabrielle is a really strong character and takes no BS from Lucan or anyone else! Interesting and nice to see it's the males' life which is turned upsidedown despite the fact that it is the woman who physically moves to a new place.

I will definitely be reading the rest of the series at some point.

message 34: by Carolyn F. (last edited May 26, 2010 08:24AM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 256 comments The origin thing is an eye roller, but I just ignored that and ended up really liking the books.

message 35: by Bookworms (new)

Bookworms | 43 comments I finished with Shades of Midnight, the last published one of this series and I'm a big fan of this series. For me this series is a little bit better than the BDB series. The first book was fascinating and very good, Lucan is a attractive and sexy vampire. The story between him and Gabrielle was very good. The background story is very good, too I think. And well, the best warrior of all is TEGAN. I love this one and can't read enough about him *lol*

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (krazij) | 4 comments I actually like the fact that the orginals (the ancients) were aliens. It makes more sense to me and now you have the good vamps and the rouges.

I've read the 2nd, 3rd and 4th books so many times, the bindings are loose! lol

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments It interesting when the vampires are aliens. Reminds me of the Mona-Lisa series by Sunny.

The alien spin wasn't really elaborated on in this book, I thought there could have been more given on it.

Lucan and Gabrielle where a great couple. Gabrielle was a fairly strong and realized character.

message 38: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 373 comments I am really struggling with this one, I have restarted it twice and still only half way, it just isn't gripping me.