Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (httpgoodreadscomelaine_chaika) | 241 comments I've been on a b&w pre-50's movie kick and just saw Laura. It is as witty as it was in 1944 and even the acting hasn't suffered with age. Of course, it couldn't be made today because it is impossible not to know what happened over the past weekend nowadays. We forget what life was like with shaky telephone service, no mobiles, no TV. How easy it was to get lost. Clifton Webb is still a master at venom, Dana Andrews remains a hunk (no, I don't want to see him as an old man), and Gene Tierney herself, ethereally beautiful. I have two other of her movies to watch soon: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Leave Her to Heaven. It will be interesting to see if they stand up as well as this gem, which doesn't have a word or a shot out of place.

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10722 comments yeah, that's a good one.

message 3: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I hate to admitt it...but I've never seen LAURA. Oh, I've read about it and have seen the famous clips from it, bu have never sat down and watched completely. It's been in my queue for over a year so I need to bump this ASAP!

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5438 comments "I should be sincerely sorry to hear that my neighbor's children had been devoured by wolves."

message 5: by Phillip (last edited Aug 19, 2010 07:46AM) (new)

Phillip | 10722 comments alex,

it's more of a literary noir film ... hmn. what do i mean by that? um, you know, a lot more depends on dialogue than action or clever plot twists (there is one major twist that is really cool, but i'll say no more about it). it's not a classic crime drama like the big sleep, but more like out of the past (but not as good, imo). there is some really clever dialogue, like the bit tom quoted (funny, right?), but it's not a perfect film. the last time i watched it i found it a bit sleepy in fact. it's definitely worth seeing - i'd be really curious to see what you think of it.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Laura is a great classic. I like the dialogue and the alternation in the film. Wasn't Vincent Price playing a lead in that film?

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5438 comments Yes, Vincent Price plays Shelby, Laura's apparent fiance.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Thanks Tom. I recall his playing a few lead or supporting roles in 40's films like Dragonwyck. He seemed to slide into pure horror soon after that. He did have the voice for horror.

message 9: by Phillip (last edited Aug 20, 2010 08:59AM) (new)

Phillip | 10722 comments vincent price is also great in the early samuel fuller film, the baron of arizona, one of his early lead roles (that isn't horror).

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Never seen it. That's rare that I missed a price film. Thanks. I'll add it to my list.

message 11: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Thanks Phillip!

Here's a cool story: My mother had dinner with Vincent Price! Years ago, a friend of my mothers worked for the Forum (in Harrisburg, PA) and Vincent Price was a featured speaker. Her friend was scheduled to pick VP up at the airport and my mother rode along. He took them both out to eat and my mother said he was very dignified and respectful and just a damn nice guy; no pretensions of celebrity. He paid for dinner and anwered all their "fangirl" questions. But my mother forgot to get tickets for me at the Forum so I missed his speech, so I never got to meet him (I was only a teenager). I have no regrets because it was a very special evening that my mother never forgot.

message 12: by Phillip (last edited Aug 20, 2010 09:54PM) (new)

Phillip | 10722 comments great story, alex! he certainly seemed the type not to take the fame thing too seriously. your mom must have been on cloud 9 for days!

i knew a script writer back in the late 1980's when i was living back in LA for a minute, and he worked on films with a lot of the greats back in the late 1940's through the 1960's. he had nice things to say about vincent price and joan crawford - someone you might not expect to hear such nice things about (if you've seen mommy dearest). he met crawford at a party one night and was introduced to her and two years later she saw him on a set and came running up to him and said, "hi paul!" - he was blown away that she had remembered his name.

the baron of arizona is in that criterion/eclipse series box set entitled The Early Films of Samuel Fuller - so that means folks like netflix probably have it. check it out - it's a hoot.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) the music in the background, and poor Clifton Webb, trying to figure out what happened to Laura. Gene Tierney was a terrific actress in Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

message 14: by Manuel (last edited Sep 05, 2010 01:45PM) (new)

Manuel | 469 comments A great film.
I couldnt help falling in love with Gene Tierney in this movie.

A few points have always bothered me though.
We see how Laura and Clifton Webb meet in a flash back. But I have always thought it was unrealistic to have her be a copy writer right out of high school. This was the 40's when male chauvinism reigned supreme, how could she have gotten such a plum job so young? (its a minor pet peeve of mine)

Vincent Price ironically also played her spurned fiance in "Leave her to Heaven".

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) she had connections anything is possible in hollywood. in some parts male chauvinism still rules supreme.