Tudor History Lovers discussion

Buddy Reads > Elizabeth & Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens - Jane Dunn

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments I've never read it, and I snatched it up at Half Price Books the other day. I'm perfectly satisfied reading it all by my lonesome, but if anybody hasn't gotten around to this one before (or feels like re-reading, whatever) and is interested in doing a buddy read... gimme a shout. :D

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments This has been sitting on my shelves for over a year now, actually. I need to catch up on some other books first, but would love to read this with someone. Probably won't be until mid- to late-May though :(

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments Well, poop! I've been going through books at a high rate lately, so I will definitely be done by then, but when you do get around to it, I will happily chat about it with you. I'm enjoying it so far, more than I thought I was going to.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I added it to my TBR, but I have 20 library books to get through before I ever start looking at what books to add next.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (mylilboog) I bought this on Half.com a few months ago, but haven't made it through the first chapter yet. I keep getting books from the library that hold my interest longer. I usually only read things that are Pre-Elizabeth, but for some reason I picked this one up. One of these days I will get around to reading it.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments I have a few issues with the writing style, but otherwise it's a relatively interesting book. Much more about Elizabeth than Mary, though. The author will go on about Elizabeth for pages and pages, then have a couple of paragraphs of what Mary was doing during that time period. In spite of its flaws, I'm liking it, though I'm in a hurry to get through it because I have a couple of other (non-Tudor) books waiting that I'm itching to get into.

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Lynn | 8 comments I really loved this take on tge Elizabeth/ Mary Queen of Scots dynamic. I enjoyed the side by side comparison and contrasting. The focus on women role models, or lack their of, and how that effected each young queen was a fresh perspective for me.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauraajohnsonrn) I have not read it, but it is on my list.

message 9: by Marian (new)

Marian Tara wrote: "I really loved this take on tge Elizabeth/ Mary Queen of Scots dynamic. I enjoyed the side by side comparison and contrasting. The focus on women role models, or lack their of, and how that effecte..."

One of these days I shall read that one:)Glad to hear you enjoyed it:)

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments Heather wrote: "I have a few issues with the writing style, but otherwise it's a relatively interesting book. Much more about Elizabeth than Mary, though. The author will go on about Elizabeth for pages and pages,..."

I understand, Heather.

message 11: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 36 comments I personally enjoyed this a lot.