Classics Book Club discussion

Challenges 2010 > Challenge 2010: The Brontë Sisters

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Apr 21, 2010 07:27AM) (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Challenge 2010: The Brontë Sisters

This category is worth 100 points!!! In order to achieve all 100 points, you must read all of the works listed. However, you may also gain 50 points by reading half of the works listed (4 works). Here is some background from Wikipedia. We definitely need discussion topics here!!!

Charlotte, Emily and Anne Brontë - British (works published in mid-1800’s)

The Brontë sisters’ novels attracted great critical attention and steadily became best-sellers, but the sisters’ career was shortened by ill health. Upon publication, Jane Eyre received the most critical and commercial success of all the Brontë works, continuing to this day.

Works to Complete

By Charlotte: Jane Eyre (1847), Shirley (1849), Villette (1853), The Professor (1857), Emma (1860)
By Emily: Wuthering Heights (1847)
By Anne: Agnes Grey (1847), The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (1848)

Reading List (for discussion purposes)

By Emily: Wuthering Heights (1847)
By Anne: Agnes Grey (1847), The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (1848)
By Charlotte: Jane Eyre (1847), Shirley (1849), Villette (1853), The Professor (1857), Emma (1860)

However, since we are reading Jane Eyre for the month right now, let's start with this one and then follow the list.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Riva (tracyriva) | 6 comments I was reading the novels of the Bronte sisters anyway so count me in on this challenge. I'm definitely looking forward to dicussing the works as we read them.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Waggoner (crazybass33) | 4 comments Rachel wrote: "Challenge 2010: The Brontë Sisters

This category is worth 100 points!!! In order to achieve all 100 points, you must read all of the works listed. However, you may also gain 50 points by read..."

Count me in. I've heard about all of these books over the years but never took the time to read them. Now I have some motivation.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Hi Antia,
Do you have access to Amazon.com (internet site for buying books and other things)? I just checked on there and there are two books that are just Emma, and other books that include Emma along with other works. There are also books out that are The Collected Works of the Bronte sisters.
Hope this helps!

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (hawkstar) | 73 comments Mod
I'll join in on this one, I've been wanting to read all of the Bronte sisters' works.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) There has been some question about an order to the reading for this challenge, which would be helpful for discussion purposes. Since chronological order would be difficult (some works were published posthumously), I think maybe reading least to most works published would be an idea. So that would mean first Wuthering Heights by Emily, then Anne's works, then Charlotte's. Does this work? If you like this idea I'll list them so that everyone is on the same page (LOL!!).

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Riva (tracyriva) | 6 comments My comment is actually a question. How long do we have to complete the challenge? Does it have to be done by the end of the month or do we have some time with it?

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Riva (tracyriva) | 6 comments Rachel wrote: "There has been some question about an order to the reading for this challenge, which would be helpful for discussion purposes. Since chronological order would be difficult (some works were publish..."

I think this sounds like a really good idea and will start on Wuthering Heights right away. I also think having everyone reading the same pieces at the same time makes sense. It also enables anyone joining the challenge later to know what they missed.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) The challenges all go until Dec. 31... but I think next time around putting different limits might work. This time we have until the end of the year to try to achieve 500 total points. List your scores each month so we can motivate each other and keep track of points.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Waggoner (crazybass33) | 4 comments A list sounds like a good idea.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Ok, the list is up. I did note that we should start with Jane Eyre since it's a monthly discussion, and then follow the list. Hope this helps :)

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Riva (tracyriva) | 6 comments Rachel wrote: "Ok, the list is up. I did note that we should start with Jane Eyre since it's a monthly discussion, and then follow the list. Hope this helps :)"

Good, I was trying to read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights and my review material. It was a bit overwhelming. Now I can have a little more balance.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think that I can join in on this one. I'm sorry! I'm just going to be very busy this year.

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Riva (tracyriva) | 6 comments I had a question about the book "Emma". Why is it on our list since Bronte only wrote two chapters of the book?

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Tracy wrote: "I had a question about the book "Emma". Why is it on our list since Bronte only wrote two chapters of the book?"

Hi Tracy, I included Emma because it's a work that is now being included in the collective works (that are published). It must be significant in some way (ha ha!), but at least I hope it's a good read!

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Riva (tracyriva) | 6 comments Rachel wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I had a question about the book "Emma". Why is it on our list since Bronte only wrote two chapters of the book?"

Hi Tracy, I included Emma because it's a work that is now being inc..."

Hi. I asked because it's not included in the volume with the collected novels of the Bronte sisters. I just wanted to make sure it was known that she only wrote two chapters of Emma.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Thank you! It's good to know :)

message 18: by Kehinde (new)

Kehinde Adeniyi (kadeniyi21) | 6 comments i'm reading jane eyre now and having so much fun. its so easy to read. i was scared when i started that it would be one of those stiff english classics but its actually quite marvelous. think i'll try the other bronte sisters although i tried wuthering heights once and couldn't get into it for some reason. worth another go rite?

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) Definitely another go... the wild moors, the gothic surroundings (heightened dark!!), Heathcliff....

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Tracy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I had a question about the book "Emma". Why is it on our list since Bronte only wrote two chapters of the book?"

Hi Tracy, I included Emma because it's a work that is ..."

Hi Tracy, re "Emma", are we going to read "Emma Brown: A novel from the unfinished manuscript by Charlotte Bronte" by Clare Boylan, or is there a book published with just the two chapters by Charlotte Bronte? (I never knew about this "Emma", only about Jane Austen's!)

message 21: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick I have just requested Wuthering Heights from my local library...let us see how long it will take - hehe :)

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Waggoner (crazybass33) | 4 comments I just finished Jane Eyre and I have to say I am impressed. I have never read any of the Bronte sisters so this was a new venture for me. Having being steeped in Thomas Mann, Kafka, and Steinbeck, Charlotte's writing was refreshing, engaging, and entertaining. I needed a good female author to initiate me in this type of reading club, Jane Eyre proved to be a great spring board. Now, I look forward to reading Wuthering Heights.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Snoopi) So glad you enjoyed it! Mann and Steinbeck are definitely dry compared to our dynamic Charlotte!! Kafka is just, well, Kafka! Great to know you´re exploring new territory!

message 24: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick a little late, but just finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. check - now what classic will I read next from the group??