Powell Branch Library Book Discussion discussion

"The Book Thief" Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Sullivan | 21 comments Wow, who knew death had a heart?? This was a truly amazing read. The perspective from which it is written is one of the most unique I've read in a long time. One of the reviews on the front of the book claimed, "It is life-changing", and I really have to agree. I don't think I'll ever look at death the same as I did before I read this wonderful book.

message 2: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I am just about finished with this book, I will finish it tonight! Wow! I can't wait to discuss this one...

message 3: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wright | 46 comments Finished and WOW! I agree with Maggie on this one.

I really loved this book. I love the way it was written from Death’s point of view. I love the way he let the story unfold as if he was having a conversation with you. The way he described the color of things, really got me caught up in the moment. I am a visual artist and hung from every description. The story was so beautiful, I loved so many of the characters and their hearts. Even Death had a heart!
I loved the ending… Do you think that Liesel and Max got married?

message 4: by Kimberly Ann (new)

Kimberly Ann | 30 comments My kids recommended that I read this book. I thought it was rather dark for a Young adult book, but well-crafted, very unusual. I think it left me a bit melancholy.

message 5: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I didn't think it was too dark for young adult, I thought of it more as a dose of reality. I hope it makes the younger person question the rights and wrongs of what happened -or- maybe apply it to their future by not passing judgement on someone because you don't know their circumstances. I love the way the narrator painted the scene with color, asked questions about life, and was constantly revealing compassion.

message 6: by Tomi (new)

Tomi Baker | 7 comments I just started the book. Thank you for explaining that it's written from Death's perspective. I'm on page 21 and little confused.

message 7: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wright | 46 comments Tomi - Once you get into the book, it will feel like you are listening to a conversation with Death. I got hung up on the first part too, but realized he was just setting the stage for the story! The book started to unfold and I could not put it down.

message 8: by Tomi (new)

Tomi Baker | 7 comments I'm still reading the book. And I am undecided as to whether or not I like it.

message 9: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I am curious to see if you like it. It is a book I plan to purchase

message 10: by Kimberly Ann (new)

Kimberly Ann | 30 comments Stick with it, it's interesting.

message 11: by Brandi (last edited Jun 21, 2012 07:49AM) (new)

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I still think about this book after reading it last summer. I recommend it to most of my friends, they end up loving this book.

I also still think about when Death tells Liesel that he (she, it???) is "haunted" by humans..... why do you think Death is haunted by humans?

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Sullivan | 21 comments I think Death is haunted by humans because of their fraility and mortality.

message 13: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I also think Death is haunted by the freedom of choice that humans control in their life. Perhaps he is trying to better understand the emotional attachment we have to things or the reason we are willing to die for what we believe in.
Maybe Death is amazed that words have the power to destroy or save lives???