Friends who write discussion

where do you get your ideas for your stories

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) I get mine from my warped dreams--That's where the idea for my soon to be published novel comes from.

The Dead comics novel comes from my experience in doing and writing comedy.

I thought how neat it would be if comics were getting knocked off.

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I get a lot of my ideas from my life. Unfortunately, that makes them either sad or violent most of the time. I am trying to find something else I can get my ideas from.

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I don't really know where my ideas come from. Usually I think or see or hear one thing, and it leads to something else that is a good idea for a story or first line...

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Thanks Andi and Veronica. I take some from my life too . I love doing stand up comedy so the book I am currently writing revolves around that theme.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I get mine from experiences or what I want to happen.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) do u write an outline or just go with the flow?

message 7: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I tend to go with the flow. I think of it as I am typing it. I have done it that way for a long time.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I definitely go with the flow. I hardly ever outline anything.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Go with the flow. Yeah I kinda think as I go.

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Something I'm writing came from someone saying something about roses being able to be used for significance in a story. It is turning out better than I could have imagined.

message 11: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 7 comments I sort of go with both. I make a note of what I want for sure to happen and approx. where in the book, but I go with the flow for the inbetween parts.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (milkshake) | 2 comments I normally have some thought of what will happen but I go with the flow for most of the book

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments My ideas for stories usually just pop in my head from out of nowhere...lol...I've always had an active imagination...now it it has somewhere to go :)
Brenda

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah mine kinda pop into my head randomly too! I forgot about that!

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) somewhere in reading what I have written so far someone says hey what about this? If I feel it fits I run with it if not it goes on the back burner til I need it.

message 16: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 10 comments In terms of my fiction, the ideas come looking for me. I knew nothing about my fantasy novel, The MoonQuest, when I wrote the first scene of the first draft. In fact, i didn't even know I was writing the first scene of a first draft of anything!

I had been leading a creative writing class and chose (unusually) to do the exercise myself. What came out, to my surprise, is the tale of an odd-looking man in an even odder-looking coach that is pulled by two odd-colored horses. Somehow, for some unknown reason, I stuck with it, and a year later (almost to the day), I had completed my first draft of a novel I never knew I had in me.

- Mark David Gerson
http://themoonquest.com

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) WTG Mark---I started writing Dead On Arrival based on a dream I had I handed it to a friend to look at---Loved her reaction--STRAP YOUR ASS TO THE CHAIR AND KEEP WRITING. I took her advice.

message 18: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Mark - I took a creative writing class three semesters ago and am taking advanced fiction writing in the fall. I have written in class, but I haven't branched out yet. I am very afraid that it will be a total dud. How did you get past the fear, anybody?

message 19: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) Hi all,
I mainly get my ideas for the kiddys stories from things that i see then put each event; person; item & colour down on scraps of paper then pick at random. It seems to work so far.

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 10 comments Dear Andi,

The only way to get past the fear is to keep writing through it. Keep at it, Andi. I know you can do it!

Mark David

P.S. Check out my new blog of writing tips and inspiration @ http://thevoiceofyourmuse.com