Delirity discussion

Author C > House of Night - P.C. Cast

Comments (showing 1-50 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (last edited Oct 29, 2011 06:32PM) (new)

Heather T (Horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
With the new HON book coming out I thought you guys might want a place to talk about it. Just remember to let us know which book you're talking about at the beginning of your post.

Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Betrayed (House of Night, #2) by P.C. Cast Chosen (House of Night, #3) by P.C. Cast Untamed (House of Night, #4) by P.C. Cast Hunted (House of Night, #5) by P.C. Cast Tempted (House of Night, #6) by P.C. Cast Burned (House of Night, #7) by P.C. Cast Awakened (House of Night, #8) by P.C. Cast Destined (House of Night Series #9) by P.C. Cast

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments I really like this series and am looking forward to the new book as the last one seemed mostly like filler.

message 3: by Heather (last edited Apr 27, 2010 07:29PM) (new)

I just started Burned. It seriously picks up right where the last one left off. I had to go back and re-read the last chapter of Tempted. I'm trying to take my time with it so I'm trying not to just read straight through.
She's branching off into a different story with the red fledglings. She doesn't necessarily want Zoe to be the focus of all 12 books. It just seems odd when authors branch off like that when they didn't start out their series that way. I get that things morph and there's a need for change, but it forces the reader to readjust and sometimes that doesn't happen as quickly as the author would like. I do better with some series that others, but HON has been harder for me to adjust to for some reason.

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments You would think if she wanted to take the red fledglings in a new way she would spin them off.

message 5: by Heather (new)

She's doing that without creating a new series.
What I find odd about this new book is that she'll put the persons name at the top of a section from their perspective, several times in a row when there hasn't been a perspective shift. It's like: Stark, Stark, Stark, Stark...

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments Interesting. I hope that my library will get the book fast.

message 7: by Heather (new)

I have mixed feelings about Burned. I liked some of it, but I thought that some of it was a little awkward. I'll wait to elaborate until more of you have read it.

message 8: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I should be getting Hunted in the mail any day now.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) I agree with you Heather. Burned is a tad different. I didn't understand the repeating of the names either. It is getting a bit confusing with all this switching from person to person.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Here I was saying I'd wait to elaborate and now I don't remember a lot of it. I just remember it's virtually about the main character going down the rabbit hole.

message 11: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1745 comments I haven't read this series yet. I was thinking of waiting till the series is complete to start.

message 12: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments I still haven't read the newest one, but am #2, so hopefully it will come soon.

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela B I still haven't read any of these

message 14: by Heather (new)

Carrie, I don't know if you'll actually like it or not. I see you getting highly annoyed with the characters. I think you might like the first one and then want to kill characters as the books continue. Let me know if I'm wrong though. She's got 12 books contracted.

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments I have just read Burned and I noticed a lot of what you were talking about Heather. I liked the name thing as so many of the chapters were from different peoples persepcetives, but then within a chapter she would use that same person's name which was over kill.

I missed Zoey as she wasn't around a lot in this book. I do like how Stevie Ray stepped up, but do wish she would bring out the Raven Mocker. Has she learned nothing from Zoey???? It will always come back to bit you in the butt! I also loved the talk between Heath and Stark and the advice he gave Stark.

Overall I did think this book was a lot of filler.

message 16: by Heather (new)

That was a cute moment (Heath/Stark). Heath is based on a student that helped her do a lot of research for her mythology. I think he helped back in the Goddess series days.

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments I loved how Heath kept going on about Zoey crying and being all snotty and warning Stark that he now had to make sure to carry klenex all the time because of it.

message 18: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1745 comments Heather wrote: "Carrie, I don't know if you'll actually like it or not. I see you getting highly annoyed with the characters. I think you might like the first one and then want to kill characters as the books cont..."

Hahaha, you know me so well. That is exactly why I haven't picked up the books yet. I hear that Zoey especially gets quite annoying as the series goes on. I figure someday, if my TBR list gets low or boring, I'll pick up the first one anyway. I like to at least give a book a shot. If I don't care for it I just won't read any more (like The Immortals and so many other series that annoy me, lol)

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments Anyone know if Burned picks up? I am kind of bored at chapter 8.

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments Stacia wrote: "It does, but overall it wasn't one of the better books. I would have preferred the whole book from Stevie Ray's point of view since Zoey was unavailable. There was way too much ping-ponging for my..."

Very true.

message 21: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) I've only read MARKED and truly detested it. I didn't care for the agendas they seemed to be promoting. I have the 2nd thru 5th books as my niece insists I give the series another shot. I probably will.....one of these days!

message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 12, 2010 09:38PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 827 comments Marked bugged me because it felt like the author was trying to bash organized religion over and over, instead of just giving us reason to be interested in vampirism instead (and a nod to wicca with all her "blessed be" type references).

Fortunately, that part sort of dies out after book 1. The writing style doesn't improve much though, so if you detest parentheses, this series will bother you.

For me, the stories are fast reads - not much more than a guilty pleasure. It's not fine literature, but the books are a fun time waster.

message 23: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments Stacia, that is a good description of the series.

message 24: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) The religion bashing was one of the main things that did me in and I'm not even a very religious person. If I got it, I can only imagine how someone who did have very strong beliefs would react to the book. I can't remember a book doing that to me in years, and it's the reason I haven't read any more.

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments I don't think I felt the same about the religion bashing. I felt like it was a christians vs vampires and neither really cared for each other's beliefs. I can understand that.

I was not a fan of Burned. Kind of all over the place with the multiple views. Hopefully the next one will be better.

message 26: by Heather (new)

Ya, the religion thing didn't bother me. I feel like if supernaturals really did exist then there would be some churches, not all, that would go a little crazy. There already are some when it comes to Muslims, homosexuals, etc. I don't remember the issues from the first book, I just remember her mom and stepdad. Just think about the church from True Blood. I have no doubt it could really happen.
If there was something else that you were refering to then it just didn't stand out as memorable upon first reading and I doubt I'll ever go back to reread them.
There are some schools that use book 1 to start of freshmen English since it deals with issues of prejudices and how people perceive one another.

message 27: by Heather (new)

Cast just finished writing her first complete draft of Awakened.

message 28: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments Is that the next one?

message 29: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq Heather wrote: "Cast just finished writing her first complete draft of Awakened."

*excited*

message 30: by Heather (new)

Yep.

message 31: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Oct 01, 2010 01:40PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 827 comments That's actually how I started this series. I was still fairly new to PNR at the time and saw this box set dirt cheap online.

Sometimes I feel like I am harshly unfair in judging HoN. The series is still enjoyable for me, but I almost feel like I have to attach a disclaimer before recommending them to others. These books are very adult in some parts, and very tween-y in others, which can make for a disjointed read some of the time.

But then again, I do call them a guilty pleasure. They're light and fluffy books without a ton of substance, but also lots of fun.

message 32: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I liked the first 2 books in this series, but now they are just repeating all the time. I have read through #5, but to me it seems like it is getting younger and younger.

message 33: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments Stacia wrote: "Totally unrelated : does anyone else think that Erik and Neferet are going to go ahead and team up to try and bring Zoey down?"

That is an interesting theory, I hadn't thought of it, but can totally see it.

message 34: by Heather (new)

From her blog:
"2) NO I WON'T TELL YOU PLOT SPOILERS! Except that I made myself cry twice while I was writing it. And let's just say Neferet = eesh!"

message 35: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments I could see Erik doing that. Kind of got all evil in the end.
I must say I really enjoyed the first few books... not sure what happened, but she lost me.

message 36: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments Maybe I will read that next. I am reading 3 different series now. Ugh.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 2435 comments The Morganville Vampires series is definitely better then these ones. I still can't believed I like the House of Night books, the writing is so cheesy.

Burned got me back into the series with the beauty and the beast love story with Rae and the other thing.

message 38: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments I saw that this morning and thought it looked great!

message 39: by Heather (new)

Much better than the cover goodreads has been using.

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber (AmberPatchAttackslol) i think that house of night is awesome i cant wait to read awakened

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 2435 comments It still amazes me that I can love this series despite it's crappy writing.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 2435 comments Sometimes I feel ashamed to say I like it when people ask me about the series. >_<

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 827 comments I used to be like that, but I think I am slowly getting over it now. I still have embarrassed moments when I put up reviews for a romance with a shirtless guy on the cover, but that's starting to pass too.

...but I do almost hate to admit that I get a little annoyed at people that say : OMG THIS IS THE BEST SERIES EVER!!!

I think I've officially become a book snob. Shoot me.

Sure, these are fun...but best ever? I want to ask them if they've ever read any other books.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 2435 comments I hear you! Glady shall I jion you in the ranks of Book Snob-dom.

message 45: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 89 comments I'm not sure I'd qualify House of Night as the best series ever. But, I've been bitten, Marked, Awakened whatever. I'm addicted. Several times, I've said I'm stopping here I'm not reading the next book but I just can't stop myself.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 2435 comments Once you get into them, there is no way you can stop. It's like my guilty pleasure. ^_-

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 827 comments Oh I'm there with you guys. I will still keep reading for sure. How I'm addicted though, I can't figure out why.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 2435 comments It's the vampires. They're using there mind tricks on us. ^_-

message 49: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2752 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Once you get into them, there is no way you can stop. It's like my guilty pleasure. ^_-"

This describes them perfectly.

message 50: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Shera, I think you're right.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hunted (other topics)
Burned (other topics)
Tempted (other topics)
Betrayed (other topics)
Untamed (other topics)
More...