Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Archived Movie Month Threads > Has anyone ever walked out on a movie??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Sometimes you are sitting there in the theatre and someone stands up and leaves. You know they arent going to the bathroom or getting candy......suddenly they have just got up and stormed out. Sometimes its easy to know why they are walking out, especially if you yourself arent crazy about the movie, but Im more curious about those other times when the movie is pretty good and suddenly he/she/they just get up and storm out the door....such as when the Titanic is slowly sliding down into the ocean; why would anyone leave at this moment?

have you guys ever walked out before the end of a movie? or wish you had?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris | 3 comments why would you.. i mean if the movie is boring for death... i would get out.. oh i just watched prince caspian ( narnia)

message 3: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Ive always been curious about the sort of people who invest so much time watching a movie like Titanic.......and then leave at the most crucial scene...Rose and Jack are about to be plunged into the ocean.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris | 3 comments yeah

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I left 10,000 BC.Absolutly hated it!Why was I there in the first place you may ask? My husband has a talent for picking what are in my opnion awful movies (Ghost Rider another example)but majority rules and the family picked that one.
No worries though,just went down to the bookstore and spent a lovely 45 minutes perusing books :)

Maybe those who leave a movie are sitting next to someone who is unsufferably loud which happens all to frequently.People can be so inconsiderate.

I also know of a few people who absolutely detested Titanic,though I'm not one of them.

message 6: by Manuel (last edited May 28, 2008 12:20PM) (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I remember someone told me all the jokes in the first Wayne's World movie; consequently it was agony trying to stay awake... my head kept leaning forward and I would suddenly jerk it back to wake up........but it started again. I couldnt wait for the movie to finish, but I stuck it out.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I actually fell asleep watching Ghost Rider.Noisy as it was it was just to boring for me.But I stuck it out,it was my hubbies birthday after all,and I kept any negative comments to a minimum :)Who says I don't know how to show my man love!

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris | 3 comments when i was young and i was watching spiderman, i was scared so i closed my eyes and covered my ears! i can't believe i did that!

message 9: by Manuel (last edited May 28, 2008 12:32PM) (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Sherry
It seems your husband has a very thoughtful and loving wife.

Ive had similar situations on dates, Im aching trying not to fall asleep, but she chose the movie. So far I've come close to sleep, but somehow havent actually started snoring......yet.

Chris
Some movies are scary when you are young, part of the fun actually. The movies that made me frightened as a kid now seem pretty silly.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I swear I saw maybe the first few minutes of the Exorcist and the rest was covering my eyes.Was taken to see it on a date at a drive-in(Yes back in the day!)Needless to say he wasn't the man I married!My sweetie would have at least inquired if I would have liked to leave.

Manuel,luckily my hubbie's pretty thoughtful and loving.It's terrible when someone isn't sensitive to someones interests like some of your dates.Chick flicks should be watched with other chicks (in my very humble opinion anyway)I try not to inflict them on my husband.

message 11: by Eloquence (new)

Eloquence (eloquentlysaid) | 60 comments As much as i absolutely love to watch movies and u'd be amazed at how many crappy movies i did enjoy, i walked out of two movies. 1. the negotiator ( i WANTED to stay but the friends i had at that time wanted to SHOP instead) 2. The life aquatic. This i left with my own consent. it was HORRIBLE. Nothing was happening and the colors were giving me a sore eye.

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie The only movie I've walked out on in disgust was Gangs of New York. I know, you're supposed to love that movie or at least respect it. But I found it excruciating and so did my husband (who was only a boyfriend at the time--it was a good sign for us that we have similar taste in movies!).

There are times when I've had so much beverage at the top of the movie that by the 2-hour mark, no matter how exciting it is, I have to rush out to pee. I've remedied that by drinking less during the previews.

When my husband and I saw The Aristocrats, the audience was mostly guys, with maybe two or three couples besides us. A lot of people walked out of that one. By the end of the film, I was the only female left in the theater. I thought the movie was hilarious, but I guess the other ladies didn't like it as much as I did.

message 13: by Holli (new)

Holli I left during Van Helsing......was NOT good at all. I was expecting something so much better and it fell far far short of my expectations!! Now I try to figure out by the previews which are "theater movies" and which are "just wait for the DVD movies" much easier that way!

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) The only movie I ever walked out on was a Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor movie called See No Evil or something like that. It was awful.

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie The one time I walked out of a movie I was a teenager and we went to see The Preacher's Wife. So damn boring and dumb.

message 16: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments The Life Aquatic
would have been a good one to walk out on. I dont remember much of it.........just the expectation of comedy that never arrived, very disappointing.

I used to love "Get Smart" reruns. I remember sometime during my highschool days, they made a movie version called "The Nude Bomb"........so predictable, I kept thinking it would get better, but it never happened....I should have walked out.

message 17: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I was ticked my boyfriend wanted to see Young Guns. I hated it and purposely fell asleep in the theater. However tastes change or I grew up (ha), but now I really like that movie. I don't think I've ever actaully walked out though.

message 18: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I certainly gave some thought to walking out of Cat Woman and some of the folks in the audience did. That would have made a great photo shoot, but it was an awful movie.

The only time I was bothered by people walking out of a movie was during a screening of The Little Drummer Girl in Tel Aviv many years ago. The folks sitting behind me got up and walked out very quickly just before the major scene when the Palestinians wiped out. You can be sure I checked under their seats and mine before deciding to stay. The people sitting behind them moved across the theater as well.

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) Sum of All Fears. It was horrible. *shudders*

Usually I just wait for it to get to the library on DVD anymore.

message 20: by Sherry (last edited May 29, 2008 11:39AM) (new)

Sherry I did have an interesting experience once when I was staying down in North Carolina.

I had gone to see an exorcist kind of movie,can't recall the title,when during a scary moment about 10 or 12 members of the theater audience got up and ran from the theater.Well at first I was startled not realizing why they had left.When I looked back towards the door there were several pairs of eyes peeking around watching.Within moments they sat back down and with each scary scene this would happen again and again with the numbers growing depending on just how scary the scene was.
Well,being from Canada I thought maybe this was just something that happened in American theaters (I was about 15 and this time spent in N.C. was my first taste of the world outside of Canada,and I must say that for the Americans I was spending time with I appeared to be somewhat of an oddity with some of my Canadian ways)
This was not my usual pick of a movie,I get freaked at them myself but having so many members of the audience leaving in such a manner certainly removed any tension I might otherwise have experienced(a fact of which I fully appreciated)

Given the nature of this thread am I to take it that this was unusual behaviour?

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I've never seen this kind of behavior in our movie theatres, even from kids. I guess it's a more diva version of peeking out from underneath one's fingers.

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry It certainly was effective but there was several gentlemen in the crowd as well.This is how I would have liked to respond to the Exorcist but I would have kept on going and that would have been a long walk home!*L*

message 23: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments I have never walked out but there was one film I wish I would have. I cant come up with the name of it but it was one of those under water ones that came out somewhere about 89-90? It was this creature that got around this ship and then came in and started attacking people. One sean has a man suspended in one of those deep water suits ( he had just been pulled up) and everyone knowing just how important it was that they got him in quickly. Well the creature came up and bit the lower half of him off with his girl friend standing right there. The rest of him fell into the water shortly after. I guess my date thought it was good or something. I was so mad and so offended. When I am taken on a date I would like to offer my imput on the film choice not just be taken to it and expected to watch.

There are a few movies I could not stand to watch even when we had rented them. I found Napolian Dynamite? Just to painful to watch. I saw the first 20 min then went to my room to read a book. My husband ( not the guy above)just sat there and laughed during the whole movie.

Sherry I have never seen a mass exodus in any movie I have ever been too.

message 24: by Cathy Berry (new)

Cathy Berry (berrygirl55) | 30 comments I've only walked out of 1 movie.Can't remember the name,but it was something awful with Brooke Shields in a desert.

Have fallen asleep in lots of movies.It's not always a reflection of the movie (after 12 hours at work maybe going to the movies is not the wise choice).

The strangest walkout I've seen is a couple that walked out of Schiendler's List.Unless you got sick why would you walk out of Schiendler's List?

message 25: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I also remember people walking out on Schindler's List. I remember thinking....
A) Perhaps they are Jewish or had family members die in the holocaust.
B) They are squeemish about the nudity/violence/gas chambers.
C) They dont believe the holocaust ever happened.

I was also creeped out by people who got up and then returned with popcorn/candy

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) I'm not sure why, but my husband and I went to see Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Probably thought it would be funny, something my husband is into (I prefer either action or horror flicks). We were about 10 minutes in and had enough so we got up and left, but once we were in the hallway we discussed how much money we had just spent and decided to go back in. After another few minutes we left again and this time there was no looking back.

message 27: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Tedesco (sylviatedesco) | 12 comments The Seinfeld show had a segment on Jerry's family finding out that he had been seen "making out" with a girlfriend during the film and were angry and insulted. Incidentally, "Seinfeld" remains our favorite TV show of all time -- they dealt with subjects no one else has dared touch with humor, love and understanding.

message 28: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Tedesco (sylviatedesco) | 12 comments The only movie we've walked out on in recent years was "Three Kings". My husband would have stayed, but I was unprepared for the ugly, raw violence. When we got to a part that showed a cartoon version of a bullet going through a cow I just had to leave.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael (fatmangoboom) | 4 comments Natural Born Killers.... Horrible movie...

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurahogan) Napoleon Dynamite is one of those love it or hate it things. I think it's hilarious. I have a Napoleon Dynamite talking keychain.

I've walked out of four movies that I paid to see:

1) The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
2) Crash (the Cronenberg version, not the Oscar-winning one)
3) Kiss of the Dragon
4) Sin City

After leaving "The Cook, the Thief..." I asked for my money back, and they actually gave it to me.

There would have been a fifth: Moulin Rouge, which is the single worst movie I've ever paid money to see. The sole reason I didn't walk out was that I was with a friend who was enraptured. God, how I hate that goddamned movie.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca van Doren | 38 comments Only Nickelodeon years ago. Came VERY close with The Phantom Menace though. It was so awful, but I kept hoping it would get better. It didn't.

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca van Doren | 38 comments Also have to mention that I LOVED both Moulin Rouge and Sin City. No accounting for taste, I guess.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurahogan) Well, but what did you think of Napoleon Dynamite?

message 34: by Gail (new)

Gail D.C. | 228 comments I used to work at a movie thearter and our policy was if anyone one walked out in the first 20 min (I think it was 20 min) and asked for a refund we gave it to them. If you do leave a movie I would check the policy of the theater. You just might get your money back. ;)

message 35: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments there are several movies I should have walked out on

Dumb and Dumber....a waist of money along with 90 minutes of my time

message 36: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments I loved The Three Kings... very clever, smart, realistic... one of my favs. I also appreciated Natural Born Killers -- not an easy watch, but very interesting. I did want to leave during Trainspotting as I just found it to be a waste of my time, silly and disgusting, but I did stay. Some of my friends loved that movie but I thought it was just not for me.

message 37: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I hated Natural Born Killers the first time I saw it, then I watched it again and I thought it was better. I don't know--sometimes I'm just that way.
I didn't like Trainspotting. I too thought it was basically just gross.

I love Jim Carey- I can recite lines the Ventura movies, Mask, Liar Liar, etc. Dumb and Dumber is a CLASSIC! But I've found you either love or hate Jim Carey.

I think we've watched Napoleon Dynamite 10 times. Maybe I am really still 15 yrs old inside.

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie Possible Spoilers:

I like Napoleon Dynamite, it is funny but sad at the same time. If you really think about it, Napoleon has a sad life. His brother can never get over his high school dreams, and buys a time machine! HA! Funny but sad. I think there is a moral to the story. But it is still hilarious. I am torn between emotions.

message 39: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 28 comments When I was in college, they used to show free movies on Monday nights and there were some real clunkers that I remember walking out on. But when I've paid my money, I stay the course.

Even with DVDs, I will watch to the end, although there was some god-awful dvd on the history of the American Punk Rock scene in the 1970s that we hit the eject button.

These are the films that I believe I probably should have walked out of: "Natural Born Killers," "The Departed," and "The Last King of Scotland." They were all depressing movies and featured characters that you wouldn't want to be in the same room with.

message 40: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I suppose if the movies were free, I would walk out on some of them. I hate to waste money, so I try to be picky about the movies I see in the theatre or rent.

These days going to the movies is getting kind of expensive. You need to pay for the gas in your car, then dinner (optional) and then tickets and possibly a snack. If you are on a date your expense is doubled. You figure, I spent the money, Im going to stay here and get my money's worth...even if you arent crazy about the movie.

message 41: by Angie (new)

Angie I agree about staying for a movie because they are so expensive. I go to the IMAX whenever a movie is playing there and THAT is expensive and there is no way I am walking out of there.

message 42: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca van Doren | 38 comments I thought Napoleon Dynamite was okay. I didn't really see it as warranting the kind of following it got. Didn't hate it, but wouldn't watch it again.

Given the cost of movies now and my limited time I don't go see a movie that looks bad or is getting poor reviews (like, say, Mad Money, or Fool's Gold, or Failure to Launch). People tell me I like every movie I see but that's because I'm careful about what I choose.

message 43: by Christy (new)

Christy (bluecaffeine) | 11 comments I wish I had walked out on The Strangers and Blueberry Nights, or whatever the heck that Norah Jones movie was called. Both were horrendous.

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) I typically only go to the theater to see the latest horror movie or if my husband is dragging me there to see something against my will. We have very different tastes in film. We do both like historical epics and war movies, so we try to see those together. It's hard with the kids, so generally we take turns going alone to see what we want. I have already bought my tickets to see The Happening next Friday. I do enjoy fantasy as well and those movies, such as LOTR and Harry Potter, I go see with my oldest son.

I end up seeing a lot of children's movies and I would have loved to have walked out of Horton Hears a Who, The Tigger Movie, Spiderwick, just to name a few.

message 45: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) Tera, that made me laugh that you'd love to walk out on those children's movies--me too. Ah, what we do for our children.

The Happening looks cool, my husband and I going to see it next weekend.

message 46: by Holli (new)

Holli Christy~~~~were both of those movies that bad?? i was thinking about seeing them but you aren't the first to say they sucked. What made you not like them?

message 47: by Sherry (new)

Sherry In the interest of fairness I end up seeing a fair amount of movies that I would never choose.My husband has an absolute talent at picking really awful movies(well they're not terrible to him)we try to be fair in who's turn it is to pick because our tastes are sooo different,but I think I'm a lot more considerate then he :)It's great when we're on the same page but not always possible.One of the worst was Ghost Rider.Totally not my kind of movie but it was his birthday so his choice.
Luckily I can see the movies I really love with my kids who tend to share my tastes.

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol | 16 comments When I was in my early 20s, I walked out of 'Reds' - I thought the characters were "slumming" and they annoyed the heck out of me. I have seen in again, and enjoyed it a lot more.

Around the same time, I walked out of "Berlin Alexanderplatz" - even though I love/d a lot of Fassbinder, again I couldn't relate to many of the characters (thought them very selfish, self-serving) so after about 4 hours I left. I would like to see this again, though (growing older, I have a lot more patience!)

Trying to think if I have walked out of any others *think think think*....

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 50 comments I walked out on "Silence of the Lambs." Shudder!! It is the only movie that I've ever walked out on and it was after holding my hands over my eyes for about 1/2 hour then I was forced to leave and just pace the lobby until my friend stayed to watch the end. Yikes!

message 50: by Khulood (new)

Khulood The only movie I ever walked out from was "Syriana".

« previous 1 3