Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Amanda's 50 in 2010

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I joined a little late but I set myself to the challenge in January. :)

Jan 1-Apr 14
1. Breathless by Dean Koontz
2. A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris
3. A Short History of Women by Kate Walbert
4. End the Fed by Ron Paul
5. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
6. The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell
7. Sherlock Holmes Reader by AC Doyle
8. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
9. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
10. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
11. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
12. The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath by Ronald Hayman
13. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
14. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
15. Overtreated: Why Too Much Medicine is Making Us Sicker and Poorer by Shannon Brownlee
16. Riding the Rap by Elmore Leonard
17. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
18. The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation by Elizabeth Berg
19. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

message 2: by Marie-vicky (last edited Apr 15, 2010 05:10AM) (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 30 comments How Anna

Already 19 I feel miserable.In tour list thre some really good books.Some of them I can understand its hard to put it down.I currently reading [book:Shutter Island.I don't have to say much I'm only at page 21...I haven't see the movie.but saw some previews Now I see the characters like in the previews.I'm not happy about that.....What are you reading now?

message 3: by Carol (last edited Apr 15, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Amanda, Re #18...I offered a comment in reply to Evanston Public Library's review of The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation by Elizabeth Berg:

"Thank you for your review, Barbara. I love the question in the Goodreads review, "What would you do...?" Just thinking about what I would do about, in, toward, in spite of...or to escape from...has me thinking about my own life, and what I could change if I dared. I immediately marked this as a To Be Read."

So, thank you Amanda, and I hope you got a lot out of the stories...reading the reviews I think I'm really gonna like this one (I relate to the 'older crowd').

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Apr 20, 2010 07:58AM) (new)

Amanda Thank you for your comments...

I liked The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation and actually recommended it to my book club. We found that a book of short stories is a bit difficult to discuss all at once, but we did like it.

Right now I'm working on The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage. So far it's an interesting story but the author's writing is not to my taste. It was recommended by a friend who's going to get an earful about it. :)

I'm also finishing up Comeback America by David Walker. Also, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley is finally in at the library so I'll be picking that up tonight. I loved The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and have been waiting eagerly for Flavia DeLuce #2. :)

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Amanda, that kind of piqued my interest, too. I mean, having the protagonist be a 12-year-old girl. I envision having memories play in my mind of when I was 12 if I were to read about Flavia.

I have to say, as a fan of the concept of trying to figure out what a book is like from it's title, I'm trying to get the connection of a hangman's bag (whatever that is) and weed, especially a stringy one that would literally (I assume) go through loops around a 'hangman's bag' which, assuming again, is a kind of pouch...I suppose I would find out if I read the book, duh!

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Jun 22, 2010 09:32PM) (new)

Amanda April 15-June 22

Oops, I accidentally deleted part of my list!

20. The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley
21. The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage
22. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
23. Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
24. Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
25. Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich
26. Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler
27. The Beautiful Cigar Girl: Mary Rogers, Edgar Allan Poe, and the Invention of Murder by Daniel Stashower
28. Birthright: The True Story of the Kidnapping of Jemmy Annesley by A. Roger Ekirch.
29. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda June 22-July 13

Been slowing down... must pick up the pace to stay on track!!

30. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
31. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster
32. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
33. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
34. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Should these YA books count? Probably not. But I did read 'em.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Up next:

It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather B. Armstrong, The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan, Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori Brafman and The Boy on the Bus: A Novel by Deborah Schupack. Also My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira and The Birth House by Ami McKay for bookclub are coming up, and anxiously awaiting my turn with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest from the library.

message 9: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments I don't think Memoirs of a Geisha, The Forgotten Garden, and The Lost Symbol are YA books.

Rose

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda ...but The Phantom Tollbooth and A Wrinkle in Time are.

message 11: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments Oh--I agree. I'd thought you'd meant all the books you listed were.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Nope! Just struggling with whether or not to add them!

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments Well, I did read A Wrinkle in Time and I would certainly count that!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda July 28-Aug 26

40. The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
41. The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti
42. Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan
43. The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde
44. Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

almost done!

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Aug 27-Sept 8

45. A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King
46. The Birth House by Ami McKay
47. Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston
48. My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira

Two more to go!! :)

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Sept 8-21

49. Faithful Place by Tana French
50. A Letter of Mary by Laurie R. King

DOONE!! Of course, I'll keep reading and keeping track. I've started #51 already! :)

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Congrats Amanda!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

What did you think of the Life of Pi? It's on my "to-read" list, but I'm not so sure.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda life of pi was great--one of the best on this list. beatrice & virgil was not as good but i think still worth a read.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

:) Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to check it out.