You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

Planet Earth > Alien Life

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Is there life beyond Earth?

Maybe it is my love for comic books Or my complete Stargate collection but how can life not exist on other planets? The Universe is (well) really big.

message 2: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 479 comments Mod
The Bible mentions nothing about life beyond Earth. I seriously doubt that there is alien life, or at least serious alien life. I think the most we'll discover will be a few plant species.

message 3: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

True, true. You never know...but I doubt it. I think it would have been mentioned somewhere in the Bible about there being any sort of life on another planet, but maybe not.

message 4: by Girl4beluga (last edited Apr 14, 2010 03:14PM) (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible doesn't mention any of these because at the time it was written none of these had been discovered. Stop using the Bible as a science and history book.

message 5: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (last edited Apr 14, 2010 03:16PM) (new)

Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible doesn't mention any of these because at the time it was written none of these had ..."

No, the Bible didn't mention these things. But Genesis says, essentially, that God created life ONLY on planet Earth. I never said it was correct, I only said that I doubted it.

So please take the time to fully read and comprehend my comments and respond appropriately.

:)

message 6: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible doesn't mention any of these because at the time it was writte..."

The Bible isn't my proof of God.

message 7: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible doesn't mention any of these because at the ti..."

Did I ever say that it was?

message 8: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible doesn't mention any of these because at the time it was writte..."

Genesis also said that there was a garden somewhere with a tree in the middle of it. With a talking snake. O how I love fairy tales.Men without knowledge of the planets and stars write a creation story that doesn't include these things that are now scientifically proven. Why do you think? Because there was no knowledge at the time so why would they assume that there was other life. I think at that time people still thought the Earth was the center of the Universe.

message 9: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible doesn't mention any of these because at t..."

Fairy Tales. Huh.

Answer a question for me, Girl4Beluga:

WHAT. RELIGION. ARE. YOU.

message 10: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible doesn't mention any o..."

Christian. Just think that the Genisis-es are stories pasted down through the generations.

message 11: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible doesn't mention any of the..."

Your personal experiences that give you a definite answer for a brief second that proves to you that God exists.

message 12: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (last edited Apr 14, 2010 03:32PM) (new)

Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? The Bible ..."

If you believe the Bible is a fairy tale, how can you possible claim to be a follower of Jesus Christ?

I smell a fraud.

message 13: by Girl4beluga (last edited Apr 14, 2010 03:35PM) (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe..."

No just the creation story is just that a story. I am also pretty sure that evolution follows the order of one of the Genesis stories.

message 14: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black hole..."

So you think that the beginning of the Bible is a lie? Talk about straddling the fence.

message 15: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth..."

Not a lie, a story based on the knowledge at the time, influenced by God, and very important.

message 16: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, t..."

Alright, G4B. If you insist.

message 17: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black holes? But do you believe in them? ..."

The stories were written a long time ago when no working knowledge of outer space (or much else) existed. The stories were therefor based on teachings there parents told them. I think there was a separation of a country into two places (or something like that) and then when they got back together there stories became Genesis 1 and 2. The stories offer us insight to what they thought would happen. The stories are written by man and maybe have been infused with the writers ideas. The probability of everyone thinking we were the only life giving planet makes sense if the writers lived way back when. I doubt that aliens don't exist because of how vast we know the Universe to be.

message 18: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Does the Bible mention planets, the curve of the Earth, galaxy, black..."

What do you mean?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Girl4beluga wrote: "Is there life beyond Earth?

Maybe it is my love for comic books Or my complete Stargate collection but how can life not exist on other planets? The Universe is (well) really big."

I think alien life does exist, anything can happen. How useless would space be if there was millions and millions of galaxies but only 1 planet with life?

message 20: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Schneeb wrote: "I asked you where you got your proof of God from because you said that you didn't get it from the Bible.

And I believe you responded with

"Your personal experiences that give you a definite..."

The proof that God exists in your life. Like the proof that your parents love you isn't because it is written somewhere it is because you see there actions that show you they love you.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 14, 2010 04:06PM) (new)

Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "I asked you where you got your proof of God from because you said that you didn't get it from the Bible.

"Your personal ..."

i think she is trying to say, you don't have to read it in a book to know, you just feel it...you just know. Maybe thats not what she is trying to get across, but that's how i know.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah...

message 23: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Schneeb wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Schneeb wrote: "I asked you where you got your proof of God from because you said that you didn't get it from the Bible.

"Your personal ..."

I have had a few experiences in which God has shown himself to me.

message 24: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments I don't know......they could be out there.

message 25: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

*Maria*the cat spirit* wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "Is there life beyond Earth?

Maybe it is my love for comic books Or my complete Stargate collection but how can life not exist on other planets? The Universe is (well) real..."

* gasp * Space is never useless! If you simply take the time to think about the millions of stars, hundreds of galaxies, complex nebulas, asteroids, black holes. There a whole infinite land of infinite possibilies out there. The lack of population doesn't take away its worth. If anything, I think it's even more valuable without more humans or other alien life forms. Matter of fact, here are some pictures.

http://www.joebartz.com/Eye_of_God_8x...

http://ayazizah.files.wordpress.com/2...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/0...

If those aren't beautiful I don't know what is.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

to you.

message 27: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments "Would you mind talking about these experiences?"

When I was 7 I found my calling in life. It is the strangest thing when you are doing something that you are so passionate about, It really changes you.

I have had two grandparents die in my house. I even sleep in the one my grandmother pasted in. I don't know how to explain it. To see a lifeless body that use to have a personality and felt love and hate. It is just really weird.

There's more but these are the easiest to explain.

message 28: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

*Maria*the cat spirit* wrote: "to you."

Okay, yeah, to me. But you don't find in interesting how simple things like plasma, helium, dust, and hydrogen can form a beautiful display of colors and shapes? It's somehow very complex and very simple all at once, and it amazes me. I've never had much of a passion for science, but astrology has always captured my attention. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's beautiful. Outer space isn't boring without alien life -- it's beautiful.
Surely I can't be the only one who feels that way.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I do think its beautiful. But i also think there must be a purpose for so much space.

message 30: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (last edited Apr 15, 2010 05:23PM) (new)

Girl4beluga wrote: ""Would you mind talking about these experiences?"

When I was 7 I found my calling in life. It is the strangest thing when you are doing something that you are so passionate about, It really change..."

Sorry for your loss. My grandparents died before I was born. I must have been horrible to have them suddenly taken from you.

message 31: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Poindex†εrr. wrote: "*Maria*the cat spirit* wrote: "to you."

Okay, yeah, to me. But you don't find in interesting how simple things like plasma, helium, dust, and hydrogen can form a beautiful display of colors and ..."

Well considering there is a high possibility of aliens somewhere. I think it makes it even more beautiful. I mean look at the Mayan drawing of what they consider gods to the pictures of alien crafts. My family actually have our own pictures of them.

message 32: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

*Maria*the cat spirit* wrote: "I do think its beautiful. But i also think there must be a purpose for so much space."

Maybe you're right. Maybe somewhere someone is on an alien version of our Goodreads, discussing this matter at this very moment. (I'm not mocking you, by the way.)
The point is, we never know what lies out there -- there are TONS of galaxies. I think we all agree on that.

message 33: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: ""Would you mind talking about these experiences?"

When I was 7 I found my calling in life. It is the strangest thing when you are doing something that you are so passionate a..."

No. We had them in the house for a reason. To die (happy), and after they pasted we go out and celebrate. Not really a sad experience in my book. I am still waiting to mourn my grandmother though, and she died on my birthday. Well I think she did, she didn't medically die until the next day. Also she died right after my dad read Revelations to her. So I think she chose her time.

message 34: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Poindex†εrr. wrote: "*Maria*the cat spirit* wrote: "I do think its beautiful. But i also think there must be a purpose for so much space."

Maybe you're right. Maybe somewhere someone is on an alien version of our Go..."

Right I mean if you look at the Universe it really puts into perspective that we are really nothing. So small and insignificant not even a speck on the Universal scale. Yet we live inside ourselves.

Also if the Universe is mostly made up off nothing. Then does that make us mostly nothing? (Sounds like a hitchhiker thing :))

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) I had this same discussion with a very religious friend of mine one time. I'll say the same thing here that I said to her. I think it's worth a thought.

God created all things, ground, water, air, plants, insects, animals and man (did I forget anything?). Taken all together, it shows that God has an incredible imagination, is fabulously creative - however you want to put it - you get the picture. So, if he is so imaginative and creative, why would he stop at only one planet? Why would he stop at only a narrow livable parameter? Why would he stop at only the forms we are familiar with? And on and on.

Life is out there. The very fact that this planet contains such an abundance, is proof.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Poindex†εrr. wrote: "*Maria*the cat spirit* wrote: "I do think its beautiful. But i also think there must be a purpose for so much space."

Maybe you're right. Maybe somewhere someone is on an alien version of our Go..."

lol, very true

message 37: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Anna wrote: "I had this same discussion with a very religious friend of mine one time. I'll say the same thing here that I said to her. I think it's worth a thought.

God created all things, ground, water, ai..."

My mother thinks we are God's science experiment.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh...great...? But it could very well be...

message 39: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments kinda goofy though

message 40: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Sounds good to me. ha

message 41: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 329 comments i've never heard of alien life in the bible, but the bible isn't a science book and yes i believe there are different galaxies beyond earth and perhaps there are alien life there. i think it's rather likely.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

well muslims belive god created jinns. which i guess are kind of like aliens

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Pea (amandapanda808) | 90 comments Alien life does exsist hey theres my brother lol

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

lol

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Pea (amandapanda808) | 90 comments Iknow right

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

hehe. I have two older brothers- out of this world.

message 47: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Pea (amandapanda808) | 90 comments LOL but when they say we come in peace you know for sure

message 48: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 329 comments i have one younger brother and he is soooooo in THIS world. I'M the alien. Plus i'm PROUD of it!!!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

HAHAHA!!! nice 1

message 50: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Woohoo

« previous 1 3