Haruki Murakami fans discussion

Favorite quote?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly W (mirume) | 17 comments Mod
Let's post our favorite quotes (or excerpts, if you want) out of any Murakami writing. The challenge is to try to narrow it down to one quote per post. :)

This one was perfect for me:

"A story is not something of this world. A real story requires a kind of magical baptism to link the world on this side with the world on the other side." -Sputnik Sweetheart

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 3 comments "She waited for the train to pass. Then she said, ‘I sometimes think that people’s hearts are like deep wells. Nobody knows what’s at the bottom. All you can do is imagine by what comes floating to the surface every once in a while.’"
— Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

message 3: by Bhpurswell (new)

Bhpurswell Might be slightly paraphrased, as I'm going off of memory, but my favorite is:

"If you read what everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." - Norwegian Wood

message 4: by Jesse (last edited May 29, 2008 07:43PM) (new)

Jesse (walden) | 5 comments ”I really like you, Midori. A lot.

How much is a lot?

'Like a spring bear,' I said.

'A spring bear?' Midori looked up again. 'What’s that all about? A spring bear.'

'You’re walking through a field all by yourself one day in spring, and this sweet little bear cub with velvet fur and shiny little eyes comes walking along. And he says to you, ‘Hi, there, little lady. Want to tumble with me?’ So you and the bear cub spend the whole day in each other’s arms, tumbling down this clover-covered hill. Nice, huh?'” - Norwegian Wood

P.S. if anyone wants to tumble down a clover-covered hill sometime... sigh.

message 5: by Hertzan (last edited Jun 01, 2008 01:11PM) (new)

Hertzan Chimera (hertzanchimera) YES, THAT'S IT, that's what I should have said to her. from Haruki Murakami's "On Seeing The 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful Morning" short story.

...there's so much of a ubiquitous sense of loss in this last line and it's a line that permeates all Murakami's writing. It's especially relevant to the end of the HARDBOILED/WORLD double-novel.

message 6: by silchi (new)

silchi | 1 comments "This person, this self, this me, finally, was made somewhere else. Everything had come from somewhere else, and it would all go somewhere else. I was nothing but a pathway for the person known as me." (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle)