What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Adult Fiction:Historical Romance/red dress on cover/heroine has 2 different colored eyes/ She is his steward [s]

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fullfaun (new)

Fullfaun | 74 comments I remember she has a red dress made that has a slit in it. It is featured on the cover of the paperback.
I don't know if it is Regency, but women had to wear long dresses at the balls. She has 2 different colored eyes and is a steward (running his estate) while he was off doing something (war, traveling?).

She is hiding from a cousin who is trying to force her into marriage and I think she has as much money as him.

He (hero) comes back home to take the reins of his family's estate and lands. And meet with his steward that has been running everything while he has been away.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ThisIsThatVeryMab) | 72 comments Are you thinking of The Rake (originally released as The Rake and the Reformer) by Mary Jo Putney?

Here are two descriptions from FictionDB.com:

"THE RAKE

It was predicted that Reginald Davenport, disinherited and disgraced, would come to a violent end. But fate has given him one final chance to redeem himself, by taking his place as the rightful master of Strickland, his lost ancestral estate. Davenport knows his way around women -- yet nothing prepares him for his shocking encounter with Lady Alys Weston.

THE REFORMER

Masquerading as a man in order to obtain a position as estate manager of Strickland, Alys fled a world filled with mistrust and betrayal. She finished with men -- yet how could she have predicted that Strickland's restored owner would awaken a passion more powerful than anything she had ever known? A passion that will doom or save them both... if only they can overcome their pasts and dare to believe in the wondrous power of love..."

"PASSION'S PERILOUS PROGRESS

Beautiful Alys Weston had found a refuge from heartbreak in a most unlikely post. Fleeing a treacherous suitor, she had become manager of an isolated country estate by masquerading by mail as a man.

But now her masquerade was over. The estate had a new master, whom she had to meet face-to-face. Even worse, that master was the notorious Reginald Davenport, the handsomest rake in the Ton, for whom no rule was sacred and with whom no woman was safe.

Alys had vowed never to trust a man again, and Davenport's lurid reputation should have made that easy. But how could Alys have imagined, when she set out to defeat his seductive designs, that she would not be able to trust herself...?"

Hope these are it, but if they're not I'd highly recommend! Good luck!

message 3: by Fullfaun (new)

Fullfaun | 74 comments This might be it. Checking for the book and will let you know. Thanks!
Lindsey wrote: "Are you thinking of The Rake (originally released as The Rake and the Reformer) by Mary Jo Putney?

Here are two descriptions from FictionDB.com:

"TH..."

message 4: by Fullfaun (new)

Fullfaun | 74 comments That is the book! Thank you. You got it in one shot!. Moving this to SOLVED!

message 5: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ThisIsThatVeryMab) | 72 comments Glad I could help! : )

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Rake (other topics)
The Rake and the Reformer (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Jo Putney (other topics)