Clean Reads discussion

Funny

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mejojac) | 50 comments I've read some deeper, darker books lately and now I want something that will just make me laugh. The problem I'm running into is that people tend to go for the crude joke rather than using real humor. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, fun read?

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel (melmccurdy) The funniest book I've read in recent memory is Jen Lancaster's Bitter is the New Black. Roll on the floor funny. HOWEVER, she has a potty mouth, so it defintely is NOT a clean read.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (whitepicketfence) | 100 comments If you are looking for something light,funny and innocent, you might consider venturing over to the JV section of your library or bookstore. Every so often, I will read aloud "Summer of the Monkeys" to my family on vacation or just during those lazy summer days and I never fail to get the giggles. It is pretty young fare, but sometimes being a child again is refreshing.

I really enjoyed Wednesday Wars. It was more fun than funny, but it might give you that happy feeling you are searching for.

I have two sisters who loved "A Long Way from Chicago" and thought it was hilarious. It is also JV lit. I'll admit it wasn't my style and I didn't find it very appealing, but you might.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) Melissa -- I'm not a camper, but Pat McManus' books are sidesplittingly hilarious. Also, Theresa Bloomingdale's I Should have Seen it Coming when the Rabbit Died .... priceless! It's the book I reach for when I think I'm going to explode at my own little ones. (And I've liked it since high school .... long before I had kiddos!)

However, these are books probably best not read when your family is trying to sleep. It doesn't end well.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terricb) | 40 comments Melissa - I really enjoyed "Marley and Me". If you like animal antics, you might get a kick out of this one, and it is a touching, light story besides.

My husband has been laughing over "Dave Barry Does Japan" - he hasn't told me how clean it is, but generally he's a clean reader, and he didn't hesitate when I mentioned that I might recommend it for my book club.

I agree that "A Long Way from Chicago" is delightful, and though it didn't give me belly laughs, I certainly did chuckle over it. "A Year Down Yonder," also by Richard Peck, was just as fun.

I recently read "The Blue Castle" by LM Montgomery with my book club, and it was pretty funny in places.

"Enslaved by Ducks" by Bob Tarte is also pretty funny. It is another animal antics book.

"84, Charing Cross Road" is a classic that I just really took delight in - I know it has some pathos, but the writer is really very funny in her letters.

Hope this helps you out!

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele Have you heard of "A Girl Called Zippy"? It is by Haven Kimmel. It is a memoir of sorts about her life growing up in a small town in Indiana. It has some pretty funny moments. (like shake the bed when you are reading before sleep.) There is some mild language, mostly her dad. (My dad swore when I was a child, so that is less offensive to me than the f-word.)
Also, "I Capture the Castle" is a delightful read. It is by Dodie Smith.

message 7: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments if you haven't read the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society yet, it's quite light and delightful. a prairie home companion meets the english channel.

message 8: by Caitlynn (new)

Caitlynn | 3 comments Elizabeth Peter's "Crocodile on the Sandbank" had me up half the night and constantly erupting with laughter. It's now definitely one of my all time favorite books!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) Caitlynn -- I'm rereading that series right now! I love the Amelia Peabody series!

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace (gbarnes123) | 9 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Melissa -- I'm not a camper, but Pat McManus' books are sidesplittingly hilarious. Also, Theresa Bloomingdale's I Should have Seen it Coming when the Rabbit Died .... priceless! It's the book I r..."

I read all the Patrick McManus' books when I was younger and we were generally camping while reading them. I'm also from Idaho (so is Mr. McManus) and the geography was familiar. His humor is dry and put your pillow in your mouth funny. His earlier books are the funnier ones.

message 11: by Grace (new)

Grace (gbarnes123) | 9 comments Terri wrote: "Melissa - I really enjoyed "Marley and Me". If you like animal antics, you might get a kick out of this one, and it is a touching, light story besides.

My husband has been laughing over "Dave ..."

I laughed out loud reading Marley and Me, which I haven't done with a book in a long time. I haven't read Dave Barry in a while. Maybe I will again.

message 12: by Kari (new)

Kari | 2 comments I enjoyed The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less. A true story.told with a light and fun air!

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin | 1 comments You might try A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban. It says it's written for 8-12 year olds (the main character turns 11 during the story), but I loved it. I annoyed my roommate by how much I was laughing, and I'm planning on buying a copy of the book so I can have it on hand when I'm having a bad day.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mejojac) | 50 comments Thank you for all your suggestions! I just finished "Wednesday Wars" and really enjoyed it! There were a few 'laugh out loud' moments and I LOVED the ending! Now, off to try out some of your other fantastic recommendations!