Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

OFF Topic > Dark Hills to Westward

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 179 comments I have just ordered this from our library, so will be reading that shortly. I have also borrowed She Walks These Hills, so that is one for reading too. I have read Follow the River too, which was very good and emotive.

message 2: by Barbara (last edited May 11, 2010 12:34AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2191 comments There is a tradition here too, in Australia, of white women being captured or otherwise joining up with Aboriginal people. Eliza Fraser was the most famous.
I think, as in the native American/pioneer woman tales, there are very murky areas regarding whether these were all about "savages' capturing and illtreating white people, or actually saving them from death by exposure. And the -to the native peoples - normal cultural customs being experienced as barbaric and terrifying by the pioneers

message 3: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 185 comments That is a good point Barbara. I think it's absolutely plausible that perception played a big part in how these happenings were related to the world.

message 4: by MaryC (last edited May 13, 2010 04:51PM) (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments Barbara just wrote, "I think, as in the native American/pioneer woman tales, there are very murky areas regarding whether these were all about 'savages' capturing and illtreating white people, or actually saving them from death by exposure. And the -to the native peoples - normal cultural customs being experienced as barbaric and terrifying by the pioneers."

I hadn't thought of this until now, but in Jean Auel's The Shelters of Stone, a minor character is a Cro-Magnon woman who was rescued (don't remember from what) by Neanderthals and lived with them for some time, treated just as Neanderthal women (as Ms. Auel envisions them) were treated. (One result was that she came home with a rather strange-looking baby.)

message 5: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 704 comments Speaking of "off topic," I don't know how to get from one thread to another! All I can do is read and respond to the comments that arrive in my mailbox, but I have some thoughts about NL in relation other writers tht I'd like to post. Is there a list of NL threads somewhere? If there is, how do I access it?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "Speaking of "off topic," I don't know how to get from one thread to another! All I can do is read and respond to the comments that arrive in my mailbox, but I have some thoughts about NL in relati..."

Hi Mary, I sometimes have that problem too. It sure helps to have a link. Please vote on listopia for Norah Lofts, thanks,
Alice

message 7: by Werner (new)

Werner | 690 comments Mary, just as an added clarification to Peggy's post, all of the threads are accessible from the homepage, but not all of them immediately show up there (because of the sheer number of them) --just the first few of each folder. But each folder has a small, fine-print "see all" link next to it that you can click to see a list of every one of the topics in it. Also, in the menu at the top right (as you face the screen) of the homepage, there's a link for "discussions" that lists all of them. Hope this helps!