Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
What did you think of the book? If you didnt like it, why? Which characters did you love/hate. etc etc...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

angel is the creepest, most destirbed little mutant i hav ever known! Fang and Dylan are just crazy about Max and i cant wait to see what happens about that love triangle =D

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Really the mangas were better than the actual books. Better get my hands on one of those ;)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

FANG might just distort your view of angel, but I totally agree with Fang and Iggy! ;)

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Iggy is the bomb. ;)

Fang is cool.

Nudge makes me laugh.

Gazzy is just weird.

Max can get annoying sometimes.

Angel is really quite creepy.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm absoulutly terrifide of her. I'm frightened for the next book

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) I didn't like the first book very much D: took me agesssss to read three week actually. I like all the characters but the book was just...blah. Giving the series another try, got the second book hopefully it will be better...

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I personally like the third. I just like the way it's set up, and the stories.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) haha everyone keeps telling me FANG is really good so the whole reason im reading the rest is coze i want to read Fang ;)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "haha everyone keeps telling me FANG is really good so the whole reason im reading the rest is coze i want to read Fang ;)"

Good luck! Angel Is absolutly terrifing ;)

message 11: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Was it better than FINAL WARNING?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I did not like this book at all. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next book, but I'm wary of it. There were three things that irked me about the book:

1. The names. Ugh, Maximum Ride as a name? Really? Gasman? Iggy?!?!

2. The writing style. Between the three page chapters and the narrator who sounded like an adult trying to sound like some cool rebellious teen, I was just annoyed with it.

3. Max. I didn't really like her, honestly.

message 13: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 975 comments Yeah the chapters were definitly a bit short.

message 14: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Cara: If you didn't like Patterson's style of writing here, don't read his other books. I mean, read the Maximum Ride series. But don't branch out from there into the rest of his writing.

I still enjoyed this book when I read it, though. It was one of my favorites for a long time.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

@Taylor: Really? I've hear that some of his other writings are really good.

1. I know, but I can't imagine anyone picking their name as "Iggy" or "Gasman". That was just a little thing, if I had liked the story better it wouldn't annoy me so much.

2. The short chapters kind of reminded me of a badly written fanfiction :p lol. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. Max comes off as snotty to me, not just your average know it all.

3. Max is a Mary-Sue in my opinion. Also, she didn't have a lot of character development.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding really harsh and/or snotty. I'm not, really, and I'm not usually criticizing every little thing in stories.

message 16: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 116 comments Cara wrote: "@Taylor: Really? I've hear that some of his other writings are really good.

1. I know, but I can't imagine anyone picking their name as "Iggy" or "Gasman". That was just a little thing, if I had ..."

AGREED.
Then also a bit in this one but especially later in the series there are lots of plot holes and general confusion. Such as times where Patterson wrote himself into a corner and uses a stupid way to get out of it.
My whole thoughts on the first Maximum Ride is that it is an interesting story idea, but just has lots of problems. Some very annoying problems.

message 17: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments @Cara: I've only ever read one of Patterson's other books. I supposed I should rephrase my previous statement and say, "Don't branch out and try his historical fiction."

I read his book The Jester last year because my stepsister recommended it to me as good historical fiction. I'm a history geek; some things in historical fiction bother me. Such as the excessive use of modern swear words in a book about the Crusades. Which, for those of you who don't know, began in 1099! I think I would have liked the story a little more were it in a more modern setting, and the ending was pure ridiculousness....

message 18: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Do you like history???

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

@Juliet: Same with me, the idea of it is so cool, but the execution is lacking.

@Taylor: O_o that does sound weird. I like history too, so I like some good historical fiction books. Maybe I'll try some of his other modern fiction books then :)

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments @Cara: It was super irritating to me... And then the ending just made me not like it.

message 21: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments I like historical fiction too. The Dear America series and the Royal Diaries series are some of my favorites. ( :

message 22: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I've read lots of those... Which ones, the heck if I remember... The only one I own is the Dear America: Voyage on the Great Titanic...

message 23: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments That is my favorite one! Or at least in the top three... lol

message 24: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments That was my favorite of the ones I've read.

message 25: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments Totally. I also really like the ones about indians though. Like there is one about a quaker (sp?) girl and her brother that are kidnapped by indians and taken hostage sort of, and its really good too. Can't remember the name of it right now though...

message 26: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments There are a couple historical events that I'm obsessed with learning about... Titanic is one, Pompeii another, and (recently) the French Revolution. I've been obsessed with Titanic and Pompeii ever since I read the Magic Treehouse books back in elementary school.

message 27: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments LOL I have totally read those books too xD!! I have read some on the first two but don't really know anyhting about the last one.

message 28: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Someday I will visit Pompeii, and I will be a very happy history geek when I do. For now, I just go to exhibits and marvel at the frescoes that are in relatively good contition for having been encased in ash for almost 2 milennia...

French Rev and the Napoleonic Era are fascinating... I don't know what grade you're in, but that's usually at least part of what you study in 10th grade history. 2 of my favorite books of all time are French Rev/Napoleonic Era: The Count of Monte Cristo and The Scarlet Pimpernel. Actually, my other favorite book of all time takes place in the same time period, but in England rather than France.

Sorry.... I'm such a geek.....

message 29: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments That would be so cool! Yeah it is amazing.
I am in tenth grade, but homeschooled so we havn't quite gotten there yet.

OHhh, yeah I forgot, I actually have read the Count of Monte Cristo so I am sort of familiar with the war, and I have also seen part of The Scarlet Pimpernel movie, but not enough to understand what exact dates it was.

No!, I love history too! xD

message 30: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments gtg though, ttyl

message 31: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments My history teacher (my favorite teacher in the world) went to Pompeii last summer, and has some incredible pictures. There was one that she took from the main street in Pompeii, looking up at Vesuvius, the same view the citizens of Pompeii would've seen the morning before the eruption.

CoMC is amazing, but it helps to know more about the era before you read it... I tried reading it in 8th grade, and hated it, because I didn't get it. I mean, the beginning centers completely around Napoleon's exile on Elba and then the 100 Days.... And the Scarlet Pimpernel's book is loads better than the movie. I highly recommend it.

Glad I'm not the only history geek round here.... And bye!!! ;)

message 32: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I have, too! I was incredibly jealous... I remember sighing with longing and incredulity when she was telling me about some of the things she had seen.

I cannot wait to be able to travel and actually see the things I learn about. I'm trying to plan a school trip to Rome, Florence, Assisi, Paris, and Giverny for next year, so we can see all this in person.

message 33: by Lindsey (last edited Apr 21, 2010 10:24PM) (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments Taylor wrote: "My history teacher (my favorite teacher in the world) went to Pompeii last summer, and has some incredible pictures. There was one that she took from the main street in Pompeii, looking up at Vesuv..."

That is amazing. That would be so neat to go there!

I did not know anthing about the history when I read it, and got a little confused but straightened everything out eventually (they do a pretty good job explaining the history part). It did take me quite a long time to read, but It was just last year so I had more patience with it :)OK, thanks.

And I only like to read the intresting kind, again since I am homeschooled I don't really 'have' to read anything, I can basically read whatever books I want on history, though I do have a sort of curriculum book that I follw. But I mostly just like to read historical fiction :D

That is so cool, I hope you can get it done!

message 34: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Me too!

CoMC took me a month to read... Granted, it IS over 1000 pages...

message 35: by Sephiroth (last edited Apr 22, 2010 10:58AM) (new)

Sephiroth (Cinderbolt) I loved this book from the first page ever since my bff gave me the first three. I like Max the best (one of the absolute few heroes i've ever actually liked) and Fang second. Angel IS creepy, I agree....

Do we have topics for the other five books in this series?

message 36: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments Taylor wrote: "Me too!

CoMC took me a month to read... Granted, it IS over 1000 pages..."

I know, I'm pretty sure it's close to 1400 pgs. Kinda really long!

I havn't had much time to free read either ):

message 37: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments My copy is 1462...

message 38: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 505 comments Yep, that sounds about right.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished School's out Forever, and I didn't like it a lot better than the first one. Angel scares me O_o

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

i think she scares everyone especially in the newest book

message 41: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments i know! what's wrong with Angel? she was this adorable innocent little kid in the first 2(?) book(s)!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

i think she got possesed by the devil

message 43: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Crazy, creepy.... That's Angel.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

You know it's true! ;)

message 45: by [deleted user] (last edited May 03, 2010 03:12AM) (new)

angel is soo iffy lol. :P
and sorry guys i haven't been posting- i've been slightly confused :S
ANYWAY!!!!!!
are you guys gonna read the next few book???
the series is kinda like.
1-3 GOOD
4 HORRIBLE
5 AWESOME
6 *weeps*

So if you do continue- don't let book four stop you like it did me. Because trust me, he makes up for it in book 5 :D

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the way you ranked the books ;)

message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2010 11:26PM) (new)

ahahaha- thanks ^.^

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

No prob =P

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

ahaha

message 50: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Finished Angel Experiment...stupid cliff hanger *sigh*

Trying to decide whether I want to read another. I liked some aspects...others, not so much.

« previous 1