The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I have read a few of Neil Gaiman's books and it seems that no two are the same. I didn't like Neverwhere very much. It was a whole lot of nothing on a whole lot of pages. I didn't like any of the characters enough to care what happened and I didn't really like how it ended. Luckily, I had already read one of his other books, otherwise I doubt I would have picked up any more by him.

message 2: by Cairnraiser (new)

Cairnraiser | 16 comments I personally like Neverwhere, but a lot of people find that it's a collection of interesting ideas and characters that doesn't really come together. It is an early novel and it shows, I guess.

Neverwhere is essentially an expanded novelization of a TV-series Gaiman was writing for the BBC.
He was annoyed with the way the director kept cutting out bits and pieces, so he decided to turn it into a novel where he could keep everything.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa It makes me feel better to know it was written as a tv series. It felt choppy to me and that makes sense now. I like all his other stuff, but this one just didn't feel like his usual writing to me.

message 4: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
Richard Mayhew is a young man with a nice flat, good job and a fiancée. Then one night he finds a woman bleeding on the sidewalk and helps her out. Now Richard is one of the forgotten and finds himself in London’s Underground city. Determined to find his way back to his old life Richard is on a journey to help Door find who killed her family and get revenge.

Someone described this book as Alice in Wonderland meets Stephan King. I cant thing of a better description. I am not a fan of fantasy books but this one really sucked me in to the plot quickly and I ended up staying up late to finish it. To anyone who is a fan of fantasy I highly recommend.

message 5: by Trisha (new)

Trisha wow, I'm glad I stopped by here to make a comment. I had no idea of the above information and it makes much better sense.
The book was choppy, but I've read quite a bit of the other books from this author and I've read the YA stuff and it all seems pretty choppy and juvenile with silly characters and situations. I wasn't a big fan (not my fav. book by him) but I'm not sorry I read it.