Tudor History Lovers discussion

Authors, Authors, Authors! > Starkey being Starkey...again

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby (ebbythekiwi) | 4 comments I haven't posted here before so my apologies if this ends up in the wrong forum or thread!

Just wondering if everyone had heard Starkey's latest outburst. His latest gripe is that female historians are using their looks to sell their books: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic....

message 2: by Aly (last edited Apr 11, 2010 10:41PM) (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I posted a comment after the article. What an ass!!! As I said in my comment to the article, I could care less if it was an attractive man or woman who wrote a good book. I only care about the brain behind a book. And he did write about the "personal life" of Henry VIII!! He wrote his Six Wives book almost a decade AFTER Weir and Fraser did!! He had to jump on the bandwagon!!

message 3: by Thalia (new)

Thalia | 99 comments Mr Publicity himself accusses others of using something (ie their looks) to publicise their work...hmmm...smells a little off doesn't it, lol!

message 4: by Lushbug (new)

Lushbug | 14 comments How funy. I swear he says these things just to get a bit of tabloid column inches!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1956 comments If Mr. Starkey had looks himself, I'm sure he would use them. Honestly.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am enjoying all the comments. I am not familiar with Starkey myself, being a newbie, but he sounds like quite a character.

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby (ebbythekiwi) | 4 comments Exactly Susanna! I find his image so cultivated - the horn rimmed specs, cuff links and his shirts are always perfectly ironed and creased with interesting colour combinations. That perception of him, along with the snarky comments, helps his books to sell so his game is the same! I find him hilarious though and enjoy his banter. I don't really take these sorts of comments too seriously - maybe he is just jealous? ;)

message 8: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 66 comments I love his connection with women authors whose name starts with A.....what? He's a card.

message 9: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments HAHA. He's not an ass at all. Calm down everyone. He's just a stirrer. It's actually quite funny.

message 10: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) i'm with you, Claire. authors are like anybody else who have to promote their 'business.' Starkey promotes his books, his business, by being outrageous sometimes. i find it mildly amusing and i'm not offended because his books are really good. the authors that he poked at got some free publicity, too, which i'm sure they didn't mind.

message 11: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I'm not offended either. but he is an ass. He can promote his books however he wants, that doesn't make him any less of one.

message 12: by MAP (new)

MAP | 60 comments Nah, he's an ass. He called what I'm getting a PhD in a "pseudoscience" without even defining it correctly, an then thought handwriting analysis could tell us something about Henry VIII's personality.

He could give 10 million dollars to starving orphans; I'd still think he's an ass. ;)

Not that I am biased or anything. :p

message 13: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments What are you getting a PhD in, out of curiosity?

I think he's great. Haha i'd never think of him as an ass. =D

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1956 comments Unfortunately, Starkey is "being Starkey" yet again. About the riots - and it may cost him his TV career.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/...

message 15: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments He's right though. Everyone was taking what he said out of context and wasn't letting him finish. I don't think he's racist, he's just a bit pompous. Its just..mention the difference between races/social classes/people of different ages/religions and you'll always get slandered with something. Even if you were trying to be reasonable.

message 16: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Aug 15, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1956 comments It was unfortunately phrased, though.

ETA: He's definitely more than a bit pompous! I've met him.

message 17: by CF (new)

CF (mrsclairef) | 149 comments I've met him too! He was lovely to me! He hugged me! xD

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 14 comments It was a teachable video. I was able to use it in class.